Author Topic: Did Jin really die in the explosion?  (Read 21048 times)

Offline newerakb

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: Did Jin really die in the explosion?
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2008, 02:05:41 AM »
The fact that there were no people in the water or on the deck of the boat during the explosion to me doesn't hint that he's alive, it more hints that they either were lazy with the CG, used a pyrotechnic shot and obviously didn't have people on it, or more likely haven't yet decided if Jin lives or dies so they didn't want a decisive answer in the shot.

When the explosion first happened, my gut reaction was that he jumped and survived, and then when the 6 go back to the island next season, there's a big reunion. But then the island disappeared, and since Jin would have been further from the island than the chopper at that point, there's no way he made it to the island. So now I'm about 80% sure he's dead, and can't imagine any scenario that involves him alive that would seem plausible. The only possibilities I can think of involve divine intervention or the island somehow taking him, and both of those seem like cop-outs as far as writing goes.

Offline golfstrom

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2008, 05:53:28 AM »
When I saw the scene with Jin running through the corridors, desperately trying to get to the upper deck, and then getting there to see the chopper fly off I couldn't help but think of a similar scene in "Platoon", when Elias is left to die...

Did anyone have the same impression?

Not that it explains anything but is another "intertextual" in Lost.

Offline bianconiglio

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2008, 10:33:51 AM »
I really hope he didn't...  :-[

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2008, 03:10:07 PM »
if you look at sledgeweb's own screenshot of the boat explosion.. theres NO ONE on the deck of the boat and Jin was standing right where the helicopter pad is

http://lost.cubit.net/archives/2008/05/4x13-boat-explosion.php
You realize that any pyrotechnic who destroys a boat with actors still on it is basically insane, right?

I say Jin is dead, but I've been saying that since Sun did back in Ji Yeon. Michael is most likely dead. Christian saying "You can go now" seemed like he was released and allowed to die.

And you do realize that was all done with CG on a computer. Fake actors would be easy to put in there. There were no actors in the water either.
Probably CG, although it might be easier just to blow a boat. However, adding in actors takes more time, takes more money, etc. The absence of actors in the water and on the boat to me just means they didn't have them there.

Offline Lostfanchrim

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2008, 03:44:40 PM »
Why else would Sun take over as Managing Director of paik Industries and then search out Charles Widmore to align herself with him? She wants to find the island just as much as Widmore does. IMO, Sun would not be doing this unless she hopes to find Jin alive when she finds the island again. She probably doesn't know if he is alive or not but, she IS trying to find him.

Just my 2 cents. I think Jin is alive.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2008, 10:19:37 PM »
OK to me It is definitely a CG shot, That was contracted out to a firm. The producers probably didn't want anything to get leaked so they just asked for an areal shot from a helicopter of a freighter exploding. The CG firm probably asked if people were on it and were told just make an empty boat we haven't decided if we are going to kill people off or not.

Thats my take on the whole scene.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2008, 11:01:36 PM »
Yunjin Kim was amazing in that scene..I felt like screaming and crying with her!  I really think she is the most underrated actress on the show!  I would love to see more of her and less Kate. 
I'd like to see more of both, actually...scantily dressed and whipping their hair around in slow motion.  8)

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2008, 11:03:30 PM »
Oh, and I think Jin is alive just as much as I thought Christian was dead. Which means Jin is alive.

Offline spazzledazzle

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2008, 09:14:57 AM »
but if he survived then he's stranded in the middle of the ocean since the island isnt there anymore... so he would die anyway even if he did survive the explosion.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2008, 09:48:25 AM »
It could be possible that Jin would transport with the Island while the gang in the chopper would not, even though closer to the Island

The island disappeared in a whirlpool in the ocean. I think it sucked in it everything surrounding, the people in the water,
Daniel on the boat and the remains of the freighter. The helicopter was in the air.
Like when you pull the table-cover you bring down everything on it, but not the lamp hanging above the table.
I think Jin is alive. 

Offline spazzledazzle

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2008, 11:23:09 AM »
i hope youre right. but still even if he did move with the island he still just survived an explosion where he must have been hurt because he was right next to it. and he was far away from the island in the water. how could he swim all the way to the island being hurt? i mean i was surprised sawyer made it to the island being so far from it. i hope jin is alive though and i hope we have a jin/sun reunion like the des/penny one. but not for awhile or it would be too corny.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2008, 01:45:47 PM »
It could be possible that Jin would transport with the Island while the gang in the chopper would not, even though closer to the Island

The island disappeared in a whirlpool in the ocean. I think it sucked in it everything surrounding, the people in the water,
Daniel on the boat and the remains of the freighter.
The helicopter was in the air.
Like when you pull the table-cover you bring down everything on it, but not the lamp hanging above the table.
I think Jin is alive. 

Not like that, Think of a boat in the water. It displaces water equal to the total weight of the boat. If you make the boat disappear instantaneously, there will be a void in the water the shape of the hull. The water will instantly start filling the gap. This is what we saw after the island disappeared. Now I am not saying the island was floating, just that it displaces water also.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2008, 03:45:39 PM »
Yunjin Kim was amazing in that scene..I felt like screaming and crying with her!  I really think she is the most underrated actress on the show!  I would love to see more of her and less Kate. 
I'd like to see more of both, actually...scantily dressed and whipping their hair around in slow motion.  8)

Here you go.

http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php?topic=2543.msg111153#msg111153

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2008, 04:02:53 PM »

Here you go.

:D

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2008, 04:15:13 PM »

Here you go.

:D

She's my favorite on the show.