Author Topic: I See Dead People  (Read 14005 times)

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: I See Dead People
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2008, 02:52:28 PM »
By the way, I don't think Claire is dead...Des had a vision of her getting on a helicopter, so I'm gonna assume she's still alive so that she can still do that. Now, whether or not she STAYS on the helicopter is another story.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2008, 02:56:14 PM »
I agree completely.  She is having some kind of island epiphany with her Dad though.  Wonder what she'll know when she returns.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2008, 03:20:58 PM »
Here's my crackpot theory of the week:

It springs from the Orchid Video and the pattern buffer from Star Trek.  Smokey takes a 'snapshot' of you, like what happened to Juliet when cowering in the tree with Kate.  But it can 'read' a corpse, like Christian's, which arrived on the island already in a pine box.  From that reading, the Island + Dharma enhancements can create a clone, just like Bunny 15 from the Orchid video, and download the original's memories & brain patterns. Voila! We have a perfect clone, which doesn't violate Darltons' rule that once you're dead, you're dead.

My sub-crackpot theory:
The Swan station controlled the electromagnetic field, keeping the energy tightly focused on the island, creating a stable bubble with a defined bubble around the island.  But with the Swan imploded, there have been two repercussions:
   1) The bubble's boundary is no longer defined & stable, thus the freighties have suffered from time-shifting as the immediate bubble boundary has shifted back & forth over them
   2) Before it was harder to "reach out" from the Island. Jacob could only impact outside events via consciousness raising, like with young Walt.  Or sending out time lords, like Mrs. Hawking.  Now, without the Swan 'cap' on the island's energy, Jacob can emanate globally, sending out these Duncan Idaho-like clones around the globe.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2008, 03:31:35 PM »
Interesting now that all of the dead people are showing up as actually being 'alive' on or off the island.

Hurley thinks "they are dead" off island ('they' being the O6). 

People who died on the island appear alive off island (Christian, Libby and Charlie), people who died off island (Yemi, the drug lords, the little African boy) appear alive on island, while people who died on island appear alive on island (Goodspeed, Boone)

Michael comes back to the island "to die".  Methinks their may be something going on with people living in one timeline, and dying in another.  Goodspeed says "I've been dead for 12 years".  How could he be dead for 12 years, yet now alive?

I know this is an unpopular theory on here, but it's beginning to gain credibility in some corners of the Lost cyberspace on DarkUFO and The Tailsection.

It will be interesting to see if when the O6 Losties get to the freighter, if Keamy has in fact not yet "left" for the island and the Doctor is still alive.  Would be cool if the Losties could kill Keamy, thereby preventing him from ever getting to the island and killing Rouseau and company.  Would be even cooler, if Micheal, the proverbial hated Lost character, could redeem himself by offing Keamy and his goons, thereby saving death and destruction on the island.
actually christian supposedly died OFF island, not ON island (although i don't think he's dead at all, but that's a whole other thread).  sort of messes up your whole theory doesn't it?

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2008, 05:12:48 PM »
Sigh. Not everyone here believes the Island can reach out over 12000 miles to jam guns or make bullets bounce off people. If it can, then you might as well just attribute every single event that happens to, "Well, that's what the Island wanted."
"The island wanted it happen" translated means "I don't have the answer and don't understand what's going on, so I'll just blame it on the island".  It's similar to organized religion.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2008, 05:14:39 PM »
Sigh. Not everyone here believes the Island can reach out over 12000 miles to jam guns or make bullets bounce off people. If it can, then you might as well just attribute every single event that happens to, "Well, that's what the Island wanted."
"The island wanted it happen" translated means "I don't have the answer and don't understand what's going on, so I'll just blame it on the island".  It's similar to organized religion.

There's a difference between dilemmas which seems unsolvable but might eventaully be, and mysteries which supercede normal human understandings.  And there are plenty of mysteries around, and not just in religion.

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2008, 05:14:48 PM »
actually christian supposedly died OFF island, not ON island (although i don't think he's dead at all, but that's a whole other thread).  sort of messes up your whole theory doesn't it?
Nope, just put him in the Yemi category, as I misspoke.  Your pink, inappropriate for a bulletin board, hard to read font is messing up my thread, however. LOL.  ;>)

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2008, 05:31:55 PM »
Responding to something further back, I don't think Walt intentionally killed those birds. In the first case, he wanted to see one and called it to him. Unfortunately there was this window in the way. In the second case he was in distress in Room 23. I think he was calling for help and the birds were the only things that could hear him.

All that's based just on the idea that I think Walt's a good kid. I don't think he'd kill things just 'cause he can.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2008, 05:32:25 PM »
Nope, just put him in the Yemi category, as I misspoke.  Your pink, inappropriate for a bulletin board, hard to read font is messing up my thread, however. LOL.  ;>)
that's rude.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2008, 05:43:10 PM »
LB, I think he was kidding. There's an attempt at a smiley there.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2008, 06:22:32 PM »
Maybe Meat likes red.  >:(

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2008, 06:27:54 PM »
that's rude.
this was too
sort of messes up your whole theory doesn't it?
But I laughed it off with a bit of sarcastic humor, dish it, take it?  No worries, mate.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2008, 06:32:38 PM »
Responding to something further back, I don't think Walt intentionally killed those birds. In the first case, he wanted to see one and called it to him. Unfortunately there was this window in the way. In the second case he was in distress in Room 23. I think he was calling for help and the birds were the only things that could hear him.

All that's based just on the idea that I think Walt's a good kid. I don't think he'd kill things just 'cause he can.

I don't think Walt wanted to see a bird and "called out to one"...I think he wanted his mother to see a picture of a bird in the book he was reading, but she was ignoring him and talking (arguing?) with Walt's step-dad...and the more insistent he was to get her attention and show her the bird, a real one flew into the glass door.

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2008, 06:33:49 PM »

There's a difference between dilemmas which seems unsolvable but might eventaully be
True that, and I'm saying that although there certainly are many mysteries on Lost, I doubt the final answer given to us on 90% of them will be, "the island wanted it to happen".  As you can see, I am a man of science and I believe alot of these mysteries are going to be explained (and are being explained to us right in front of our eyes, even though the non-believers can't see them).

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2008, 06:34:55 PM »

I don't think Walt wanted to see a bird and "called out to one"...I think he wanted his mother to see a picture of a bird in the book he was reading, but she was ignoring him and talking (arguing?) with Walt's step-dad...and the more insistent he was to get her attention and show her the bird, a real one flew into the glass door.
How did my 'dead people' thread turn into a thread about Walt's birds?  Can anyone say 'thread hijack'?  LOL.