Author Topic: The Smoke Monster And Ben (Possibly Stupid Question)  (Read 13434 times)

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: The Smoke Monster And Ben (Possibly Stupid Question)
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2008, 10:14:45 PM »
We know it did not get them all since Keamy (wrong spelling) is seen in the preview.

Dude, that was NOT cool! Many of us choose not to watch the previews because they're widely considered to be SPOILERS! Please don't write about future episodes. I did NOT want to know that.

Umm Jugdish is a moderator I believe he knows what the rules are! ;)
Did we ever find out what the electrical fence around Otherville was really intended for?

I know that someone said something about it keeping Smokey out, but were they telling the truth? We've seen Smokier fly high through the air. Why not just fly over the fence?

Was it meant to keep people out? It looked pretty easy to just knock a tree down and climb over the thing.

I believe Ben explained it not in detail, but it was a security fence to keep unwanted out.  When Alex put in the security code it was one that notified them that danger was imminent.  Drawing from the obvious to me it is a security fence.  Perhaps scalable, but when it was in full use I am sure folks couldn't get over it.

;)

Offline joshzam

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2008, 11:29:07 PM »
Umm Jugdish is a moderator I believe he knows what the rules are! ;)

I don't care if he is a moderator, telling me what's going to happen in a future episode ruins part of the show. All I ask for is a little common courtesy.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2008, 11:34:19 PM »
We know it did not get them all since Keamy (wrong spelling) is seen in the preview.

Dude, that was NOT cool! Many of us choose not to watch the previews because they're widely considered to be SPOILERS! Please don't write about future episodes. I did NOT want to know that.
I believe it's posted in the rules of the site, that any preview broadcast on national TV is accepable to post on here...

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2008, 01:44:24 AM »
the fence was designed to keep smokey out.. so by alex unlocking the gate, smokey was probably like, "hey fellas [to all the other mini smokey's] let's combine and finallllllllllllly get into the othersville" and so then ben knew smokey was coming, went into the room, through that wall, and sprayed himself with anti-smokey stuff.

its obvious.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2008, 09:10:42 AM »

I believe it's posted in the rules of the site, that any preview broadcast on national TV is accepable to post on here...

Thank you Cowboy that is correct those are the rules and that was explained to me by Castaway

the fence was designed to keep smokey out.. so by alex unlocking the gate, smokey was probably like, "hey fellas [to all the other mini smokey's] let's combine and finallllllllllllly get into the othersville" and so then ben knew smokey was coming, went into the room, through that wall, and sprayed himself with anti-smokey stuff.
its obvious.

JMart-  No I disagree.  In what episode did it specifically say that the fence was built to keep out Smokey?  It was a Dharma compound, so having a security fence to keep other people out. I mean why would they have a code for Alex to punch and have it ring to a phone because Smokey was chasing her or anyone at that point?  As we have witnessed if Smokey wants you Smokey will get you.  So having an alarm system to get you back into the fence makes no sense.

I also I don't believe after seeing the door within the hidden room that Smokey was a concern to the anyone in the compound.  Ben did say his people were committed to dying for the island. 

Smokey is a protector of the island, it's a security system, so whatever Ben had to do to get them out of the house and back to Jacob he accomplished.  I believe he told whatever that Alex had been killed, she was dedicated to the island, she was born and lived on the island. 

Smokey was taking a nap and then gathered all it's pieces together and came out like a freight train and zeroed in on the intruders, therefore eliminating the intruders.

That's  my story and I am sticking to it. ;D

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 09:27:39 AM by LostinLock »

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2008, 01:47:53 PM »
JMart-  No I disagree.  In what episode did it specifically say that the fence was built to keep out Smokey?  It was a Dharma compound, so having a security fence to keep other people out. I mean why would they have a code for Alex to punch and have it ring to a phone because Smokey was chasing her or anyone at that point?  As we have witnessed if Smokey wants you Smokey will get you.  So having an alarm system to get you back into the fence makes no sense.
While I won't say that the fence was specifically designed to keep Smokey out, Juliet did tell Kate,"We don't know what it is but we know it doesn't like our fences."  Juliet hasn't always been entirely truthful, but it does make sense based on what we saw happen in that episode ("Left Behind"). 

I also noticed the earthquake preceding Smokey's sweep through Othersville, which reminded me of the one in Ben's childhood flashback.  If Smokey's loyalty is to the Island, he never wanted Dharma there, so it stands to reason that keeping him out may be one of the fence's primary purposes.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2008, 02:05:41 PM »
While I won't say that the fence was specifically designed to keep Smokey out, Juliet did tell Kate,"We don't know what it is but we know it doesn't like our fences."  Juliet hasn't always been entirely truthful, but it does make sense based on what we saw happen in that episode ("Left Behind"). 

I also noticed the earthquake preceding Smokey's sweep through Othersville, which reminded me of the one in Ben's childhood flashback.  If Smokey's loyalty is to the Island, he never wanted Dharma there, so it stands to reason that keeping him out may be one of the fence's primary purposes.

PL I remember that episode and thought of that when posting, but Juliette is not an original Dharma.  Her knowledge is based on Ben's information and what she has seen.

I am referring to when Dharma put it up, which is who created that compound.   It was there when Ben was a boy and I don't believe that anyone knows what Smokey was doing then? But Dharma had conflict with the original habitants and that is why Richard was outside the fence, when Ben encountered him.

So the original intent is still not evident but I think we can all agree that it was to secure the compound.  From what or who is still a good guess.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2008, 04:07:10 PM »
I am referring to when Dharma put it up, which is who created that compound.   It was there when Ben was a boy and I don't believe that anyone knows what Smokey was doing then? But Dharma had conflict with the original habitants and that is why Richard was outside the fence, when Ben encountered him.

So the original intent is still not evident but I think we can all agree that it was to secure the compound.  From what or who is still a good guess.

I think this is accurate.  Dharma clearly erected the fence, perhaps soon after coming to the island (in the 60s?) to defend the compound against the Hostiles.  However, what was to prevent the engineers from designing it for the additional purpose of keeping Smokey out?  Left Behind made clear that although Smokey can achieve an altitude above the top of the fence when erupting from one of his tunnels, he can't achieve that altitude when moving along the ground.

Whatever Ben did in his cave to, as Hurley said, release that thing, likely entailed the unblocking of a tunnel beneath the fence with an opening in Othertown, hence all the earthquakes as Smokey moved through the tunnels and erupted out.  I'm now curious whether Smokey is a creation of Dharma, or did it exist prior to Dharma?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 04:15:12 PM by Lion of Atreides »

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2008, 04:29:23 PM »
I remember Dharma said the fence was to keep out wild animals.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2008, 04:33:47 PM »
Yeah, which is confirmed here:

http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Sonic_fence

However, the wild animals excuse may have been a Dharma deception, to downplay the threat of the Hostiles or Smokey, which would've freaked out people like Ben's papa.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2008, 04:51:09 PM »
They knew about the hostiles. No deception needed for that.

I said in another post: when Ben released Smokey in the last episode it caused an aerthquake like when Ben was young at school
and Annie said not to worry, because it were just the hostiles.

If Smokey causes the earthquake, Smokey was used by the hostiles and the sonic fence was to keep Smokey out, like you say
or
Smokey was used by Dharma (the cave to release him is in Ben's house) and the sonic fence was to keep wild polar bears out.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2008, 05:53:35 PM »

I think this is accurate.  Dharma clearly erected the fence, perhaps soon after coming to the island (in the 60s?) to defend the compound against the Hostiles.  However, what was to prevent the engineers from designing it for the additional purpose of keeping Smokey out?  Left Behind made clear that although Smokey can achieve an altitude above the top of the fence when erupting from one of his tunnels, he can't achieve that altitude when moving along the ground.

Whatever Ben did in his cave to, as Hurley said, release that thing, likely entailed the unblocking of a tunnel beneath the fence with an opening in Othertown, hence all the earthquakes as Smokey moved through the tunnels and erupted out.  I'm now curious whether Smokey is a creation of Dharma, or did it exist prior to Dharma?

I have believed that Smokey is natural to the island. One of the long mysteries here. 

I said in another post: when Ben released Smokey in the last episode it caused an aerthquake like when Ben was young at school
and Annie said not to worry, because it were just the hostiles.

If Smokey causes the earthquake, Smokey was used by the hostiles and the sonic fence was to keep Smokey out, like you say
or
Smokey was used by Dharma (the cave to release him is in Ben's house) and the sonic fence was to keep wild polar bears out.

Dharma must have known about the existence of the previous inhabitants and I am talking about prior to what they refer to as the hostiles.

Because if you think about Ben's house, it contains a secret room, that has an ancient door that leads to what we believe is a cave or tunnel or whatever.  Now the other interesting thing about the house is the basement also has hallways and rooms. Ben had a room down there and so did John Locke's father. 

So when it comes down to it the existence of Smokey has been known for some time. As to his being welcome inside or outside of the camp is yet another story. But as Ben promised Jacob the elder of the island as I will not refer to him has the answers.

I can't wait to hear what he has to say, because if I am right it will prove some interesting points.

OH yes and Thank you for getting the straight answer on why the fence was originally erected.  I can sleep tonight ;)

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2008, 08:01:48 PM »
Because if you think about Ben's house, it contains a secret room, that has an ancient door that leads to what we believe is a cave or tunnel or whatever.  Now the other interesting thing about the house is the basement also has hallways and rooms. Ben had a room down there and so did John Locke's father. 

Thanks for pointing this out.  This had crossed my mind, but I hadn't put 2 & 2 together to realize that Dharma must have located the head honcho's house in the Barracks over the access door to the more ancient secret room where Smokey could be controlled.  That would of course imply that Smokey preceded Dharma, and that the tunnels were possibily built by Dharma to help control/guide Smokey. 

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2008, 08:07:40 PM »
I have a slightly different take...

Ben only "released" Smokey after he said that Keamy broke the rules. I have a feeling Ben didn't release Smokey on them because it would be against the rules.

I like this theory JB.  Now all we need is a copy of the dang rule book.  I'll call coach Belichick.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2008, 08:15:11 PM »

Have to disagree on this point.  Dharma may have been started by the DeGroots as a utopian research project, but appears to have become stratified and prone to information manipulation.  Remember the film splice found by Mr. Ecko that had been removed from the Swan station orientation film? That suggested that there was an element trying to spin what Dharma Initiative employees knew, beyond the psychological experiments they were running.  Further, Ben's father was seen complaining to Horace Goodspeed that he needed hazard pay, as he hadn't been told initially about all the danger posed by the Hostiles.

This is akin to the current situation with the American people and what they know/have come to know about the Iraqi insurgency.  It has taken perhaps several years for the facade of misinformation to wear thin, and public support and perceptions to fall closer in line to reality.  Similarly, there was probably a disinformation campaign disseminated by the Dharma higher-ups to gloss over the true situation with the Hostiles.