Author Topic: SO, who does Sun say is the baby's dad?  (Read 4833 times)

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: SO, who does Sun say is the baby's dad?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 01:17:33 PM »
As noted earlier an ob-gyn could pinpoint the date of conception just as Juliet did.
i agree with this completely.  you can pinpoint how old a fetus is just by ultrasound, and later in pregnancy by measuring the "size" of the uterus by touch.  i think it would be next to impossible for someone to fall for the "i got pg before i was on the island" when she actually got pregnant after being on the island.  i smell and interesting story line as to who she says the baby is.

We are only talking 23 days or so. The OB/GYN use the start of your last period and ultrasound to determine DOC. 23 Days is not that big of a deal, all 3 of my kids were at least 7lbs 3 weeks before delivery.
oh, i agree that kids can be born that early, BUT, using an ultrasound (which most, if not all do now) will determine that the DOC is not within the timeline BEFORE the crash.  very easily.  there would be no doubting the baby was conceived on island.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 05:52:57 PM »
Yes but that would be one doctor that would know the truth.  There is this thing call confidentiality that says you cant let the public know about these things without consent of the patient.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 10:31:08 AM »
As long as DNA testing shows the baby is Jin's, I doubt anything more would be made of it. Only a doctor would even be in the position TO question it, and as it's already been pointed out Dharma/Widmore/Oceanic could be using their own doctors for the sake of keeping that little tidbit secret.
The DNA can't in this case. His father is not confirmed to be his progenitor and doubt his mother is anywhere to be found. There is no place to catch DNA from Jin's family to compare the profile.

Now, I don't want to be "that guy", but do you ever watch television?? They can DNA of Jin's from a million places. I'm not talking about CSI:Miami, or CSI:Las Vegas, or CSI:New York, or CSI:Topeka Kansas, etc., but I mean the actual shows were you can learn something factual about the way that criminalists can collect evidence (Cold Case Files, Forensic Files, North Mission Road, etc.). I'm sure that the fertility doctor that Jin and Sun went to has something of his frozen somewhere to compare it to. But like I said, I don't really think that this is going to be that important of an issue on the show.

Bob, what you say is certainly possible, but I think the folks who are behind the cover up would not want that loose end. So I think it's more likely they're supplying the medical coverage for both our O6 moms.

Okay, fair enough, so they (the people doing the coverup) use one of their doctors, problem solved. Yes?? No??

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 10:54:02 AM »
Yes but that would be one doctor that would know the truth.  There is this thing call confidentiality that says you cant let the public know about these things without consent of the patient.
that's true!  i hadn't really thought about that.  hmm...  but you would still think SOMEONE would leak the information.  i mean that's info that could make some office hand a rich woman if they leak it to the gossip mag.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 01:12:56 PM »
As long as DNA testing shows the baby is Jin's, I doubt anything more would be made of it. Only a doctor would even be in the position TO question it, and as it's already been pointed out Dharma/Widmore/Oceanic could be using their own doctors for the sake of keeping that little tidbit secret.
The DNA can't in this case. His father is not confirmed to be his progenitor and doubt his mother is anywhere to be found. There is no place to catch DNA from Jin's family to compare the profile.

Anything from their home could be used, such as one of Jin's hairs from a hairbrush. And at the very least they would assume Jin's father was indeed his biological father and possibly use his DNA for testing reasons. But the main thing is who would bother to even want to do DNA testing? I don't think anyone would have any real reason to doubt Sun's story. And even if they did, she would still have to give permission for any DNA testing to be done on her child.

Offline quietfan

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 01:41:41 PM »
It seems like everyone is forgetting the time travel issue. Maybe the O6 arrive back in our world at an earlier time making is possible that the baby was conceived before the crash. I also agree with Lastandseek about who provides the medical coverage.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 08:47:20 PM »
Welcome, Quiet! Feel free to make some noise here.  ;)

I don't think they could time travel back getting off the Island. If they go back only a few days they'd have to be on the freighter already. If they go back further than that then presumably nobody would be there to pick them up. Plus the timeline of the cover story seemed to match the time they've spent on the Island.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 06:39:09 PM »
As noted earlier an ob-gyn could pinpoint the date of conception just as Juliet did.
i agree with this completely.  you can pinpoint how old a fetus is just by ultrasound, and later in pregnancy by measuring the "size" of the uterus by touch.  i think it would be next to impossible for someone to fall for the "i got pg before i was on the island" when she actually got pregnant after being on the island.  i smell and interesting story line as to who she says the baby is.
Is it possible that Sun would avoid an OB/GYN until birth?

Offline LostinAlaska

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 04:43:10 AM »
Haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere so here goes:

Since the O6 are sticking with their story that Jin died in the crash, how does Sun explain her pregnancy?  Who does she say is the baby's daddy?  It would have to be one of th O8 (minus herself, kate & aaron).  That leaves:  Jack, Hurley, Sayid & the unknown O2.  So who does she say?

For Kate's saying "I was 6 month's pregnant and gave birth on the island & my baby is 5 weeks old" is one thing, that would be difficult for to prove otherwise.  BUT, the first time Sun has an ultrasound the doctor is going to KNOW when the baby was conceived.  So who is she saying is the daddy?

ideas??

That is an excellent question! I see what you're saying too. There's only a problem of the truth getting out if they make her take a DNA test. Why would they ask Sun for a DNA test? Other then that it's really flexible as far as how big or small the baby is and lying about the DOC or when it's due. Unless it passes up 10 months of being pregnant there's usually no questions. If it's born to early, and huge, then maybe they'd have questions? I guess what I mean is if this particular issue doesn't come up in the show, I get why. BUT I still see what you're saying! I think it'd be plausible for Jin to still be dad if said she got preggers the day of the flight though. For some crazy reason. I just believe it??? haha I'm no help, sorry :-\

Offline LostinAlaska

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 04:47:19 AM »
If this helps at all my baby was born 3 weeks early and 6 lb 6 oz. Even though she was born "early" it is said that it's common for doctors to give or take a month. DOC is never right on or rarely RARELY is... trust me. It's like baby central where I live.

Offline eelpie62

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2008, 01:41:40 PM »
Welcome, Quiet! Feel free to make some noise here.  ;)

I don't think they could time travel back getting off the Island. If they go back only a few days they'd have to be on the freighter already. If they go back further than that then presumably nobody would be there to pick them up. Plus the timeline of the cover story seemed to match the time they've spent on the Island.

It wouldn't need to be time travel per se, there is a proven time differential between off island and on island. The payload took all that extra time to get to the island, the helicopter took extra time to get to the freighter and the doctor was seen alive on the boat after his body had washed up on the shore.
Therefore, Sun's accurately described DOC could possibly be in line with a conception via Jin before 815 left Sydney. We still don't know the date of the O6 arrival off island as compared to the crash-plus-days date on island.