Author Topic: Locke's reason for leaving the island...  (Read 16194 times)

Offline quick127

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Locke's reason for leaving the island...
« on: May 30, 2008, 12:18:58 AM »
Keeping it short, because I'm sure the forums are going to be flooded tonight.

Anyway.

Locke would never willingly leave the island.  It is the solution to all his woes, it has brought out the inner-suvivalist in him.  He is accepted, followed, and leads there.

So why would he leave?

Who else was fond of the island?  Ben.  Ben (excluding the clear hiccups) was accepted, followed, and led on the island.  Why did he leave?  Because he had to.  In order to preserve the island - he had to move it.

So, my guess is we'll find out that Widmore got his hooks into the island again - found it.  Sought it.  And Locke was forced to leave, in order to save the island he loves, and all the people there.

He had to move the island again.

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: Locke's reason for leaving the island...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 12:20:25 AM »
He told Jack bad things had happened since he left and that it was Jack's fault...he left the island to come get them to come back. IMO

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 12:23:26 AM »
He told Jack bad things had happened since he left and that it was Jack's fault...he left the island to come get them to come back. IMO
Yup simple and sweet...

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 12:24:22 AM »
Ben said that if you move the island you cant go back.  Then Ben tells Jack that Locke has to go back too.  So I dont think Locke moved the island again. 

I think he will be dead until they get back to the island and then he will live again.  He dies to get them to come back and then arises again when he is there.

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 12:25:46 AM »
Yup simple and sweet...
Sometimes I say smart things....sometimes ;)

Offline quick127

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 12:35:14 AM »
Maybe - but Ben also seemed to indicate that he'd be joining them in their quest back to the island.

How would Locke have gotten off of the island?  Unless they have more surprise vehicles to transport themselves off.

Bad things start happening - but you guys know John Locke, he would have waited as long as possible before admitting that he wasn't in control of the situation.  I don't see him willingly leaving that island unless it was absolutely necessary.

Besides - even if it was moved again - there's no telling if Ben knew any of the new locations.  His "ideas" for getting them back probably involve finding the location first - and not merely methods to get them there.

Offline Point Place WI

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 12:35:47 AM »
Ben said he could leave and Richard and Company agreed.  So, obviously Jacob disagreed.  Well Jack never met Jacob and also never accepted the fact that the island was this magical place.  Much like myself.  So, even if off island Jeremy/Locke told him it was his fault.  How the hell would Jack know?  He is a man of Science baby deal with it. 

Offline FoxyMama

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 12:38:00 AM »
I don't think Ben indicated that he would be going back with them.  He was more specific - you, all of you have to go back. 

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 12:38:11 AM »
Ben said he could leave and Richard and Company agreed.  So, obviously Jacob disagreed.  Well Jack never met Jacob and also never accepted the fact that the island was this magical place.  Much like myself.  So, even if off island Jeremy/Locke told him it was his fault.  How the hell would Jack know?  He is a man of Science baby deal with it. 
A man of science who keeps seeing his dead daddy everywhere. That poor boy's head is spinning right now, and he is not thinking about science :P

Offline roland10488

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 12:39:04 AM »
I don't want to sound like a debbie downer as far as the "locke being revived" theory goes (because i'm a diehard locke fan too!), but his body is full of embalming fluids and stuff...that would kind of suck to be brought back to life to... :-\

Offline Cuppajoey

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 12:45:13 AM »
How would Locke have gotten off of the island?  Unless they have more surprise vehicles to transport themselves off.
But remember that Ben and the others could come and go as they wished, so maybe Locke (I just can't call him Jeremy!) has been making trips off the island to get the Oceanic 6 to come back?

Offline Hippoeki

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 12:48:57 AM »
The Others came and went as they wished with the sub which went boom.

However, and maybe I'm remembering this wrong, isn't Desmond's boat still on the Island?

Offline FoxyMama

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 12:50:12 AM »
But what "bad things" could have happened?  A revolt?  Richard and the others convince him to gas the new people, like he did with Ben?  ???  Arggghhh - Too many questions!  :P

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 12:51:27 AM »
I don't think Ben indicated that he would be going back with them.  He was more specific - you, all of you have to go back. 
I agree, I didnt read anything into what Ben said as he would be joining them....

Offline quick127

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 12:52:43 AM »
They came and went only a couple ways that I'm aware of.
By submarine - which Locke blew up
By boat - which Michael took.

Even if Ben isn't indicating that he can come back with them, and even if Ben did say he couldn't return - how many times has Ben lied right to John Locke's face in order to maintain some sort of upper-hand in their relationship.

How many times has he lied to other people to maintain his upper-hand?

And yeah - I sort of doubt a freshly embalmed Locke will be coming back to life - but who knows?  He couldn't walk before he went there...

Another idea, probably for another thread: cloning?  In the comic-con version of the Orchid Orientation video - there were 2 identical bunnies.  Patchy came back from a few things that should have meant death (shooting pints of blood from the ears, taking a harpoon to the chest...).  Perhaps Locke isn't the only Lock there is.

Just an idea.  A crazy one.  But an idea nonetheless.  Could explain the seemingly ageless Richard Alpert, too.