Author Topic: Jack Bashing-where did this come from?  (Read 8673 times)

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Jack Bashing-where did this come from?
« on: April 29, 2008, 11:12:05 AM »
I personally like Jack. But I have been wondering where all this Jack bashing is coming from? Is it his character or Matthew Fox? What exactly has he done to deserve all this hate?

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Jack Bashing-where did this come from?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:13:38 AM »
he cries too much for me.  he seems to have became quite a wuss if you ask me.  aside from the pulling the trigger in locke's face. 

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 07:11:42 PM »
He's arrogant at times.  I am Jack therefore you have to listen to me.  I believe it stems from his Dad becoming an Alcoholic and their relationship.

Jack fixes everything that has been his job.  When he pulled the gun on Locke I had lost all respect for him.  I know that Locke has been out there pushing buttons and stopping the pushing of buttons, but Jack didn't need to go after him like that.

Also he is always telling Kate to step back, again trying to protect her.  That girl has more fire than required and she can hold her own. 

I think that Jack has passed his prime and we are not done with him yet and he will go until the end of the show. 

I think Jack could have an attitude adjustment if he got what Sawyer has received a few times. :o  then me might lighten up

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 12:58:19 AM »
Yeah, basically he's a wimp.

Plus his story keeps dragging on. I haven't seen any other Fox movies (yet), but I think it's just the character.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 03:27:31 AM »
He's so intense.  (In the season 1 dvd bonus set Matthew Fox auditioned for the part of Sawyer.  Much too intense.)  I like Jack when he lightens up, but how often does that happen?

Offline Gizmogrl83

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 02:34:55 PM »
I still love Jack simply for the fact that the faces he has been making are awesome.  he looks so irritated with daniel.   ::)

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 04:18:53 PM »
It comes from a desire to see a hero be powerful.  That's why Ben is all the rage right now.  He makes a plan, uses his intelligence and daring, and gets his way.  Jack is his photo-negative.  Everything Jack touches turns to dust.  He makes a plan, gets thwarted, gets criticized, is driven to try again and repeats the pattern.  No wonder he wants to get off the island - it has exposed all of his character flaws.  My hope for Jack is that he one day realizes he needs to get back to the island.  When he returns he will be the leader he has been prophesied to be - and not just by Achara and her tattoo-parlor prophesy, but more significantly, by Locke in "White Rabbit." 

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 04:26:08 PM »
It comes from a desire to see a hero be powerful.  That's why Ben is all the rage right now.  He makes a plan, uses his intelligence and daring, and gets his way.  Jack is his photo-negative.  Everything Jack touches turns to dust.  He makes a plan, gets thwarted, gets criticized, is driven to try again and repeats the pattern.  No wonder he wants to get off the island - it has exposed all of his character flaws.  My hope for Jack is that he one day realizes he needs to get back to the island.  When he returns he will be the leader he has been prophesied to be - and not just by Achara and her tattoo-parlor prophesy, but more significantly, by Locke in "White Rabbit." 
I agree! 

I think it is just fun to make fun of Jack.  I like Matthew Fox and don't think it is a Fox bashing at all.  Whether people like him or not is besides the point really.  You can't have Lost without Jack.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 04:30:00 PM »
I agree! 

I think it is just fun to make fun of Jack.  I like Matthew Fox and don't think it is a Fox bashing at all.  Whether people like him or not is besides the point really.  You can't have Lost without Jack.

I don't get the crying complaint.  Almost every male on this show has cried or teared up at one point or the other.  Locke has put his head down and wept!  Even Sayid has gotten teary-eyed.  People, the John Wayne days are over.  It's the 21st century.  If men don't cry, we think they dont' feel.  No harm in it either, it's just an emotion display.

It stills seems to me to be a power issue.  Ben looks powerful and is, Jack looks weak and isn't.  This is the "Empire Strikes Back" season of Lost.  The "Return of the Jedi" is still to come. 

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 04:31:37 PM »
LOL

Preach it sista!

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 04:37:56 PM »
I will.  Heaven knows, I will.  :D

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 04:44:44 PM »
Oh, you didn't quote me!! LOL

I think Jack is way hotter this year, so he can cry all he wants.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 04:47:55 PM »
He really pulled himself together for "Speed Racer."  He looks fantastic.  I hope people understand that my defense of him has nothing to do with how handsome I think Foxy is.  It really is the functionality of Jack's character.  He is meant to be the hero.  He is not.  He will be.  There's a main story arc there.

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 04:57:04 PM »
I know, but he is yummy too ;)

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 08:43:33 PM »
It's not him as an actor.  He was great in We Are Marshall.

For me, it's his holier than thou, my way is the only way attitude.  His way of "fixing" things, to him, is the best way. 
I'd ask him if he's ever been punched in the mouth for talking too much personally.