Author Topic: Alex/Horace/Purge  (Read 4718 times)

Offline Lady Penelope

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Alex/Horace/Purge
« on: May 12, 2008, 05:43:59 PM »
I'm a bit confused........not difficult with this program!!!

Danielle said in an early eps from season 1 or 2 I think that she was pregnant when she came to the island and shortly after she had Alex she was kidnapped (while still a babe in arms). Alex is now 16.

Horace said that he has been dead for 12 years. Thats when the purge was.

So this mean that Ben had already stolen Alex at the time of the purge?

Where would Be have kept her? I suppose Richard could have helped but I don't know.

Anyway I thought that the sickness that Danielle talked about when her whole crew died tie in with the purge and the release of this toxic gas......looks like I may be wrong!

Can anyone help clarify this timeline??

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Alex/Horace/Purge
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 06:03:29 PM »
I'm a bit confused........not difficult with this program!!!

Danielle said in an early eps from season 1 or 2 I think that she was pregnant when she came to the island and shortly after she had Alex she was kidnapped (while still a babe in arms). Alex is now 16.

Horace said that he has been dead for 12 years. Thats when the purge was.

So this mean that Ben had already stolen Alex at the time of the purge?

Where would Be have kept her? I suppose Richard could have helped but I don't know.

Anyway I thought that the sickness that Danielle talked about when her whole crew died tie in with the purge and the release of this toxic gas......looks like I may be wrong!

Can anyone help clarify this timeline??

Well, there were already Others living outside the DHARMA barracks, so I guess Alex was taken care of by them, whilst Ben went about his day-to-day DHARMA duties for a few more years, prior to the purge. He must have bounced her on his knee just at evenings and weekends, I suppose.

I think that a lot of what Danielle said was either allegorical or at least exaggerated. I don't think Ben was being faceitious when he referred to her as crazy.

Lostpedia has the best timeline:

http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Timeline

Offline hatch4815162342

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 06:15:13 PM »
production error???

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 06:40:25 PM »
...Actually that timeline at Lostpedia has been edited to state that Anthony Cooper was born in the 1920s and that he is John's biological father - neither of which have been proved and I actually disagree with entirely!

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 08:51:12 PM »
I'll go with the 13 August 1944 birth date.

Offline Lady Penelope

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 06:17:15 AM »
Thanks for the timeline link!! It helps with a few queries I had!
 ;)

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 02:12:34 PM »
...Actually that timeline at Lostpedia has been edited to state that Anthony Cooper was born in the 1920s and that he is John's biological father - neither of which have been proved and I actually disagree with entirely!

If he wasn't John's biological father, then he sure was a close match for a kidney transplant. But hey, maybe John's bio mom met this guy who needed a kidney and somehow they got to talking and she said, "Hey, I gave up a son 50 years ago? Maybe he's a perfect match!!! Let's go find him!"

Usually kidney donors are a close blood relative due to the blood type and antigen matches required to decrease the risk of rejection. But I guess it could happen.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 02:23:24 PM »
Usually kidney donors are a close blood relative due to the blood type and antigen matches required to decrease the risk of rejection. But I guess it could happen.

I've already investigated this.

Donor kidneys can come from anybody with the same blood type - they don't have to have the same genetic make-up. Doctor's usually only allow living kidney donors to be relatives, for ethical and moral reasons - presumably to stop the poor from selling their organs illicitly. If you receive a kidney from a dead donor it's a lottery as to where it came from (so long as it's the right blood type).

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 02:26:45 PM »

I've already investigated this.

Donor kidneys can come from anybody with the same blood type - they don't have to have the same genetic make-up. Doctor's usually only allow living kidney donors to be relatives, for ethical and moral reasons - presumably to stop the poor from selling their organs illicitly. If you receive a kidney from a dead donor it's a lottery as to where it came from (so long as it's the right blood type).

There are also tissue and crossmatch testing.

http://www.aakp.org/aakp-library/Kidney-Transplant-Matching/

"On balance, however, a well matched kidney is one in which the blood type between the donor and recipient are compatible, the tissue typing well defined and hopefully well matched and all crossmatch studies are negative."

If it was so easy, then why did a guy who wasn't John's father seek him out for a kidney? Answer: He didn't. Someone who WAS John's father sought him out for a kidney.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 02:28:13 PM »
There are also tissue and crossmatch testing.

http://www.aakp.org/aakp-library/Kidney-Transplant-Matching/

"On balance, however, a well matched kidney is one in which the blood type between the donor and recipient are compatible, the tissue typing well defined and hopefully well matched and all crossmatch studies are negative."

If it was so easy, then why did a guy who wasn't John's father seek him out for a kidney? Answer: He didn't. Someone who WAS John's father sought him out for a kidney.

Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidney_transplant#Sources_of_kidneys

:P

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 02:39:04 PM »
According to this entry (which IS from Wikipedia, and anyone who accepts Wiki as gospel on any topic is stupid, but I will assume for the moment that you confirmed this entry in other research), the technology eliminating need for tissue or blood match was implemented in 2004, presumably AFTER the kidney surgery takes place. The plane crashed in Sept 2004, after John got paralyzed, after he recovered from his own kidney removal, etc, etc, etc.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 03:05:09 PM »
anyone who accepts Wiki as gospel on any topic is stupid

Anyone? Any topic?

http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php?topic=2490.msg143525;topicseen#msg143525

::)

The technology eliminating need for tissue or blood match was implemented in 2004, presumably AFTER the kidney surgery takes place. The plane crashed in Sept 2004, after John got paralyzed, after he recovered from his own kidney removal

Before the FDA approves drug treatments it tests them. Here's some text from the FDA's own website:

Using investigational agents in a sort of last-ditch effort to help desperately ill and dying patients is not new to medicine. FDA has permitted the emergency use of unapproved, investigational products for many years. Under the general rubric "compassionate use," the agency has permitted sponsors of investigational agents to provide them to doctors not involved in controlled clinical trials for use in individual patients who might be helped by the treatment.

It's the fourth paragraph on this page: http://www.fda.gov/fdac/special/newdrug/speeding.html

In any case, the writers have been sloppy about real world historical accuracy and medical procedures in the past.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 03:06:19 PM »
Danielles people were not killed by the purge. THey were killed by the Danielle.
Ben or the others saved Alex from the purge. Must of saved Karl also

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 03:19:28 PM »
Ben or the others saved Alex from the purge. Must of saved Karl also

Just how old was Karl meant to be? Late teens? Early twenties? How did he come to the Island? It was never really explained.

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 03:19:59 PM »
anyone who accepts Wiki as gospel on any topic is stupid

Anyone? Any topic?

http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php?topic=2490.msg143525;topicseen#msg143525

::)

The technology eliminating need for tissue or blood match was implemented in 2004, presumably AFTER the kidney surgery takes place. The plane crashed in Sept 2004, after John got paralyzed, after he recovered from his own kidney removal

Before the FDA approves drug treatments it tests them. Here's some text from the FDA's own website:

Using investigational agents in a sort of last-ditch effort to help desperately ill and dying patients is not new to medicine. FDA has permitted the emergency use of unapproved, investigational products for many years. Under the general rubric "compassionate use," the agency has permitted sponsors of investigational agents to provide them to doctors not involved in controlled clinical trials for use in individual patients who might be helped by the treatment.

It's the fourth paragraph on this page: http://www.fda.gov/fdac/special/newdrug/speeding.html

In any case, the writers have been sloppy about real world historical accuracy and medical procedures in the past.

Yep, you got me there on all counts. You're right, I don't know jack sh*t. I guess I'm the stupid one.