Author Topic: Jack Bashing-where did this come from?  (Read 8265 times)

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Jack Bashing-where did this come from?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 09:04:26 PM »
Everybody wants him to be a decisive leader, but when he acts like one everybody thinks he's arrogant.  ???

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 09:09:13 PM »
Everybody wants him to be a decisive leader, but when he acts like one everybody thinks he's arrogant.  ???
key word "act"...he needs to BE one...not act...and he needs to quit the crying metrosexual waa waa waa daddy issues...he's gone from can't make the right decision to psychopath decisions...Jack is a dolt...(and doesnt deserve to be with Kate)

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 09:20:30 PM »

Personally, I think it's because the people who are most suspect nowadays are people who are heroes.  We're always just waiting for them to disappoint us.  Underdogs are the bomb in our society.  If someone can come out of nowhere, we applaud that. But someone with character flaws trying to do the right thing is incredibly suspect.  We're all so used to being used.  On the show right now, Sawyer, who was a conman and murderer is more sympathetic to the larger audience than someone who is highly trained and has tried hard to follow the rules like Jack.  We call him a pansy for trying to do the right thing, we call him a failure for not doing enough right. It's messed up.

Offline Point Place WI

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 09:22:47 PM »
Yeah we are the Jack-@sses pun intended for not seeing things as clearly as Laklost has so kindly explained. 

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 09:28:07 PM »
*bowing politely to my fellow Jack fan, PPWI*  :) (((PWI)))

Offline on the island

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 10:49:29 AM »

Perfect response! 

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 05:12:29 PM »
It comes from a desire to see a hero be powerful.  That's why Ben is all the rage right now.  He makes a plan, uses his intelligence and daring, and gets his way.  Jack is his photo-negative.  Everything Jack touches turns to dust.  He makes a plan, gets thwarted, gets criticized, is driven to try again and repeats the pattern.  No wonder he wants to get off the island - it has exposed all of his character flaws.  My hope for Jack is that he one day realizes he needs to get back to the island.  When he returns he will be the leader he has been prophesied to be - and not just by Achara and her tattoo-parlor prophesy, but more significantly, by Locke in "White Rabbit." 
I agree! 

I think it is just fun to make fun of Jack.  I like Matthew Fox and don't think it is a Fox bashing at all.  Whether people like him or not is besides the point really.  You can't have Lost without Jack.
We can try... ;)

Anyone else think his face was having convulsions when he hugged Kate after the proposal?

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 10:17:10 PM »
It comes from a desire to see a hero be powerful.  That's why Ben is all the rage right now.  He makes a plan, uses his intelligence and daring, and gets his way.  Jack is his photo-negative.  Everything Jack touches turns to dust.  He makes a plan, gets thwarted, gets criticized, is driven to try again and repeats the pattern.  No wonder he wants to get off the island - it has exposed all of his character flaws.  My hope for Jack is that he one day realizes he needs to get back to the island.  When he returns he will be the leader he has been prophesied to be - and not just by Achara and her tattoo-parlor prophesy, but more significantly, by Locke in "White Rabbit." 
I agree! 

I think it is just fun to make fun of Jack.  I like Matthew Fox and don't think it is a Fox bashing at all.  Whether people like him or not is besides the point really.  You can't have Lost without Jack.
We can try... ;)

Anyone else think his face was having convulsions when he hugged Kate after the proposal?

You. 

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 04:22:52 PM »
I was concerned he might be having a stroke. He was ok, right?

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 04:24:34 PM »
Do you know anything about acting, I wonder?  Do you understand the concept of "registering emotion"?  :P

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 04:27:56 PM »
Yeah, I do... but I also understand that facial expression is even more important on TV. His facial expressions made me think he was registering allergies, not emotion.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 04:29:28 PM »
Whatever. 

Shall we talk about Claire's wig now if we're going to rate characters based on their idiosyncrasies?  :P

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 04:30:22 PM »
Whatever. 

Shall we talk about Claire's wig now if we're going to rate characters based on their idiosyncrasies?  :P
Go ahead. Although she isn't wearing a wig.... she randomly changed her hair style mid-season. Probably not a good choice, but hey.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 04:32:25 PM »
She is wearing a wig.  It's a crappy wig.  Her real hair is short.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008, 07:40:40 PM »
This about sums up my entire thoughts on this episode. The only thing I disagree with is that Smoky most definitely did not cause the smoke detector to go off.

http://fishbiscuitlandblog.blogspot.com/2008/05/man-who-wasnt-there-as-i-was-going-on.html