Author Topic: Smoke Alarm = Smokey  (Read 16296 times)

Offline catchit

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Smoke Alarm = Smokey
« on: May 02, 2008, 04:49:26 AM »
Why else would that smoke alarm be going off at that very moment....?....IMO a total hint.

Smokey brought Christian to Jack to deliver a message - just like he brought Lock's dad to the island, Charlie to Hurley, Kate's horse to the island ... etc.  This is why future "i wanna kill myself :'(" Jack HAS to go back.

Smokey is some kind of transportation device and is able to teleport stuff to and from the island

also, this is why "the island wont let you die," because smokey = the island, and is able to go anywhere and affect anyone the island needs (or isnt done with)...or maybe, smokey is just the islands bitch

i have more but my brain just exploded

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke Alarm = Smokey
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 06:07:16 AM »
yes i stated this in the Christian is back thread.   I believe this to be a sign from the writers telling us it was smokie

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 06:47:02 AM »
Yes, during the chat I said that same thing.  Obviously something to say hello.

But I was having some fun with this.  If the smoke can't reach the beach then why would it go on the mainland.

Specific to the island only

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 07:12:51 AM »
The alarm was not going off. That is a low voltage warning telling you to replace the battery, nothing more.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 07:25:58 AM »
Why else would that smoke alarm be going off at that very moment....?....IMO a total hint.

Well, to be specific the smoke alarm wasn't going off...the battery indicator was beeping because apparently the battery was low lol.

Smokey brought Christian to Jack to deliver a message - just like he brought Lock's dad to the island, Charlie to Hurley, Kate's horse to the island ... etc.  This is why future "i wanna kill myself :'(" Jack HAS to go back.

Smokey is some kind of transportation device and is able to teleport stuff to and from the island

also, this is why "the island wont let you die," because smokey = the island, and is able to go anywhere and affect anyone the island needs (or isnt done with)...or maybe, smokey is just the islands bitch

Then why didn't Smokie bring Jack back to the island? If it brought Locke's dad, it should be able to bring Jack as well. Plus, the island didn't seem to need Smokie to get Michael to do its bidding...Tom just approached him and basically said "We still need you". Plus, we know that in the future Jack loses it, becomes hooked on prescription pills and keeps flying on Oceanic flights over and over again in hopes of crashing again on the island. If Smokie is some sort of transportation device and the island still needs him, why hasn't Smokie used its transportation abilities and saved Jack all those attempts of hoping the plane he's on will somehow crash on the same island...twice?

I do think you're right in that the smoke alarm beeping was something the writers put in there as a reference to Smokie, but I'm not quite sold that they were trying to tell us that Smokie was actually there in the lobby of the hospital.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 07:12:52 PM »
The Smoke alarm went off only to get Jack to come into the hall. If you notice, he pulled out a chair, got up, and removed the battery. If that doesn't tell you it was only a low-battery warning, I don't know what else is. To say that Smokey was there is pure nonsense.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 08:33:45 PM »
It simply added to the suspense, tension, & drama of the scene.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 08:34:57 PM »
or an homage to the fans to make us go crazy with ideas and comments on websites LOL

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
It simply added to the suspense, tension, & drama of the scene.
I still disagree. It was simply a plot to get Jack out of his office so he could see Christian. I didn't feel tense at all, just annoyed at the stupid beep. I hate it when my smoke alarm battery dies, so it brought back some not-so-fond memories for me.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 10:26:56 PM »
Do you remember Season Two and the sound that constantly was announcing to the Losties that they "had work to do"?  It was a beep.  The sound was symbolic.  Not functional.

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 06:57:14 AM »
If anything it reminded me of the Swan station 'beeping' sound that eminated from the computer informing the Losties that the timer was running.

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 01:18:47 PM »
Sounded like the battery was going dead- I think that is all there is to that.

Offline kfunk01

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 01:41:14 PM »
Has anyone made this connection yet Dharma and maybe buddism - the symbolism of the different animals that don't belong on the island - Somehow this might relate to smokey?

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 02:18:15 PM »
The unusual animals on the island were part of Dharma's zoological experiments.

The show has ties to numerous religious themes including Buddhism.

I can't see how these could be tie in to Smokey.  Religion & animals?  Smokey may sometimes have "animalistic" tendencies, but that could be anything to include programming.  Maybe explain your theory a bit more.

You don't need to post the same subject in multiple threads.  We get them all.

Offline kfunk01

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 03:58:15 PM »
Okay sorry about posting in more than one spot didn't know where to put the idea... I am in no way Buddist I am just Catholic.  I just saw some things that made me think of Buddism anything I knew of Buddism.  Of course the Darmah logo.  The animals that don't belong *reincarnated?*.  -  I don't know if this next part connects to Buddism at all.  Or where it goes the supernatural unknown - The people that have died.  Is it possible they are a the smokey thing taking their form and the smoke thing is put out by Ben whom controls it and can get it to attack certian people and manipulate them into doing things.  *note it has never been a good thing when someone who has died magically appears* - Or is the smoke monster death trying to correct things by luring "the surviors" to their death.  And to make my crazy half sense nonsense about this go a little further.  I cannot rember who but one the one with the balloon thing.  He said he has died before on the island.  But instead of being dead he wakes up and he has gone back in time. Am I off I thought that was the jist of it... Anyways death trying to fix something?  I dunno - definatly doesn't relate to the Buddism idea at least to anything I know - I don't know Death has a big tie in and somehow I think buddism is going to fit in just haven't figured it out. 
Okay just because I am catholic I thought that at one time they might be in Purgatory but it just doesn't seem realistic anymore... Okay I have spoke most of my mind on the subject.... *sigh