Author Topic: "I See You've Been Getting More Sun" WTF?  (Read 9206 times)

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: "I See You've Been Getting More Sun" WTF?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2008, 09:38:51 PM »
My guess is that the answer to this question won't come until the final Ben v. Widmore, Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom-like confrontation at the end of season 6.  Quite an excruciating long time to wait.

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2008, 05:10:44 AM »
I bet he can find the island's location geographically, but he cant find the island in 'time'

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 06:09:09 AM »
gigglesnort... i wonder if Ben is collecting AirMiles?

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2008, 08:10:03 PM »
I thought Widmore calling Ben "Boy" was derogatory.  Reminded me of a slave owner calling a slave that.
Completely agree. This was the only thing I thought of.

When Charles said to him you have gotten some color lately, Ben stated  your rock is lovely this time of year. He never refereed to being in the middle east. 
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Rock = Iraq.

There was no discussion about the middle east.... Rock = Island.... Widmore does not own the middle east and the conversation was about the island.
Closed Captions confirm Iraq.

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2008, 09:36:08 AM »
My thoughts on Widmore's nightmares are similar to the way we have seen Hurley and Jack suffer.
Hurley is haunted by Charlie and Jack by Christian, both likely as a result of their leaving the Island. This would mean that Widmore has been on the Island at some point (not unimmaginable seeing as he see's the Island as His) and maybe he is recieving visits from one of the Island 'spirits'.
I think the Island appears in the different forms (Yemi, Charlie, Christain) dependant on how the recepient would feel 'drawn' to the character - for instance Eko was drawn to Yemi due to his guilt, Jack maybe the same with Christian and Hurley seemed to get on better with Charlie than anyone else (although in an Ideal world maybe Libby should have paid him a visit, in fact maybe she does in a future (or past???) scene in the mental institute).

So my feelings are that Widmore has had similar visits from an Island 'ghost', thus giving him nightmares. It may explain how he knew Ben would visit him, Charlie told Hurley that someone would visit Jack, maybe Widmore's visitor told him to expect a visit from Ben?

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2008, 01:59:07 PM »
So my feelings are that Widmore has had similar visits from an Island 'ghost', thus giving him nightmares. It may explain how he knew Ben would visit him, Charlie told Hurley that someone would visit Jack, maybe Widmore's visitor told him to expect a visit from Ben?

Good theory!!!

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2008, 02:21:27 PM »
Well, maybe, but he turned the faucet on all right....

It's one thing to turn it one with your hand, as you're soon to wash away any germs picked up in doing so, but another to touch it afterwards with your just-sanitized hands.

maybe he recieved the news of Alex death, knowing the shape of things to come, knowing he changed the rules of the game, knowing Ben would come after Pen...didnt he say something about he had been expecting him?

Widmore wouldn't be upset to the point of nightmares by Alex's death, nor the as-expected continuation of his long-running conflict with Ben.  And in Widmore's mind, he didn't break any rules, as Ben himself had disavowed Alex as his daughter, opening the way for Keamey to execute her.  He then showed surprise when Ben mentions the reason for his visit was to announce he's going to kill Penny, so that couldn't have been a worry previously.   In saying he'd been expecting Ben, this shows that, at the very least, he knows by that point in 2005 that his earlier freighter gambit had failed, Alex had been killed, yet Ben had survived.  Perhaps Keamey survived long enough to communicate an update back to Widmore, or perhaps it had been Daniel, Charlotte, or Gault.
he's upset of Alex death, because he knows Penny will be a target of Ben's...he knows he crossed the line...he doesnt have to show his fear, only that he's been having nightmares...he still calls Ben boy...he's used to a certain power, overbearing if you will...but either way.
you see it one way, I see it another...time will tell....

quite possibly it's one of those things where "he knows that I know that he knows I know what he knows" in regards the broken "rules"...daughters being sacrificed...

any time an individual plays a game, breaks a rule, either purposefully or not, is not caught, that is in the back of the mind, whether or not it will be found out, or used against then in the near and near.

The writers either jokingly or seriously said "..keep reading the Bible." in regards where the story is going...I recall only sacrifices of sons (lives) in the Bible, is there any similar there re: daughters? Or are they just playing freely with the idea of it, switching one for the other to fit the story?
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2008, 03:24:39 PM »
Charles' remark to Ben of "I see you've been getting more sun" is a little odd, considering that the man lives on a tropical island!  ???

Taking this remark into consideration, along with with Ben's parka, would it be so wacky to consider that the island moves to an arctic location in the future?

If my sworn enemy sauntered into my bedroom as I slept, the hue of their complexion wouldn't be high on my list of things to say.

I was correct!!! The island can move!!!

If it's later proven that Charles and Penelope Widmore are the same person, you all owe me a beer.

In the meantime, you can all kiss my arse.  :-*

lol

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2008, 06:13:17 PM »
Good job, Mango. We have speculated about this before, see below, but nobody has taken it very seriously as far as I know. I remember a discussion on this topic back last summer, in fact, but can't find those posts now.

I think there can be only one magnetic north (or south) pole for the planet at a time, so I don't think it could be different in Russia than it is anywhere else....

The Vortices, or something like them is about the only theory we have that explains how Yemi's plane could end up on the Island. The only other one I can think of is that the Island moves. A moving, rolling, constantly shifting Island could also explain the BR now being landlocked.

Dunno, need more intel. Go undercover, will you Stagger?

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2008, 06:17:53 PM »
Charles' remark to Ben of "I see you've been getting more sun" is a little odd, considering that the man lives on a tropical island!  ???

Taking this remark into consideration, along with with Ben's parka, would it be so wacky to consider that the island moves to an arctic location in the future?

If my sworn enemy sauntered into my bedroom as I slept, the hue of their complexion wouldn't be high on my list of things to say.

I was correct!!! The island can move!!!

If it's later proven that Charles and Penelope Widmore are the same person, you all owe me a beer.

In the meantime, you can all kiss my arse.  :-*

lol

I'll pass on the arse kissing thanks :P

However congratulations on the moving Island theories - I must admit at the time I felt the show could well 'jump the shark' if it turned out the Island moved around but on reflection, the way it seems to be going now, I feel they may just get away with it.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2008, 06:31:34 PM »
Good job, Mango. We have speculated about this before, see below, but nobody has taken it very seriously as far as I know. I remember a discussion on this topic back last summer, in fact, but can't find those posts now.

Oh.

Oh, well. I guess I wasn't the first to propose that the island can move geographically - but the first to relate Widmore's "more sun" comment to the phenomenon.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2008, 07:28:51 PM »
You came up with it independently. I think that's all that counts!! And you could still be right about it's heading for colder climes.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2008, 08:18:03 PM »
You came up with it independently. I think that's all that counts!! And you could still be right about it's heading for colder climes.

Imagine if Season Five has a sort of 'Empire Strikes Back' look and feel about it... I'll be really disappointed if I'm wrong!

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2008, 02:56:13 PM »

Imagine if Season Five has a sort of 'Empire Strikes Back' look and feel about it... I'll be really disappointed if I'm wrong!
The island is not Hoth. ;)

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2008, 11:30:24 AM »

The island is not Hoth. ;)

Not yet, it isn't"  :)