Author Topic: Three Paintings, two of which we have seen before  (Read 1382 times)

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Three Paintings, two of which we have seen before
« on: April 25, 2008, 11:30:04 PM »
Ah I will watch this episode a few more times.

Next to Mr. Widmore's bed appears to be the Black Rock painting from the auction.  Is there a deeper connection to the Black Rock and Hanso's and Charles than we know? 

Also there is a painting that appears to be the Island outside in the hallway of Charle's bedroom.  It looks like the one mountain we see.

Also when Ben was back in his house there is a very good close up of the painting that looked like Juliette, but you know what it is the spitting image of his mother.  Who is the actors real life wife.

So we have props, not canons, back in the scenes again.  Pray tell what do these signify.  Perhaps nothing but they are they are remind us of some things we may have forgot.

Offline jphimself

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Three Paintings, two of which we have seen before
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 12:22:19 AM »
The painting in the hall outside Widmore's bedroom door is not of The Island.  It is a painting by Paul Cezanne called, "Mont Sainte-Victoire".  Painted sometime between 1885 - 87, it is one of perhaps a dozen paintings Cezanne made of this mountain in the South of France, near Aix en Provence.  This painting was bought by Samuel Courtauld in 1925 and is now in the Courtauld Institute in London.  Or, at least that is the official story believed by those not conversant in the wicked ways of Charles Widmore.

A large size image of the painting with a commentary can be found at this page at the Webmuseum site.  (Click on the small image to open a larger one.)

http://webmuseum.meulie.net/wm/paint/auth/cezanne/st-victoire/1885/

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 03:50:55 AM »
I think the painting in his house is Annie.  Another site also showed that the painting has changed slightly in each of the three episodes it has appeared in.  The changes are subtle but seem significant enough that it's not just a prop error.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 01:42:01 PM »
I think the painting in his house is Annie.  Another site also showed that the painting has changed slightly in each of the three episodes it has appeared in.  The changes are subtle but seem significant enough that it's not just a prop error.
That makes sense as they've had to make subtle changes like that in the past.  The photo of Penny & Des had another actress until they cast Pen's character.  The prop master stood in for Jacob before they cast him.

I wonder then, if they are planning an episode with an adult Annie!  I'd love to know what happened to her!

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 07:38:35 PM »
The painting in the hall outside Widmore's bedroom door is not of The Island.  It is a painting by Paul Cezanne called, "Mont Sainte-Victoire".  Painted sometime between 1885 - 87, it is one of perhaps a dozen paintings Cezanne made of this mountain in the South of France, near Aix en Provence.  This painting was bought by Samuel Courtauld in 1925 and is now in the Courtauld Institute in London.  Or, at least that is the official story believed by those not conversant in the wicked ways of Charles Widmore.

A large size image of the painting with a commentary can be found at this page at the Webmuseum site.  (Click on the small image to open a larger one.)

http://webmuseum.meulie.net/wm/paint/auth/cezanne/st-victoire/1885/

Well that is why it was familiar. It is a beautiful painting and now that I review some of my Cezanne materials.... It caught my eye .  Thank you for pointing this out.

As for the other painting this woman looked just like his mother perhaps Annie looks like his mother?

Offline KateReallyLovesJack

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 07:44:02 PM »
I've been waiting for some more information on Annie too, PL - any age at all... young Annie, adult Annie... that storyline was dropped so suddenly...