Author Topic: "I See You've Been Getting More Sun" WTF?  (Read 11939 times)

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
"I See You've Been Getting More Sun" WTF?
« on: April 25, 2008, 09:59:04 PM »
Charles' remark to Ben of "I see you've been getting more sun" is a little odd, considering that the man lives on a tropical island!  ???

Taking this remark into consideration, along with with Ben's parka, would it be so wacky to consider that the island moves to an arctic location in the future?

If my sworn enemy sauntered into my bedroom as I slept, the hue of their complexion wouldn't be high on my list of things to say.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: "I See You've Been Getting More Sun" WTF?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 10:01:11 PM »
p.s. The island must be able to move location, as why would Widmore be unable to find it, after already locating it once before?

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 10:07:33 PM »
I suggested this possibility a long time ago, but I didn't really believe it then. But it was about the only way I could think of for the Nigerian plane to end up on the Island.

OTOH, now that teleportation has been all but confirmed, maybe the plane was just flying over a particular spot in Tunisia at an inopportune moment....

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 10:16:23 PM »
I suggested this possibility a long time ago, but I didn't really believe it then. But it was about the only way I could think of for the Nigerian plane to end up on the Island.

OTOH, now that teleportation has been all but confirmed, maybe the plane was just flying over a particular spot in Tunisia at an inopportune moment....

I honestly now think that the island has the ability to physically reposition itself. If the island's electro-magnetic fields flagged it up to Penelope's searching, what better way to cloak it, than to relocate to a greater source of magnetism: the North Pole.

Maybe this repositioning is a regular occurence, like a bird's migration?

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 10:22:48 PM »
I think it's quite a leap to explain tectonically how an entire large island might be moved from the tropics to the antarctic.  It's one thing to teleport a bear or a plane, another to teleport something millions or billions of times heavier.  And kinda hard to do it & avoid detection from the resulting tsunamis created, earthquakes, and shift in the rotation of the earth from the sudden movement of so much mass.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 10:28:50 PM »
Widmores remark was sarcastic as Ben is a rather pasty looking dude.  And he was teleported into the desert so he would be getting a big more sun.

It was a glimpse into their relationship and how they treat each other.  One with contempt and sarcasm and the other with the holier than though attitude.

As for the island moving, it doesn't move. It is cloaked in something remember Daniel said the the air was different, how the things looked different.  

There could be another Dharma station that is cold and that is why he wore the jacket.  Or teleporting could be cold, I am speculating as I have never teleported.

Not buying the moving island....Again I buy into the island being able to cloak itself so it isn't invaded by the yahoo's that just go onto the island.

As for the Black Rock, the heroin plane, Danielle's boat, the sail boat, the balloonist etc...flight 815 they either stumbled on it or the island called them to it.

Oh yes one other thing they had the docks there for the submarine.  Why would a floating island have docks?  

Nice try and great thought.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 10:44:32 PM »
Widmores remark was sarcastic as Ben is a rather pasty looking dude.  And he was teleported into the desert so he would be getting a big more sun.

Widmore wasn't aware of Ben's arrival in Tunisia and subsequent trip to Tikrit. Widmore's agent Ismail asked Ben whom he was. Ben was tailing Widmore's agent - not the other way around. The agent was killed by Sayid before he reported Ben's presence back to Widmore.

It was a glimpse into their relationship and how they treat each other.  One with contempt and sarcasm and the other with the holier than though attitude.

If it was a sarcastic remark, it didn't come across as such. Ben wouldn't have needed to answer that he'd been in Iraq if he'd detected sarcasm in Widmore's voice.

As for the island moving, it doesn't move. It is cloaked in something remember Daniel said the the air was different, how the things looked different.

I don't see how the air being different infers that the island itself can't relocate.  

There could be another Dharma station that is cold and that is why he wore the jacket.  Or teleporting could be cold, I am speculating as I have never teleported.

I agree that there are possibly DHARMA stations dotted around the world in every conceivable climate.

As for the Black Rock, the heroin plane, Danielle's boat, the sail boat, the balloonist etc...flight 815 they either stumbled on it or the island called them to it.

Yes - whilst it was in its current position.

Oh yes one other thing they had the docks there for the submarine.  Why would a floating island have docks?

That's like asking "why would a boat have a gang-plank?"...  

I thought so too!

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 10:45:35 PM »
  Or teleporting could be cold, I am speculating as I have never teleported.

This is a great thought for explaining the parka. There are a lot of science fiction stories in which teleportation takes a bit of time and while you're between it's really cold. I don't know why I didn't think of it!

I agree the Island is cloaked, but if it doesn't move, what would keep Widmore from finding it again? Cloaked or not. Not saying I believe it moves, but it does help explain some things.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 10:54:35 PM »

Not buying the moving island....Again I buy into the island being able to cloak itself so it isn't invaded by the yahoo's that just go onto the island.

I agree with this answer 100%

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 11:23:53 PM »
Even if it is "cloaked" why wouldn't Widmore be able to find it AGAIN?  Wouldn't he still know the coordinates from the last time? 

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 11:42:19 PM »
Even if it is "cloaked" why wouldn't Widmore be able to find it AGAIN?  Wouldn't he still know the coordinates from the last time? 

Alwayslost if the island didn't want Widmore to find the location then he can't.  I just watched the last few minutes again and Widmore said "then the hunt will be on for the both of us".  I believe he meant Penny because Ben said she doesn't know where it is.

MangoBingo- As I just mentioned I just watched the repartee between Benjamin and Charles, very proper how they refer to each other.  When Charles said to him you have gotten some color lately, Ben stated  your rock is lovely this time of year. He never refereed to being in the middle east.  What I wrote was perhaps he got color while he was in the desert. Charles also referred to Ben's horrible eyes and he speaks down to him  He keeps calling him Benjamin and tells Ben he has the audacity of being the victim.

Watch that scene again, it was very powerful and gave us some viable and speculative information.  I could go on and on, but I had thought that these two are great adversaries.

It is also interesting that Ben can't kill Widmore. 

Jug- thanks  :)

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 05:26:42 AM »
MangoBingo- As I just mentioned I just watched the repartee between Benjamin and Charles, very proper how they refer to each other.  When Charles said to him you have gotten some color lately, Ben stated  your rock is lovely this time of year.

I thought Ben said "Iraq is lovely this time of year."  Wasn't he just in Tikrit with Sayid?

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 06:00:43 AM »
Charles' remark to Ben of "I see you've been getting more sun" is a little odd, considering that the man lives on a tropical island!
And considering that it is dark and night and we only see shades.
It was sarcasm, cause he knows that Ben was in Iraqi.

Widmore wasn't aware of Ben's arrival in Tunisia and subsequent trip to Tikrit. Widmore's agent Ismail asked Ben whom he was. Ben was tailing Widmore's agent - not the other way around. The agent was killed by Sayid before he reported Ben's presence back to Widmore.
I think it was the other way round. Ben killed Nadia and Widmore's agent was tailing Ben.
Why would Widmore kill Nadia? To know from Sayid where the island is? Sayid doesn't know.
Ben's reason to kill Nadia could be to get Sayid to believe Widmore did it, so Sayid will kill Penny.
Ben said to Sayid: "Go away. Once you let your grieve become anger it will never go away. I speak of experience." I didn't like Ben's smile when Sayid didn't go away. Like his plan succeeded.

Watch that scene again, it was very powerful and gave us some viable and speculative information.  I could go on and on, but I had thought that these two are great adversaries.
Widmore called Ben "Boy", like he was his father or someone way older. Like there was another kind of relationship between them before.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 06:43:55 AM »
I thought Widmore calling Ben "Boy" was derogatory.  Reminded me of a slave owner calling a slave that.

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 07:45:22 AM »
Just want to add my thoughts on the Widmore and Ben personalities -

Widmore, IMO, uses power, money and his reputation to get exactly what he wants. Widmore is the bully, he refers to Ben as 'boy' as a derogitory term, he wants Ben to feel in awe of him but unfortunatley for Widmore Ben seems to be more than a match for him.

As for Ben, IMO he uses bribery and reverse psycology to get what he wants. He knows what he wants and he manipulates people into thinking that they want the same thing by suggesting he wants them to do the opposite. Like with Locke, he made John think he didnt want him to blow the submarine up when all along he did. Similar with Sayid, made him think he wanted nothing to do with him when all along he knew by doing so Sayid would offer his services, also got Michael to kill for him using Walt and their freedom as the bribe etc.

Unfortunatley his tactics didnt work with Alex and she ended up dead - Widmore changed the rules, like a big game of chess, Alex was the pawn, the fight between good (white) and evil (black). Im still not sure which of them is good and which is evil - on the face of it they both seem to be bad, but Ben did take the Island (presumably by the purge) from Widmore so this would suggest Ben as the bad guy but we have also seen a glimpse of how Widmore operates, with Desmond, the fake plane etc and so he too is far from white. If we look deeper maybe Ben is the good guy, trying to protect the Island from the Evil that Widmore plans to do with it.
Widmore is a ruthless businessman and would no doubt use the Island to further his gains whereas Ben just wants the Island to stay hidden from the outside world and will do anything in his power to protect it.