Author Topic: Richard's Test  (Read 13316 times)

Offline losttill0208

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Richard's Test
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 12:36:28 AM »
Also, I think some of the other special people are Christian, Walt, Aaron and maybe Hurley.

Offline Bostonlost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 12:41:28 AM »
Could it be a test like how they find a Dali Lama? The test is all most the same

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 12:43:39 AM »
I was just going to quote you from the other thread about that Boston...Thanks for posting that here..very important idea.
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline getting away to lost

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 12:51:08 AM »
In the audio podcast Damon and Carlton said that part of tonights show would be based on research they did on how the dhalai lama is chosen.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 12:53:14 AM »
this should be merged with "Did Locke really fail that test? thread"
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline Bostonlost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 12:54:38 AM »
The test seems to be like something a Tibetan monk would use when trying to find a Dali Lama....Is Richard searching for someone...Someone like Jacob? Are the Others more like a religious sect ....A form of Tibetan Buddhism which also calls into the whole Dharma Question.

Offline jillybean4u

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 01:06:10 AM »
Ok I said this in the chat during the show, but that test is exactly how they find out who the Dalai Lama has been reincarnated to.  I found this on MSNBC. Talks about dreams and choosing possessions -- things we saw John experience throughout his life tonight.  Maybe they thought he could be the "New Jacob"

How is the Dalai Lama chosen?
Senior Buddhist monks and Tibetan government officials begin a search for the reincarnation of the Dalai Lama after the death of the previous Lama. These searchers look for a boy who was born around the same time as the death of the previous Lama. According to the British Broadcasting Corp., the officials can decide where to look for the reincarnation in several ways: by way of a dream; by watching the direction the smoke drifts after the cremation of the previous Lama and then searching accordingly; or from some sign or vision from a holy lake in central Tibet.

From MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21321374/

Once found, the officials present the boy with possessions of the previous Dalai Lama to determine whether the boy is familiar with them. If the child chooses the artifacts that belonged to he previous Lama, than that, along with the other signs, is believed to prove he is a reincarnation.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 01:07:46 AM »
but these are all objects that locke had in his possession on the island.  it's like young locke just KNEW what items were 'his' when he was older.  freaky.  i don't understand why alpert got mad though.

Offline jphimself

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 01:52:16 AM »

Once found, the officials present the boy with possessions of the previous Dalai Lama to determine whether the boy is familiar with them. If the child chooses the artifacts that belonged to he previous Lama, than that, along with the other signs, is believed to prove he is a reincarnation.

Martin Scorcese, in his movie "Kundun", showed this procedure at the discovery of the present Dalai Lama.  It can be seen in the first three minutes of the video "Kundun, Part 2" at this site.
 http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=kundun&ie=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv#
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 02:31:05 AM by jphimself »

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 03:19:19 AM »
I think young John knew the knife didn't belong to him, but he wanted it anyway and chose it hoping Richard would let him keep it.  The look on John's face as Richard was leaving looked like shame to me, but face-reading is so subjective.  I could be wrong. 

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 03:25:10 AM »
I think young John knew the knife didn't belong to him, but he wanted it anyway and chose it hoping Richard would let him keep it.  The look on John's face as Richard was leaving looked like shame to me, but face-reading is so subjective.  I could be wrong. 

I had the impression that young Locke purposefully chose the wrong item as well, possibly because he didn't want to go to the "special" school. As a teen, he also didn't want to go to the "special" science camp. He may have been trying to avoid his destiny since birth.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 04:49:54 AM »
I think choosing the knife equaled failing and received a particularly negative reaction from Richard is because it's associated with violence.  That's the thought I had while watching.

Offline DoomSter

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 09:26:39 AM »
Locke picked Jacob's side by taking the knife which he carries now (not the same knife ofcourse), Alpert, well i am not sure whyy but i think he's opposed to Jacob. Becuase why the hell would he be upset?

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 09:28:25 AM »
I think the knife represents being a Hunter and if you remember the flashback when he was on the pot farm that kid in the woods told John he wasn't a hunter. Everyone keeps telling him that. Looks like the island wanted him to be a man science not faith!

Offline DaveJohnson

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 10:08:49 AM »
I think choosing the knife equaled failing and received a particularly negative reaction from Richard is because it's associated with violence.  That's the thought I had while watching.
That's my thinking too. Sand = inherent identity with the Island. Compass = tendency towards Exploration. Knife = tendency towards Violence?