Author Topic: Richard  (Read 18531 times)

Offline GUTZandRAGE

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Richard
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2008, 07:50:34 PM »
Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but how about Abadon and Alpert are Black and White, opposing forces,

I was thinking about that. There seems to be a certain balance to it. Abaddon/Alpert, Linus/Widmore. But does that mean there's a prodigy type (Locke) on the "Dark" side? Well, assuming Ben wasn't lying when told Michael, "We'e the good guys..." What about Jacob, does he have a counter-part? Is there another man behind another curtain?

Remember Carnivale?

Hack Scudder/Lucius Belyakov
Ben Hawkins/Justin Crowe
Lodz/Samson

There was a symmetry to it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 07:55:19 PM by GUTZandRAGE »

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2008, 08:10:37 PM »
Interesting reading -

Richard could be time tripping and again that would solve the question about his age and why he is everywhere.Butthat means the Orchid station would have been in existence prior to Dharma.

But that doesn't mean that the "ability" was not there previous to the Dharma Initiative.  WE still have that missing piece, why what when where.  

Richard's alliance is with the island and what ever makes the island unique.  Now with that said there was a comment in the episode "the man behind the curtain" besides the comment about remembering birthdays, but when Locke told Ben if he didn't want to bring him to Jacob that he would ask naming several of the crew, but he did mention Richard. Ben scoffed at this idea and Richard if memory serves me didn't appear to care about this.  

Also how we all tended to forget that Richard gave Locke the dossier on James...so he could get Locke to go to James and have him kill the real Sawyer (with whom I am not sure if the father of Locke).  Richard did this independent of Ben, so it is made to appear.

Additionally when Locked wailed on Mikhail it was interesting how no one helped not even Richard.
Another point Ben wasn't around when Richard was meeting Locke and running Mittelos Science Camp.

So when it comes to Richard, he is has my undivided attention.  Because he is the answer and question man and I think he will be played just like that.  He has the right demeanor he is patient and he is has a lot of time on his hands to wait for what is right.

Guyliner or thick eye lashes I have always enjoyed this actor.  He has a certain aura about him

Offline Shoeless

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2008, 08:20:03 PM »
Guyliner or thick eye lashes I have always enjoyed this actor.  He has a certain aura about him

yup, adds to the whole mystique/mystery   ::)   8)

*stubs toe on a rock*

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2008, 08:26:29 PM »

yup, adds to the whole mystique/mystery   ::)   8)

*stubs toe on a rock*

Shoeless, YOU'RE BAAAAAAACK!!!!

It is very interesting that Ben passes over Richard in regard to communing with Jacob.  Who predates whom?

Offline Shoeless

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2008, 08:54:33 PM »
*stubs toe on a rock*

Shoeless, YOU'RE BAAAAAAACK!!!!

It is very interesting that Ben passes over Richard in regard to communing with Jacob.  Who predates whom?

Lol, ty Laklost :-* have always been around ... just so durn confuzzled & enjoying every second of the ride!!  ;D

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2008, 09:10:40 PM »
Interesting reading -

Richard could be time tripping and again that would solve the question about his age and why he is everywhere.Butthat means the Orchid station would have been in existence prior to Dharma.

But that doesn't mean that the "ability" was not there previous to the Dharma Initiative.  WE still have that missing piece, why what when where. 

Richard's alliance is with the island and what ever makes the island unique.  Now with that said there was a comment in the episode "the man behind the curtain" besides the comment about remembering birthdays, but when Locke told Ben if he didn't want to bring him to Jacob that he would ask naming several of the crew, but he did mention Richard. Ben scoffed at this idea and Richard if memory serves me didn't appear to care about this. 

Also how we all tended to forget that Richard gave Locke the dossier on James...so he could get Locke to go to James and have him kill the real Sawyer (with whom I am not sure if the father of Locke).  Richard did this independent of Ben, so it is made to appear.

Additionally when Locked wailed on Mikhail it was interesting how no one helped not even Richard.
Another point Ben wasn't around when Richard was meeting Locke and running Mittelos Science Camp.

So when it comes to Richard, he is has my undivided attention.  Because he is the answer and question man and I think he will be played just like that.  He has the right demeanor he is patient and he is has a lot of time on his hands to wait for what is right.

Guyliner or thick eye lashes I have always enjoyed this actor.  He has a certain aura about him

Impatience does not seem to be a characteristic of his...he showed a lil' emotion when Locke "failed" his test, but that may be the first time he broke character of mr calm cool and collected...

In regards Orchid...it may just harness, or try to, the "ability" that was there previously, as you state, I agree LinL... ;D

and Hola Sin Los Zapatos...*tips glass in welcoming fashion...*
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline Shoeless

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2008, 10:52:05 PM »
OT: Garcia, Stagg
I just "fell" into a Cosmo-Archaeology site; tho't about you & thankfully crawled back home/out.   
:-\

Offline tonysee200x

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2008, 10:54:18 PM »

um, ok.....Why? Is the theory he could not use orchid to travel in time prior to when orchid was built? I am not sure we know enough to say anything like this.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2008, 11:54:46 PM »

um, ok.....Why? Is the theory he could not use orchid to travel in time prior to when orchid was built? I am not sure we know enough to say anything like this.
How can one use something that is not built?  I write of the "ability" sans a machine to travel.  It is speculation and also making a point that we cannot attribute the Orchid station for all time travel. Nor can we attribute all things to the Dharma Initiative. 

It is almost what came first the chicken or the egg ... My thoughts are that Richard has been time trippin prior to anything being built.  He has the "ability" to do, by what means I can't say, but it reminds me of a book called The Talisman where one of the characters needed an elixir to time trip/travel.  While it came naturally to others.

;D

random thinking from a random mind

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2008, 04:09:39 AM »
We don't even know what the Orchid station at all.  There's no evidence that suggests that it's capable of time travel.  It's all just speculation.  Either way, I don't think Richard is time traveling for reasons I stated previously.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Richard dont turns older?
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2008, 06:07:34 PM »
I'm more worried with his appearance. How can he be a business man in the 50's, 60's and 90's, and a hairy dirt pirate in the 80's?

01. Both Daniel and Desmond have a "constant"; Desmond's being Penelope and Daniel's being Desmond. The fact that Daniel needs a "constant" would suggest that he's also been capable of non-linear consciousness (for want of a better term).

02. Both Desmond's and Daniel's general appearance has been unkempt for the majority of their time on screen. It's one of the more obvious traits they share, other than their reliance on a "constant".

03. The only time we see Richard looking less than immaculate is prior to his first meeting with Ben.

It's entirely possible that Ben is Richard's "constant". Richard may hate Ben's guts but has to endure him, as he protects him from certain death.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2008, 06:14:57 PM »
I like that possible connection between R and B. It would explain their symbiosis.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2008, 06:34:35 PM »
I like that possible connection between R and B. It would explain their symbiosis.

It would explain a lot! Richard seems like more of a natural leader than Ben and also has abilities that Ben doesn't have (like his not ageing)*. But Richard allows Ben to lead and order him around like an errand boy.

Ben did once say to Richard (in a particularly catty tone), "You remember birthdays, don't you?" - or words to that effect.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2008, 07:03:32 PM »
It was a puzzling statement.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2008, 07:16:42 AM »
It was a puzzling statement.

I'm guessing it was purely to confirm to the audience that Richard doesn't age.

I've just rewatched 'The Man Behind The Curtain'. Richard appears to smirk when Locke demands that Ben take him to see Jacob. Richard also ignores Ben's order to restrain Locke, whom is pummeling Mikhail.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 07:18:21 AM by MangoBingo »