Author Topic: Richard's Test  (Read 13710 times)

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: Richard's Test
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2008, 05:45:41 PM »

After watching this episode.. I think Richard Alpert was Dharma.. A bunch of them probably defected and became the hostiles.. Cos it seems like Alpert was working on behalf of Dharma when he visited Locke.. This had to be about 40 years or so ago.. Way before the Purge.. 

Alpert was outside the fence and is not Dharma.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2008, 06:10:03 PM »
I realize it said The Book of Laws, but the Book of the Law was written by Aleister Crowley, right?

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2008, 06:17:05 PM »
The question I have was why was the knife wrong?
He asked which of these items are yours "already"
This to me suggests some kind of test of either reincarnation or "time traveling" (for a lack a better word)
John picked the knife and that tells me that he was on the right track, and maybe that is why Richard seemed upset. I don't know why though

Also I posted this in another thread but could this have something to do with everything?

It was S1x19 here is what what was said between Emily and Locke

LOCKE: Who are you?

EMILY: I'm your mother.

[Shot of Locke and Emily in a diner.]

LOCKE: Look, miss, I don't know why you think I'm your son, or how you found me, but...

EMILY: You're adopted, aren't you?

LOCKE: No. No, I was raised in a foster home. Well, several foster homes, actually. Look, I don't mean to be rude—what do you want from me?

EMILY: I want to tell you that you're special, very special. You're part of a design. You do realize that, don't you? That our meeting—me finding you—this is a sign of things to come. Great things.

LOCKE: My father, is he still alive?

EMILY: Still alive? Oh, John, don't you understand? You don't have a father. You were immaculately conceived.

Also we find out that Emily has been in Santa roas due to a "type of schizophrenia. Apparently, if she stays on her meds, she's okay. But what happens when she is not on her meds?  does she know something that would be a a big key to this whole mystery?   So there it is!! Locke is part of a design!!! 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 06:19:23 PM by LostGirlDeb »

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2008, 10:59:35 PM »
If we are to take the whole Buddhist thing seriously, it means that somebody important died around 1960 and reincarnated into Locke.
Now, what important person tied somehow to the island died in 1960 or so? One of the Hansos? Jacob? Who?

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2008, 06:39:37 AM »
Thanks for that Deb, something to think about with that dialogue. So his mother (if she was his mother and not his grandmother) knew he was special.
Leads me to think that his time at the commune (with the hippy types) was sort of his moulding for the commune on the Island? To see how he would adapt, if I remember correctly he was taken for a mug in his time there and almost ended up arrested.
I may go back and watch that episode again, see if there are any farmiliar faces in the commune....

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2008, 11:53:31 AM »
Hmm... my take, and it's just a guess:

The right answers were sand (from the Island, perhaps from Jacob's moat), the compass (maybe from the Black Rock), and the book (Laws by which the Others live?).

As for picking the knife. I think we're just seeing the beginning of a lifelong fascination with knives.

I do think it was a real test, similar to Dalai Lama tests as others have pointed out. I doubt there was a real school in the usual sense. Lock would likely have been the only pupil.
The special school was similar to Juliet working at Mittelos, I think. They would have immediately taken him to the island.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2008, 12:26:08 PM »
much agreed, JB. He avoided a K'nappin' there.
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2008, 12:30:16 PM »
much agreed, JB. He avoided a K'nappin' there.
They didn't count on Locke and his boxing interests... He's such a good boxer that he got... stuffed in a locker...

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2008, 12:59:57 PM »
I have a little theory.. Maybe the objects each "belong" to a particular person.. These special kids are born and they have to select which object belongs to them.. This determines their role in the grand scheme of things... Ben probably took that test and picked something else.. Based on Locke's role, he was not to start until later.. He probably was to be recruited as a teenager, but he refused.. so a chain of events lead him to physical therapy and to abbadon.. Did anybody notice that Abbadon said he should take knives and go to the walkabout.. he was sent on a wild goose chase with his object (knife).. and ultimate got to where he needed to be..

After watching this episode.. I think Richard Alpert was Dharma.. A bunch of them probably defected and became the hostiles.. Cos it seems like Alpert was working on behalf of Dharma when he visited Locke.. This had to be about 40 years or so ago.. Way before the Purge.. 

I just thought of something that your post made me realize. I don't know if this was the line of thinking you were on, but there are 6 people who get off the island, and Richard shows Locke 6 items. Think there might be a connection??

Offline Gizmogrl83

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2008, 01:03:09 PM »
All numbers mean something...;)

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2008, 01:31:22 PM »
What does 83 mean in your screenname? ;)

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2008, 01:33:18 PM »
year of birth?

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2008, 01:35:09 PM »

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2008, 02:38:48 PM »
year of birth?
Or graduation.

I can assure you that is is not the year she graduated.

Offline Gizmogrl83

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2008, 02:53:31 PM »
It's how old I am......lol