Poll

Do you think it will matter to the story that Jack and Kate became engaged?

Yes.  It's a sign of their future.
7 (21.9%)
No. It was just for the 4x10 action.
18 (56.3%)
Not sure.
7 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Jack and Kate Engaged: Does It Matter  (Read 5346 times)

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Jack and Kate Engaged: Does It Matter
« on: May 03, 2008, 01:32:50 PM »
I was not surprised that in "Something Nice Back Home" Jack and Kate were together.  That has been hinted at long enough.  But I was very surprised that the subject of marriage came up.  When Sawyer asked Kate to "play house" with him, she wouldn't do it.  But she accepted Jack's marriage proposal.  Of course, by the flashforward from 3x22, they are not together. 

But will the storyline lead them back to that point of committing to one another for life?  I think definitely yes.  But I wonder how it struck you.  Vote above!

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Jack and Kate Engaged: Does It Matter
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 01:37:28 PM »
I say yes too.  Somehow, someway, I think theirs are the bones in the cave.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 01:47:04 PM »
"I don't wanna be Eve" was one of the most loaded statements of Season One.  I remember thinking at that moment that this is what the story is about.  Kate becoming a wife/mother and totally free - all sins washed away.  And Jack becoming a husband/father and totally free - all sins washed away.  Of course the other characters are JUST as important and their stories are crucial, but the hub is Jack and Kate's relationship. 

And we know parenthood is an issue, because Ben can't recreate and his people can't procreate.  There's some kind of blessing the island is withholding from him, which suggests that there is a blessing to give - look at Sun and Jin.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 05:02:03 PM »
It matters 'cause it showed their willingness to commit to each other. Hope they end up together but am not counting on it.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 05:07:33 PM »
I think the point is the commitment.  Especially that Kate was able to make it.  When she was married to Kevin she was Monica.  I thought this showed a phenomenal progression in her character.  What in the world will it take for her to go back to the island?

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 05:21:38 PM »
Some threat to Aaron. It's all I got.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 05:25:50 PM »

This reminds me of the X-Files haunted-house episode where Moulder & Scully find their own dessicated corpses in the floorboards, wearing the same clothes they had on at that moment.  Is Adam & Eve partially a homage to Chris Carter?

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 05:29:33 PM »
i don't really think it will matter.  they probably both have a huge hand in screwing up their relationship, as per their character has shown us over the course of lost.  jack became a pill popping alcoholic and kate is keeping secrets from him.  that will doom any relationship, even the strongest one, which we know jate is not.  i think the engagement was just to show us how much jack cares for kate and how much kate cares for jack.  there are some serious feelings there, and that was what the ring was for.  to show us both of them were serious.  even if it was just for a few days.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 04:04:00 AM »
"I don't wanna be Eve" was one of the most loaded statements of Season One.  I remember thinking at that moment that this is what the story is about.  Kate becoming a wife/mother and totally free - all sins washed away.  And Jack becoming a husband/father and totally free - all sins washed away.  Of course the other characters are JUST as important and their stories are crucial, but the hub is Jack and Kate's relationship. 

And we know parenthood is an issue, because Ben can't recreate and his people can't procreate.  There's some kind of blessing the island is withholding from him, which suggests that there is a blessing to give - look at Sun and Jin.
Great thoughts, you 2, as TPTB have stated that Adam & Eve would be instrumental in showing the viewers that they always had a plan in the direction of the story.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 04:26:02 AM »
Actually Kate stayed when Sawyer asked to play house, the only reason she didn't stay permanently is because he failed her secret woman test and what guy ever passes those?  Especially Sawyer of all people, he doesn't take a lot of things seriously, while Jack takes everything TOO seriously.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 08:45:04 AM »
as TPTB have stated that Adam & Eve would be instrumental in showing the viewers that they always had a plan in the direction of the story.

I think Adam and Eve are Aaron and Ji Jeon, one born on the island, one made on the island and both special.

Offline eelpie62

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 01:17:47 PM »
I think Adam and Eve are Aaron and Ji Jeon, one born on the island, one made on the island and both special.

I like that idea.

Is Kate still married to Malcolm Reynolds or would that have been annulled because she used a false name?

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 04:15:11 PM »

I think the bones might be a "Adam and Eve" that were on the island for years before it was rediscovered. How long could bones survive like that? What if the island really is the "garden of eden" broken off once the land broke up and drifted? That would account for the mysterious properties of the island. Remember that once adam and eve left the garden, flaming swords and cherubim were put in place so that they couldn't get back to the tree of life. That could be "smokey"...although, when ben went into the special cave/room to unlease "smokey" last episode, he came out covered in black soot or something, which made me think it was something "created" and not something from GOD/DESS.

Ok...rambling...thinking as I type...

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 07:35:50 PM »
Eelpie, it'd be interesting to know if Jack knows about the earlier marriage. My guess is Mal divorced her then went off to captain a spaceship.

Offline bkngbmq

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 11:28:53 PM »
Am I having a "I see dead people" moment, or did Jack have the same suit, shirt and tie on for all of the scenes when he was arriving back home to Kate in Something Nice Back Home?