Author Topic: Polar Bear Thoughts  (Read 12333 times)

Offline eelpie62

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Polar Bear Thoughts
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2008, 01:21:07 AM »
I'm guessing that a previous island move involved it suddenly appearing under a certain slave ship, leaving the ship mysteriously far in-land.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2008, 01:27:24 AM »
That'd be my guess too.  Maybe even a Nigerian Beechcraft.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2008, 01:57:46 AM »
@ 1st pass, I really liked Swank13's & One Bad Malafaala's thoughts however, there are these little nagging questions. ;)

Back to that polar bear idea...
How would they get the polar bear down there? Unless of course the trained it to insert metal objects into the chamber, activate it, climb down the ladder, clear ice so that the wheel could move, AND spin that wheel. Those are some pretty well trained bears... maybe I should get one. And did they really manage to stuff a polar bear and one or two people onto the Orchid elevator? I suppose your theory could hold water, but there are a couple things we need to know first. First and foremost: Is there any other way to get to the wheel? And if there was I don't think Ben would waste time with the collecting of metal and the exploding of the chamber. I don't know... call me skeptical but it's the little questions like these that get me to disagree.

The 'wheel' and the 'transporter' (Not a transporter in reality, but a time travel machine, Ben said it himself last night he said 'time traveling bunnies', not 'teleporting bunnies') are 2 completely different things.

I agree with Lost n Detroit.  The polar bear was time traveled teleported to Tunisia as an experiment.  The moving of the island is a much greater magic trick than the time traveling and is located at the core of the islands power.  The  time traveling pod simply channeled some of the power into a single energy source so that the traveling could take place.

The real question for me is, when Locke asked Ben "so is this the Magic Box"? and Ben said no, then what is the Magic Box?  I believe Ben was lying.
I agree that the polar bear was sent to Tunisia during an experiment.  Animal experimentation was shown with bunny #15.

I believe the Orchid to be the "magic box," in that it is used for time travel & teleportation, but yes, Ben did use that term metaphorically with Locke.  Locke did not simply wish his father into a big black top hat.  The Others brought him to Locke as tying up those loose ends was required in Locke's journey to where he is now.

I'm guessing that a previous island move involved it suddenly appearing under a certain slave ship, leaving the ship mysteriously far in-land.
Agreed, however Lindelof has said that the Beechcraft's crash was related to the Island's magnetic properties. 

Offline ericd543

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2008, 05:25:42 AM »
Did the polar bear Charlotte was examining have a Orchid Station collar on?

When 402 aired there was a screen cap of the Tunisian polar bear's collar posted here. It looks like the Hydra station logo on its collar.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 05:28:31 AM by ericd543 »

Offline LostinAlaska

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2008, 06:24:44 AM »
I do think it's a little silly to say the bears could push around that wheel in the babysized room a long ways down in the middle of the earth. However. Maybe we didn't see the whole room? Or maybe there's another way to get in, but not from the island's side? I should probably wiki info on polar bears. Somehow they're significant. Perhaps they accidentally found some kind of portal to get onto the island from wherever they came from? But this is Lost so maybe they just jumped on a plane and needed a vaca to Indonesia and a reason to use up their flyer miles  :-\

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2008, 07:00:59 AM »

yeah, I brought up that possibility several weeks ago as well. Seems the most logical explanation.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2008, 09:52:03 AM »

yeah, I brought up that possibility several weeks ago as well. Seems the most logical explanation.

I agree this is reasonable (to the extent that word makes sense when we're talking about teleportation and time travel). And if the Island were located off the coast of Africa not too many years ago, it would help explain the Nigerian plane.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2008, 12:19:56 PM »
If you can teach a polar bear to press a lever to get a fish cracker then you could certainly train it to push a wheel a few turns.  Plus, a polar bear is a lot stronger than Ben would be.

But I think teleportation is a by-product of releasing the energy, which turning the wheel did.  I'd assume they had more sophisticated ways to channel that energy (the bunny chamber).

As for having to blow up the chamber to get down into the wheel chamber.  Maybe that's just an emergency solution because they couldn't go the regular way since Keamy's men were around.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2008, 04:34:16 PM »
I imagine the reason for the explosion is similar to this... the normal way is blocked. But it can't be because of the mercs. They're all dead at this point.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2008, 04:38:13 PM »
Did I hear Hollowax correct on tape saying the bunny will "appear" to disappear?

Offline FrostyLosty

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2008, 05:13:38 PM »
Makes good sence, but how would a polar bear know when exactly to push the wheel?

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2008, 05:18:46 PM »
Makes good sence, but how would a polar bear know when exactly to push the wheel?

I had to laugh at this. Only in the world of Lost would we say a polar bear pushing a wheel to make an Island move in time and space makes sense.  ;D

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2008, 06:17:25 PM »

I had to laugh at this. Only in the world of Lost would we say a polar bear pushing a wheel to make an Island move in time and space makes sense.  ;D
LOL  Too funny. 

Dave says I'm just fine. ;D

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2008, 09:34:02 PM »
Charlie says hello, PL!

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2008, 02:40:35 PM »
Or cut a hole in the dashboard so he could get to the engine.

Exactly.

Even Hallowax stated on the VCR that the pod was utilising something which already existed in the first place. Ben didn't irrepairably damage anything - he just made it harder to use.