Poll

Do you think it will matter to the story that Jack and Kate became engaged?

Yes.  It's a sign of their future.
7 (21.9%)
No. It was just for the 4x10 action.
18 (56.3%)
Not sure.
7 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Jack and Kate Engaged: Does It Matter  (Read 5260 times)

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Jack and Kate Engaged: Does It Matter
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 03:17:48 AM »
I voted "not sure" because I'm not sure.  There's something bugging me.  Was Kate pregnant?  When she and Jack were talking in the living room, he was sitting and she was standing.  She was wearing something that looked like a maternity top and skirt.  She placed her hand on her belly the way pregnant women do.  Did anyone else notice that?  Or am I imagining things?

Offline Gar O Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 04:56:34 AM »
Can't say I noticed it, I'm going to have to check the DVR

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 10:35:11 AM »
I say yes too.  Somehow, someway, I think theirs are the bones in the cave.

This I too think is the leading theory till a more substantially loaded one comes prancing about...

The island tried to keep him there possibly, messing with his appendix (why that? maybe it was the easiest
organ to get to... ;D)

Kate gets away, outta it's grasp, Jack's gotta convince her to do the same, maybe convincing her they are not to raise the lad, or circumstances doing the same...

They get back, do the Time Warp with Dr. Frankenfurter and end up in the cave all cobwebby....
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 05:04:41 PM »
I voted "not sure" because I'm not sure.  There's something bugging me.  Was Kate pregnant?  When she and Jack were talking in the living room, he was sitting and she was standing.  She was wearing something that looked like a maternity top and skirt.  She placed her hand on her belly the way pregnant women do.  Did anyone else notice that?  Or am I imagining things?
Didn't we get this same theory about Alex?

The "maternity" tops are in style now for some reason. This doesn't mean she's pregnant.

I voted not important. I'm pretty sure they broke up at the end of the episode or soon after.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 02:53:28 AM »
It wasn't the top so much as the hand on the belly that made me thing she might be pregnant.

Offline andydrew

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 01:39:15 PM »
I don't think the engagement is significant beyond the episode, other than to add gravitas to what we know happens in the future events we saw in the final episode of S3.

I'm not sure about Kate being pregnant, either. The pat on the stomach is way too ambiguous if it was supposed to indicate pregnancy. To me that pat was a "gasp, busted!" reaction. Reading anything else into is overanalyzing, imo.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 07:00:46 PM »
Welcome, Andy.

I agree. I think we've seen that reaction from Kate before, though I'm at a loss for specifics.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 07:21:19 PM »
Quote from: Fishbiscuitland
This was a Jack episode, remember. That means we all had to stop and do what Jack does every day - obsess over Jack.

Pure genius.

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 01:30:39 AM »
Some threat to Aaron. It's all I got.

I think their engagement does have something to do with Aaron. If it were found out that Kate was not the biological mother to Aaron, Jack would be the next closest relative to assume custody (except for Claire's mom, if she is still alive, and Claire's aunt) assuming Jack finds put that Claire was/is his half sister (which I think is clearly inevitable). Bottom line I think their arrangement has mutual benefits and is based on convenience as opposed to "true love." No doubt that the Jater's loved this episode.