Author Topic: The Others' Off-Island Activities  (Read 3667 times)

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
The Others' Off-Island Activities
« on: May 28, 2008, 05:23:07 PM »
We know they own Mittellos Biosciences and possibly Herarat Aviation, but why?

Do they really need to make money? They seem pretty self-sufficient on the Island.

The companies are evidently used as some kind of a front to recruit possible members, like Juliet and Locke... However, they didn't have to cajole or influence Anthony Cooper onto the Island - it really does seem like he was simply "taken".

They're more than likely responsible for the disproportionate number of automobile incidents surrounding the Losties, their friends and families.

When Mikhail entered the Looking Glass station, he told Bonnie and Greta, "I thought you two were on assignment in Canada". What kind of assignment?

Which of the other characters do we believe to be off-Island Others? Libby? Cindy? Arturo? Sarah? Christian?

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: The Others' Off-Island Activities
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 05:32:59 PM »
I expect we'll find there are extensive off-Island holdings. How they financed those initially remains a mystery though.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 07:56:05 PM »
As for the financial aspects of this discussion, my understanding is that they (the Others) are still being funded by the Hanso Foundation.  That was Locke's point to Ben in "The Man from Tallahassee" when he called him a hypocrite.  Ben was deriving benefits from the original Dharma Initiative financiers, but he wasn't remaining true to the original purpose of the project.

With Widmore's (& Paik's) affiliations with Hanso, that also explains Widmore's detest for Ben.  Ben has been stealing from Charles.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 08:08:15 PM »
As for the financial aspects of this discussion, my understanding is that they (the Others) are still being funded by the Hanso Foundation.  That was Locke's point to Ben in "The Man from Tallahassee" when he called him a hypocrite.  Ben was deriving benefits from the original Dharma Initiative financiers, but he wasn't remaining true to the original purpose of the project.

I didn't interpret the conversation along those lines at all. I thought that Locke was inferring they should all be living like cavemen instead of Peyton Place.

I'm pretty sure that the Hanso Foundation aren't financing The Others.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:19:27 PM »

I didn't interpret the conversation along those lines at all. I thought that Locke was inferring they should all be living like cavemen instead of Peyton Place.

I'm pretty sure that the Hanso Foundation aren't financing The Others.
Do you have theories on why the food drops had continued?

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 08:53:51 PM »
Do you have theories on why the food drops had continued?

Yep. I posted a theory about this recently. I think Ben's behind it.

Basically, I think there's a bunker with all this food inside. All the food has a preposterously long shelf-life, so could have been stored for years. I don't think it's an infinite supply, but enough to last a few years more, if rationed to being "delivered" every so often.

The more senior Others planted the food drops at the Losties' camp in the dark, whilst the Losties slept.

Ben kept up the pretence of no provisions arriving for his people, by writing about this in his journal (which is most probably a catalogue of misinformation for the benefit of snooping Others).

http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Ben's_diary#Interpreted_text

Seeing as Tom made it to NYC and back to the Island with no apparent problem, I'm sure Ben could just stock-up on groceries at a Wal-Mart someplace and bring them back! To the lesser Others like Juliet, the food drops were just another illusion (like "having to" travel by submarine), maintaining a facade that they were being looked after - but far-removed from civilzation.

Why would Ben want to give the DHARMA supplies to the Losties and not his own people? Because he needed the women of child-bearing age to remain healthy?... Because he wanted the Losties to have a false feeling of security before they were attacked?... Because he wanted the survivors of Flight 815 to survive?... I'm unsure of this... I still can't work out why Tom was told to shoot into the sand rather than into Bernard, Sayid and Jin.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 05:02:26 PM »
I agree with Mango re the living conditions. I think Locke believes they should be getting back to nature. Which appears to be the way they were living before Ben took over.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 06:30:24 PM »
Okay... Jill is an off-Island Other. And they own a butchers store too!

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 08:56:51 PM »
I was just going to say that about the butcher shop! 

Plus, may I add that your TV screen thingy is just hysterical, MangoBingo?  I love it so... I've seen it I don't know how many times, and yet I watch it all the way through and laugh like a hyena every time!   ;D

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 06:04:50 AM »
Plus, may I add that your TV screen thingy is just hysterical, MangoBingo?  I love it so... I've seen it I don't know how many times, and yet I watch it all the way through and laugh like a hyena every time!   ;D

:D It's just silly really. Glad you found it funny! p.s. I don't really think my theories are the best, by the way. I was trying to be tongue-in-cheek.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 07:19:48 AM »
I'm hoping we get to see the activities of alt-Cindy and alt-Libby. I'm convinced they were always Others.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 05:49:08 PM »
I'm hoping we get to see the activities of alt-Cindy and alt-Libby. I'm convinced they were always Others.
Yes yes!  Me toooooo!