Author Topic: Ben's Trip to Iraq!  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Ben's Trip to Iraq!
« on: May 10, 2008, 01:54:12 PM »
Now, I've scoured these forums up, down, and back up again. I couldn't find anything that sounds like my idea, but chances are it's already been discussed SOMEWHERE. Someone always beats me to the punch. If this has been discussed please merge/delete it, but if not: GO ME!

Follow me here: Alex has just been shot by Marin Keamy, a tragic, jaw-dropping, gasp-out-loud moment for us all I'm sure. Ben is a little stunned, the look on his face can only be summed up by the expression: "Oops!" He retreats to his secret laboratory for a few minutes after uttering the words "he changed the rules."
Now that we can all visualize whats going on let me begin. What exactly was Ben doing in his hidden room? Some believe he was calling our good friend Smokey out from hiding, a plausible theory indeed. But what if Ben's flash forward wasn't a flash forward at all? What if Ben retreated to his room to travel to the future to tell Widmore of his plans to kill Penny. Now before you click that tiny little red 'X' in the top right hand corner of your screen and call this rubbish, listen. Ben woke up in Iraq, sprawled out on the ground wearing a coat (yes that isn't appropriate attire for the desert, good job!). He checked into a hotel that he was a preferred guest at, but when he did he gave us a gigantic clue. He asked the date. Not just the day, but the year. In Iraq he was looking for someone who could deliver a message to Widmore: "Hey pal, I'm gonna kill Penny." When Sayid killed his messenger Ben told him to stay out of his war. Sayid said he must fight, Ben mentioned that they would be in touch, and then he walked away and did something inappropriate for that moment, but something that is so perfectly Ben- he smiled. Then he ultimately delivers the message to Widmore, but that isn't important.
Let's go back. If Ben wakes up in the middle of Iraq dazed, confused, and in the middle of nowhere asking for dates and years one can instantly assume he's time traveled. But the new thing that I bring to the table is the fact that we have this sort of time line for the episode:
{Alex dies}-----{Ben retreats to his batcave}-----{Ben returns to his living room}
I suggest that between his retreat and his return he has traveled through time to deliver his message. He says, ominously, "He changed the rules" before he disappears, and Ben's time traveling would have only seemed like a trivial amount of time to the survivors. Also he smiles when Sayid makes it apparent that he will join Ben. He smiles because that is, as we know, how its supposed to happen. Ben knows exactly what to say/do to make sure that the future is intact. Now why does Smokey pay Keamy a visit? Some think that Smokey is a sort of time-guardian. That it makes sure that the future is the way it is supposed to be. When it detected Ben's time traveling escapades it scope out the situation and Keamy's men freaked out, shooting and angering it.
So there you have it. Like it or not.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: Ben's Trip to Iraq!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 02:52:04 PM »
Hey gutterball :)

This has already been proposed a few times somewhere... but I disagree that Ben time traveled during the secret secret room trip. He didn't have his wits about him yet, imho, to do such a thing. I am among the group of people who think he called (or summoned) Smokey in the secret secret room.

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 04:01:23 PM »
I figured it had been brought up... I'm always behind. But thats what you get when you take a couple of weeks off from being a forum-whore ::)

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 10:51:42 PM »
I figured it had been brought up... I'm always behind. But thats what you get when you take a couple of weeks off from being a forum-whore ::)
That's why I only take time off when it is absolutely unavoidable. ;)