Author Topic: SO MANY QUESTIONS!!! BRAIN OVERLOAD!  (Read 1874 times)

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
SO MANY QUESTIONS!!! BRAIN OVERLOAD!
« on: May 09, 2008, 11:48:38 AM »
Okay, I know some of these have been covered elsewhere but I had to vent because this episode just blew me away. I can almost not even begin to work through all the possibilities. I have to watch this again...and again. This was one of my favorites only because it totally confused me on some level, and made me go "WOW!" on another.

•   Why did Richard test Locke? Reincarnation of Jacob? He is the island? Is Jack really the one they are looking for (the Dalai Lama)? Aaron? Is Claire supposed to raise Aaron…on the island (she chooses to stay)…because he is the reincarnation of Jacob?
•   What is the connection of Christian and the island? Why does he speak for Jacob? Is he a descendant of Jacob?
•   After Locke failed the test as a kindergartner, what made Richard reconsider and invite him to the special camp (assuming it was Richard)?
•   How does Richard not age? Is it an island thing? Ben aged! Or is Richard traveling through time?
•   There is time distortion…there isn’t time distortion. What the ??? Is it constant? Random? Dependent on going through the “vortex?” BRAIN OVERLOAD!
•   The island moves…BRAIN OVERLOAD! Does it move physically? Or through time? Both?
•   Why the dual mission on the boat? Captain and the four amigos seemed to know they were there to get Ben, but not about how far the military crew would go. Certainly not Plan Z to blow up the island
•   If Charles Widmore is behind the boat mission, then why would he authorize Rambo to blow up the island? Kill everyone to get Ben…maybe. But blow up the island which he has referred to as his? Makes no sense.
•   What happens to Desmond? Does Penny come (separately from the boat) and rescue him? Is he with the rest of the six, but just isn’t included (i.e. seven) because he wasn’t on 815?
•   Lapidus rocks! I knew he was a good guy!
•   What was Ben’s role really? Did he get to be leader of the pack because he was the only one who could communicate with Jacob? And yet…everyone and their brother seems to be able to see dead people!
•   Last week we heard “He [Sawyer] chose to stay.” What about the others? Juliette wouldn’t choose to stay, would she? What about all the other people? After the six got off, did the island move…therefore they knew it was pointless to try and find it?

OH, THE HUMANITY! MY MIND IS EXPLODING!!!

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: SO MANY QUESTIONS!!! BRAIN OVERLOAD!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 12:18:16 PM »
Okay, I know some of these have been covered elsewhere but I had to vent because this episode just blew me away. I can almost not even begin to work through all the possibilities. I have to watch this again...and again. This was one of my favorites only because it totally confused me on some level, and made me go "WOW!" on another.

•   Why did Richard test Locke? Reincarnation of Jacob? He is the island? Is Jack really the one they are looking for (the Dalai Lama)? Aaron? Is Claire supposed to raise Aaron…on the island (she chooses to stay)…because he is the reincarnation of Jacob?
I think Richard knew Locke would be the Islands saviour (by coming from the future Island) - I think he was testing Locke to see if he was ready for his task (however he seemed a little young at the time and maybe had his own issues to deal with before attempting to save the Island).
•   What is the connection of Christian and the island? Why does he speak for Jacob? Is he a descendant of Jacob?
Not sure, I think Jacob may use people like Christian, Yemi etc as 'hosts' - Jacob may have no physical form and so 'borrows' bodies that arrive on his Island to give his messages (rather than have Locke speak to a spirit).
•   After Locke failed the test as a kindergartner, what made Richard reconsider and invite him to the special camp (assuming it was Richard)?
I think he passed, maybe Richard wanted him to fail?
•   How does Richard not age? Is it an island thing? Ben aged! Or is Richard traveling through time?
I'd say time travel at this point, maybe from the Orchid.
•   There is time distortion…there isn’t time distortion. What the ??? Is it constant? Random? Dependent on going through the “vortex?” BRAIN OVERLOAD!
Id say it depends on what heading you approach the Island, the doctor almost certainly didnt make the 305 headings and so ended up in some sort of 'time warp' (the pelvic thrust gave it away! :))
•   The island moves…BRAIN OVERLOAD! Does it move physically? Or through time? Both?
Again, Id say through time or space.
•   Why the dual mission on the boat? Captain and the four amigos seemed to know they were there to get Ben, but not about how far the military crew would go. Certainly not Plan Z to blow up the island.
The '2 keys' thing reminded me of Desmond in the Swan Hatch hitting the fail safe.
•   If Charles Widmore is behind the boat mission, then why would he authorize Rambo to blow up the island? Kill everyone to get Ben…maybe. But blow up the island which he has referred to as his? Makes no sense.
Maybe the Island can 'heal' itself?
•   What happens to Desmond? Does Penny come (separately from the boat) and rescue him? Is he with the rest of the six, but just isn’t included (i.e. seven) because he wasn’t on 815?
Id say he isnt included as he wasnt on 815. Wether he makes it, well Im not so sure now.
•   Lapidus rocks! I knew he was a good guy!
Great guy, totally agree :)
•   What was Ben’s role really? Did he get to be leader of the pack because he was the only one who could communicate with Jacob? And yet…everyone and their brother seems to be able to see dead people!
I think the key word could be BROTHER - now his brother is finally here Jacob no longer needs Ben. (OK still speculation but I am a believer that Ben and Locke are half brothers).
•   Last week we heard “He [Sawyer] chose to stay.” What about the others? Juliette wouldn’t choose to stay, would she? What about all the other people? After the six got off, did the island move…therefore they knew it was pointless to try and find it?
If as some of us suspect, the Island moves through time/ space, it would suggest the other survivors who stay are either in another time or on another plain. As for choosing to stay, maybe Sawyer chose to stay to help save other survivors, Jack scarpered before the going got tough!

OH, THE HUMANITY! MY MIND IS EXPLODING!!!
Same here! :)

By no means correct theories, just my random thoughts.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 01:17:37 PM »

I have NO ideas yet.  I just wanted to post here to watch this thread. ;D

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 03:40:17 PM »
I have calmed down now, in part thanks to Rebel's comments.

PL, I am stealing your picture. Hilarious!

Still so many questions in my head. Jacob appears to be a ghost...when Locke turned on his flashlight upon his first trip to the cabin, all hell broke loose. Maybe that's because Jacob was able to manifest by using the energy (common ghost theory). We saw something similar with Christian's visit to Jack...battery in the smoke detector drained maybe.

When Jacob said "Help Me" to Locke, at first I thought it was kind of like a "Ben has me trapped somehow" thing. But now I think it might have been more like "I'm old and weary and someone needs to do this in my place." Atlas needs his Hercules.

If Richard IS traveling in time...maybe he does so AFTER he has met Locke. Locke comes to island, appears to have connection. Richard wonders how deep his connection is so he goes back in time and tests him. Failed or passed, not sure yet. But given that later Locke is invited to the special camp, makes me wonder if he passed after all.

Christian is a ghost, Christian speaks for Jacob...is that because Jacob can't? "Help me....I'm getting weaker...?" Christian is father to Jack. Father to Claire, who was told that she was the only one who should raise her baby. Jack...Charlie said you're not supposed to raise him. Christian, grandfather to Aaron, who must only be raised by Claire...not even by his own uncle. It just feels like they are more connected to Jacob than Locke is.

Richard can't think that Locke is the reincarnation of Jacob, unless he isn't traveling in time (i.e., he just doesn't age). In present time (2004) he knows Locke and Jacob are two different entities.

I'm rambling when I should be out mowing the lawn. That's what Lost does to me.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 12:51:43 PM »

I have NO ideas yet.  I just wanted to post here to watch this thread. ;D
Greatest-Picture-Ever!!

Offline DizzyIzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 11:59:42 PM »
I've found the best way to watch Lost is not to ask any questions and just take in what I can.  I just feel that no matter how good the writing and how genius the knowing you only have X number of episodes to write, the writers can't answer all the questions that pop up.  I'm just watching and trying not to do more than enjoy the show that captured my attention a few years ago.