Author Topic: So, Sayid Leaves The Island By Conventional Means?  (Read 7416 times)

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
So, Sayid Leaves The Island By Conventional Means?
« on: April 25, 2008, 09:18:34 PM »
Sayid appeared to swallow Ben's story of leaving The Island by Desmond's boat and setting a course towards Fiji...

So, evidently, the Oceanic Six weren't teleported back to civilization via a magic box; beamed up by flying saucers or inside a DHARMA submarine.

Also, if Sayid had to ask how Ben left The Island, then this implies:

01. Sayid is unaware of any teleportation facilities on The Island;
02. Sayid believed that no other form of transport off The Island was available to whomever stayed (inferring that his mode of transportation was a one-off opportunity).

Offline Fallybear

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: So, Sayid Leaves The Island By Conventional Means?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 09:26:56 PM »
I agree Mango. Before this episode, I thought we would see Ben get the Oceanic 6 off the Island via the Orchid. (assuming the orchid is the  "magic box").

How do they get off?  I'm pretty sure the freighter people are toast.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 10:48:09 PM »
I agree Mango. Before this episode, I thought we would see Ben get the Oceanic 6 off the Island via the Orchid. (assuming the orchid is the  "magic box").

How do they get off?  I'm pretty sure the freighter people are toast.

Yeah, no way Ben would leave the island before eliminating the threat from the freighter people.  As to the Oceanic 6, no reason to think they couldn't get off the island via conventional means. Especially since Michael managed to do it on a puny boat.

Offline jphimself

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 01:01:22 AM »
Good catch Mango.  The "Oceanic Six" must have returned to civilization by conventional means.

This leads me to speculate that perhaps Sayid, Desmond and Michael are joined on the freighter by Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sun and Aaron and they return to the world, perhaps via Fiji.  It could be that this group of five make up the load limit of the helicopter and are chosen by some process of negotiation or chance that we don't yet know and that for some electromagnetic or mechanical reason or threat situation only one flight is possible.  They are sworn to some pact of secrecy to preserve Ben's precious Island for him and/or to keep him from killing their friends.

At Fiji, Des and Michael could be separated from the others before they are revealed to the press as the "Oceanic Six".  Des is then free to take Penny to whatever protected place Widmore believes her to be safely living until Ben comes to get her (or sends his agent, Sayid).  Michael could go to L.A. to live alone and miserable under an assumed name until his death and solitary burial via the Hoffs/Drawlar funeral home.

Of course, why those additional five are chosen will make for some interesting drama, as will the outcome for the rest of the Losties, especially Claire and Jin who, if they live, are separated from their loved ones.

This is why I love Lost.  The show allows and encourages the audience to think creatively along with the writers.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 01:17:01 AM »
Or maybe Michael is one of the 6... interesting...

Offline Shoeless

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 01:34:33 AM »
This is why I love Lost. 
As we all do.  Thank you for your insightful contributions - and welcome.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 06:36:52 PM »
Good catch Mango.  The "Oceanic Six" must have returned to civilization by conventional means.

This leads me to speculate that perhaps Sayid, Desmond and Michael are joined on the freighter by Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sun and Aaron and they return to the world, perhaps via Fiji.  It could be that this group of five make up the load limit of the helicopter and are chosen by some process of negotiation or chance that we don't yet know and that for some electromagnetic or mechanical reason or threat situation only one flight is possible.  They are sworn to some pact of secrecy to preserve Ben's precious Island for him and/or to keep him from killing their friends.

At Fiji, Des and Michael could be separated from the others before they are revealed to the press as the "Oceanic Six".  Des is then free to take Penny to whatever protected place Widmore believes her to be safely living until Ben comes to get her (or sends his agent, Sayid).  Michael could go to L.A. to live alone and miserable under an assumed name until his death and solitary burial via the Hoffs/Drawlar funeral home.

Of course, why those additional five are chosen will make for some interesting drama, as will the outcome for the rest of the Losties, especially Claire and Jin who, if they live, are separated from their loved ones.

This is why I love Lost.  The show allows and encourages the audience to think creatively along with the writers.

I like these speculations.  Now, I'm trying to figure out logistics.  Before, Frank said he could only take three people, which turned out to be Des, Sayid and Naomi/the piece of meat.  However, that was only because his fuel situation was low.  That doesn't mean in the future the fuel will again be so low, hence, more people might be able to go back.  The flight bringing the mercs showed that the heli can convey up to six people.  So, a complement of passengers returned to the freighter by Frank could include:
  1) Sun, who is pregnant, and can't stay
  2) Jack, our intrepid leader
  3) Flirty, nosy Kate, who convinces Jack to let her come over Juliet (Game: Kate!)
  4 & 5) Hurley, who's weight is such that he had to buy two tix to board Flight 815 in Sydney
  6) Claire, who boards the chopper, but dies later on the Freighter, somehow due to a decision Jack makes
      6a) Aaron, who weighs so little, doesn't bear upon any weight-limit considerations

Thus, Sun, Jack, Kate, Hurley & Aaron join Sayid on the freighter, and become the Oceanic 6.  I think Des is kept in play, for a later confrontation with Ben in defense of Penny.

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 07:00:45 PM »
Well, if Frank said he could take only three people, and we know that six make it off the island, that could be TWO helicopter trips, with the second one going awry somehow, thereby disabling the helicopter enough that there is no third or fourth trip. (I would say Hurley and Aaron balance each other out as two normal-sized adults.)

That would be an easy way to explain the facts we currently have -- and with Lost, sometimes simpler is better.

Offline joshzam

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 10:15:40 PM »
I'm still not convinced that the media would dub tiny Aaron as one of the O6. I'm still thinking that Claire gets off the Island (as Charlie predicted) and winds up in a coffin somewhere...

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 12:03:07 PM »
I'm still not convinced that the media would dub tiny Aaron as one of the O6. I'm still thinking that Claire gets off the Island (as Charlie predicted) and winds up in a coffin somewhere...

Or, Desmond saw Claire getting onto the helicopter with Aaron, and then for some reason she gets off before they take off. Or she gives her seat to Sun, thinking she would go on the next flight over, but something happens to the helicopter and there are no more recue flights. Or, after he gets to the freighter, Jack makes sure there are no more rescue flights, or he screws up the helicopter in some way, and that is why he doesn't want to see Aaron once they are back at the mainland...because of his guilt that Claire wa separated by Aaron. (Jack does have a prob...looked like his appendix...maybe Claire gave up her seat with Aaron so Jack could get on?) Or...I'm confused!

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 01:54:17 PM »
It is confirmed who the Oceanic 6 are and it does include Aaron. 
As to how they get off the island that has yet to be seen, but agreement here is not teleporting. This is my thought that Frank has the helicopter some place or regardless of what is happening on the freighter, there is a smaller boat on there that could come and get the O6.

I do not believe that Ben would give any more secrets about how he gets around to anyone, even with a gun to his head. 

Also if they did teleport to the mainland, then how would they answer that? 

As for Claire, I have been saying right along that Desmond did see her getting on the helicopter and perhaps she is just putting Aaron on and saying good-bye for reasons we don't know right now.  BUT we also have to keep in mind that Desmond saw a lot of things with Charlie that eventually were altered.  So he may intervene again, I don't know this is my humble opinion.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 01:57:21 PM »
As a mom, I have a hard time seeing ANY situation where Claire would voluntarily separate herself from Aaron.  Sorry, Sun!

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 04:20:31 PM »
Well, if Frank said he could take only three people, and we know that six make it off the island, that could be TWO helicopter trips, with the second one going awry somehow, thereby disabling the helicopter enough that there is no third or fourth trip. (I would say Hurley and Aaron balance each other out as two normal-sized adults.)

That would be an easy way to explain the facts we currently have -- and with Lost, sometimes simpler is better.

On his latest chopper trip, Frank brought 6 mercs to the island.  Hence, it's entirely plausible that the 5:6 Oceanic 6 left to be ferried off the island make it in just one trip.  The only reason he could take 3 people that one time is because his fuel was low.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 04:29:32 PM »

LostinLock is correct.  The ABC marketing department's big 'The Oceanic 6 have been revealed' teaser flashing 6 characters pictures, including Aaron, sealed this question.  Darlton have said so, that once that teaser was put out there, they weren't going to go against it.  It's canon. Aaron is one of the Oceanic 6.

I can't forsee the funeral director burying a woman (Claire) in a coffin ostensibly holding a man.  My current theory is that Claire gets on the chopper, as in Des' vision, but then because something Jack does, she gets injured/left behind/killed, but not before one of the Oceanic 6 takes her place, bringing Aaron.  I'm predicting that person will be Kate, whose first inclination would be to stay on the island, but whose maternal instincts kick in as she leaps on the chopper, for Aaron's sake. 

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 04:41:51 PM »
On his latest chopper trip, Frank brought 6 mercs to the island.

Did they come with the chopper? Did they all come in one trip?

I think the next trip will be: Sun (pregnant, needs to leave), Jack (is ill) and Juliet (wants to leave and looks after Jack)
The last trip: Hurley and Kate with Aaron.