Author Topic: Jack's appendicitis  (Read 3113 times)

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Jack's appendicitis
« on: May 17, 2008, 11:25:31 AM »
Last week we posited a number of theories about why the Powers would choose this moment to give Jack appendicitis. The consensus to the extent there was one, was related to early signs of dependency, but I'm thinkin' there may be something more.

Jack would want to be the last person off the Island. He's promised everyone he'll get them off. So what would make him leave early? Perhaps he becomes incapacitated, tears his stitches out or whatever. Get him to medical care on the ship immediately then go back for the rest. Oops, coulda sworn we left the Island right there....

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Jack's appendicitis
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 11:31:29 AM »
Last week we posited a number of theories about why the Powers would choose this moment to give Jack appendicitis. The consensus to the extent there was one, was related to early signs of dependency, but I'm thinkin' there may be something more.

Jack would want to be the last person off the Island. He's promised everyone he'll get them off. So what would make him leave early? Perhaps he becomes incapacitated, tears his stitches out or whatever. Get him to medical care on the ship immediately then go back for the rest. Oops, coulda sworn we left the Island right there....
good theory!  that's exactly what his appendicities might cause happen.  he HAS to get off because of infection (he already said his body was fighting the infection around the wound).  but who is he going to explain did the surgery?  kate? 

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 11:57:20 AM »
Probably. Didn't he say in his testimony that Kate saved him, saved them all?

Alternatively maybe they pick someone else who was on the plane and had some medical training to be one of the O2. Heck, maybe Bernard.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 02:11:46 PM »
How would anyone know about his appendicitis?? I know that the survivors are giving a story about the island, but I doubt they're giving every last (fake) detail. Unless Jack shows that he has a scar, I really dount that people will know he had his appendix taken out.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 06:26:47 PM »
i agree with bob.  there is no reason to tell everyone that he had his appendix removed

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 06:30:01 PM »
Ok, so the original post didn't happen.

BUT, TPTB didn't do a blessed thing with the appendicitis. Jack even tore his friggin stitches and he's perfectly fine. W.T.Frig?

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 03:05:38 PM »
Who cares. Maybe the point was more to show that the survivors didn't need jack to be in charge all the time.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 03:53:08 PM »
Who cares. Maybe the point was more to show that the survivors didn't need jack to be in charge all the time.
But he was still asserting authority the entire time.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 04:14:34 PM »
But he was still asserting authority the entire time.

And no one was listening to him really.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 06:58:01 PM »
Ok, so the original post didn't happen.

BUT, TPTB didn't do a blessed thing with the appendicitis. Jack even tore his friggin stitches and he's perfectly fine. W.T.Frig?

Yeah, wrong again, dang!

I now have no clue why we had to suffer through the appendicitis story. We could have been finding out more about Claire!!

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 11:48:42 PM »
I mean, who wants more Jack air time? The only thing mildly useful from that whole scene was that Juliet told Kate that they kissed.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 01:55:37 AM »
What had me thinking is that the island heals certain people: John Locke and Rose for example...so why did Jack get sick?  Is it because he doesn't have faith?  Just a thought.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 09:51:05 AM »
How about this as a possibility, maybe we were suppossed to think that Juliette had done to Jack what the Others did to Claire, and the appendicitis was them showing us that Juliette is actually trustworthy. Personally, I don't trust Juliette, but that might have been what they were going for.