Author Topic: Locke's reason for leaving the island...  (Read 11799 times)

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Locke's reason for leaving the island...
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2008, 07:01:02 AM »
He wouldn't leave the Island to visit the O6 unless he knew they were alive and knew roughly where to find them.

If the Island was completely shielded from the outside world, wouldn't the Others and remaining Losties assume that the O6 died on the freighter, or the helicopter ran out of fuel?

Jacob is still there. He seems to know where to find Hurley (Charly) and Jack (Christian). He knows how to cure cancer and who is on the freighter. You don't just go to visit him, he calls you.
He is the one playing chess and deciding the next move. The others did what Ben told them to do, because he was the only one who could hear Jacob. Now Locke is the one communicating with Jacob. Locke asked Jacob what to do and he said the next step was to move the island. If Jacob told Locke to leave the island and get the 6 back, he will do that. He is finished yelling "don't tell me what I can't do". He just does what Jacob tells him to do or not to do.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2008, 09:40:39 AM »
The problem with Christian being on the island before all of this is that no one, not even his mother made a mention of "that time your father went missing for so long".

Offline quick127

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2008, 11:29:23 AM »
Though it could have been well before he met and married his wife.

Also - I'm not entirely convinced that every "ghost" we see is necessarily some sort of representation of Jacob.  I think, like Miles, Hurley has an ability to communicate with the dead.  I think Dave was once a real person, just as Charlie was.

I think Hurley does not yet realize that this is a gift he has because it started when he was in a mental institution.  He entered Santa Rosa because of the numbers and his bad luck.  He met Dave there.  Patients in mental institutions don't tend to BEGIN manifesting delusions and hallucinations once they have been put on their drugs.

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2008, 12:26:16 PM »
Think Dave "if" Hurley is seeing dead people like Miles possibly died at Santa Rosa as a patient?

Offline quick127

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2008, 12:43:08 PM »
Maybe, but not necessarily.  I can't remember back to the Dave episode - bit I feel like if the name had been on record, the staff would've made some mention of that.

But then, who's to say these 'ghosts' have to be honest with the people who can communicate with them?

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2008, 02:07:56 PM »
I think Hurley does not yet realize that this is a gift he has because it started when he was in a mental institution.  He entered Santa Rosa because of the numbers and his bad luck.  He met Dave there.  Patients in mental institutions don't tend to BEGIN manifesting delusions and hallucinations once they have been put on their drugs.

He entered Santa Rosa, because he was depressed after an accident where some people died. He learned the numbers from Leonard there and played them in the lotery later. Then he went to Australia to meet the man, who had more info about the numbers. He got medication after he started seeing Dave. Later on the island he saw Dave again.

I think Miles can communicate with the dead when the souls are still with the body, like Naomi and Rousseau or when the spirits stay in one place and don't want to leave, like in the house of the boy. When Sayid wanted to bring Naomi to the freighter Miles said that wasn't Naomi, just meat.
Hurley talks to Charlie, Eko and Dave in places where their spirits are not. That's why I think it is something different.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2008, 04:34:54 PM »
Well thought and well spoken, Opge!

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2008, 07:26:24 PM »
Maybe, but not necessarily.  I can't remember back to the Dave episode - bit I feel like if the name had been on record, the staff would've made some mention of that.

But then, who's to say these 'ghosts' have to be honest with the people who can communicate with them?
Dave was part of Hurley's consciousness. He only had bad advice for Hurley. Most likely not a benevolent dead guy like Charlie.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2008, 05:00:59 PM »
It's highly possible that it was Locke from the future and present-day Locke is still alive on the Island.

It could have taken a decade for things to go bad under Locke's rule.

I know that dead-Locke looked much the same age as alive-Locke, but Richard doesn't appear to age either.

Ben might be up to something sneaky by telling Jack to take dead-Locke back to the Island... It's highly likely that Locke-from-the-future had no intention of going to the Island himself because meeting one's past or future self could cause a rift in time. Maybe dumping dead-Locke from the future on present-Locke's doorstep at Otherville would cause some kind of cosmic feedback, enabling Ben to return to the Island.

Now this is interesting...

There's an official Lost fan Wiki which I only stumbled across today...

http://www.losttvfans.com

It's definitely official: http://www.wetpaintcentral.com/page/October+2006

Wetpaint Site of the Month

Lost is the hottest show on TV, and those scruffy, yet still well-dressed castaways are using Wetpaint to host ABC.com's official Lost wiki. Join other fans to discuss each new episode, keep tabs on the evolving theories, write your own original Lost haiku, and much more!

On the Wiki's "Characters" page, Locke is listed in the category of Alive and on the Island - albeit with an asterisk next to his name, denoting Dead in the future...

http://www.losttvfans.com/page/Characters

Looks like I was right. Again. lol

:)

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2008, 12:39:16 PM »
It's highly possible that it was Locke from the future and present-day Locke is still alive on the Island.

It could have taken a decade for things to go bad under Locke's rule.

I know that dead-Locke looked much the same age as alive-Locke, but Richard doesn't appear to age either.

Ben might be up to something sneaky by telling Jack to take dead-Locke back to the Island... It's highly likely that Locke-from-the-future had no intention of going to the Island himself because meeting one's past or future self could cause a rift in time. Maybe dumping dead-Locke from the future on present-Locke's doorstep at Otherville would cause some kind of cosmic feedback, enabling Ben to return to the Island.

Now this is interesting...

There's an official Lost fan Wiki which I only stumbled across today...

http://www.losttvfans.com

It's definitely official: http://www.wetpaintcentral.com/page/October+2006

Wetpaint Site of the Month

Lost is the hottest show on TV, and those scruffy, yet still well-dressed castaways are using Wetpaint to host ABC.com's official Lost wiki. Join other fans to discuss each new episode, keep tabs on the evolving theories, write your own original Lost haiku, and much more!

On the Wiki's "Characters" page, Locke is listed in the category of Alive and on the Island - albeit with an asterisk next to his name, denoting Dead in the future...

http://www.losttvfans.com/page/Characters

Looks like I was right. Again. lol

:)

I have to read the wiki article to comment further, but just looking at what is before me, isn't it a safe bet to say that technically, everyone is dead in the future??

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2008, 04:31:55 PM »
Also, just looking at what's before me and if we just take what we've seen on the show at face value....

Locke is alive and living on the Island in the 2004-5 time frame, but dead in the 2008-9 time frame. I'm not entirely sure any more which of these should be called the present.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2008, 05:02:06 PM »
Okay Locke hits the mainland and is dead.  but when he goes back to the island he is alive!
Mmmmm something to ponder. 

I think I have come to the conclusion that some characters must die on order for this to move to the next level and I keep thinking of what Richard told Locke when he gave him Sawyers dossier.

he told him to figure out what his purpose was.  I mean if Locke as a child could never pick the right thing for Richard then what makes us think that he will do the right thing when given the opportunity to do it now that he is on the island?

So if he makes the wrong choice then voila, he is killed. Could that be what happened to Christian too?

I mean it appears he left because he had to convince them to come back and then it appears there were forces attempting to stop them from coming back.

Hmmm

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2008, 12:44:59 AM »
I was actually against the teleportation/time travel thing, but I guess I can't argue it now, so I might as well start trying to make it make sense.
Ahh, it's so much fun to be right!

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2008, 01:42:24 PM »
I was actually against the teleportation/time travel thing, but I guess I can't argue it now, so I might as well start trying to make it make sense.
Ahh, it's so much fun to be right!

Isn't validation the best??