Author Topic: SMOKEY ONLY KILLED 3  (Read 1732 times)

Offline solost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
SMOKEY ONLY KILLED 3
« on: May 27, 2008, 03:17:38 PM »
After watching all of S4 again over the long Holiday weekend, I realised sometime.Smokey has only killed three people. With all the noise,smoke and exploding earth and flying trees, it only killed 3. The first was the pilot of 815. The next was Eko. The last was Mayhue. Eko was killed because he would not ask for forgiveness for what he had done in his life. Mayhue was killed because he was there to harm the island(I am sure there are other reasons that he was killed but we don't know them yet). We don't know why the other mercs were not killed,that still has to be explained. For me the big question is,why did it kill the pilot? What don't we know yet about Seth Norris?

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: SMOKEY ONLY KILLED 3
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 03:49:42 PM »
Three is three too many, and these are just the ones we've seen, but I take your point.

If there's something sentient behind Smokie it'd be interesting to know why it killed the pilot but let Eko and Locke escape unmolested (at least the first time it met them).

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 04:04:55 PM »
The reason the pilot was killed is because they needed a good hook for the story. This was the pilot episode, the episode they had to show the ABC execs to make a decision on weather or not to give the show a green light. The idea of having the losties crash on an island that had healing abilities wasn't enough they needed a giant Monster as the "villian" for the first episode. Remember how they didn't want to enter the jungle for fear of being killed? Now they trek back and forth accross the island with no to very little mention or sight of smokie.

Smokie was not seen very much in the first few episodes but he was heard alot. To quote some guy "less is more in suspense movies". What we imagined the "monster" to be or look like was more frightning to us then what the writers could come up with.

So to sum it up, I wouldn't look too much into a motive on why the pilot was killed. It was just to add suspense and set up the fact that the monster kills.

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 04:18:25 PM »
Motive on why the piolt was killed?

Ah... should we not look into the fact that the piolt was killed and now Frank is on the island. I would think that there is a lot to do with the piolt being killed off.

"I was suppose to be the piolt of OC815"....Frank

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 04:22:40 PM »
The writers had no clue about this at the time they wrote that it killed the pilot IMO.  Smokie was intended to be  a 'scary element' added to the plot to make the story exciting, but doubtful that the writers had ascribed any 'sentient' qualities to it at that time.  Of course they will say that they had it all mapped out beforehand, but I say it's highly doubtful.

At the time that Smokie killed the pilot, the pilot was about to reveal some very important information that would have helped fans figure out what brought the plane down.  The writers do not want that revealed that early in the storyline (especially because they didn't have the ending date and so on, so that had no idea how long the show would go on), so they conveniently have Smokie kill the pilot to avoid any revelations now or in the future.

Offline solost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 04:28:43 PM »
Motive on why the piolt was killed?

Ah... should we not look into the fact that the piolt was killed and now Frank is on the island. I would think that there is a lot to do with the piolt being killed off.

"I was suppose to be the piolt of OC815"....Frank
I'm with you, I think there is a connection!

Offline Gar O Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 04:35:10 PM »
Hum... Good point.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 05:01:25 PM »
Three is three too many, and these are just the ones we've seen, but I take your point.

If there's something semisentient behind Smokie it'd be interesting to know why it killed the pilot but let Eko and Locke escape unmolested (at least the first time it met them).

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 07:04:50 PM »
The writers had no clue about this at the time they wrote that it killed the pilot IMO.  Smokie was intended to be  a 'scary element' added to the plot to make the story exciting, but doubtful that the writers had ascribed any 'sentient' qualities to it at that time.  Of course they will say that they had it all mapped out beforehand, but I say it's highly doubtful.

At the time that Smokie killed the pilot, the pilot was about to reveal some very important information that would have helped fans figure out what brought the plane down.  The writers do not want that revealed that early in the storyline (especially because they didn't have the ending date and so on, so that had no idea how long the show would go on), so they conveniently have Smokie kill the pilot to avoid any revelations now or in the future.

I thought the most that the pilot gave out as information was that they were off course 1,000 miles and he didn't understand what happened. I don't think the pilot knew what made them go off course so far. As for Smokey and the pilot, there could have been something in his past for Smokey to kill him. Or now that we know, Ben has control, he could have sent Smokey for a snack.

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 07:26:04 PM »
or maybe like every one was saying frank was supposed to be there didn't go  and now he is anyway. course correction anyone? The island will get you there one way or the other. I say connection. (much more interesting than pilot ratings , so I'll put my fingers in my ears and go lal alallalalalalaallalal)  ;)

Offline Maddog13

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 07:42:15 PM »
He had to film Heroes

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 09:46:04 AM »
The pilot was killed because 1. he was off course, 2. he littered Smokey's island with a plane, 4. only you can prevent forest fires and 3. beacuse it adds to suspense as was mentioned above  ;)

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 11:23:01 AM »
I believe we have to go deeper in the analysis of Smokey's behavior.
As the people it scanned. Locke when he resumed the escape, was scanned alone; then Eko, with Charlie as witness; and the last one we know is Juliet, without Kate noticing.
More, it kills Seth and Eko brutally, but with Locke it only tries to capture.
Finally, we learn that it can be controlled or at least called by humans.
i will finished my line of though later.

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 11:26:41 AM »
He had to film Heroes
I have to agree with this theory. I think it is that simply Greg was doing Heroes and he was just making his normal JJ cameo.

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 01:43:36 PM »
CUZ THAT PILOT WASN'T WANTED BY THE ISLAND DUHHHHHHHHHH LMFAO