Author Topic: The Smoke Monster And Ben (Possibly Stupid Question)  (Read 10953 times)

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
The Smoke Monster And Ben (Possibly Stupid Question)
« on: April 25, 2008, 07:56:16 PM »
If Ben has had the ability to activate (if not control) The Smoke Monster all along, why didn't he "switch it on" as soon as he was aware that security had been breached?

Did I miss something?  ???

Offline gjohnson

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: The Smoke Monster And Ben (Possibly Stupid Question)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 08:43:01 PM »
I may be wrong about this, but if there is indeed a richer form of time travel/teleportation than we have seen so far, Ben did more than just summon Smokie while he was in that cave. He may have traveled to the future to start hunting Widmore's people and deliver his threat on Penny's life.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 08:52:21 PM »
I may be wrong about this, but if there is indeed a richer form of time travel/teleportation than we have seen so far, Ben did more than just summon Smokie while he was in that cave. He may have traveled to the future to start hunting Widmore's people and deliver his threat on Penny's life.

But he didn't have bruises on his face whilst in Tunisia, Iraq or England.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 10:33:45 PM »
Right. No time travel from the secret room, at least not yesterday.

I don't think Ben can really control Smokie. Once it's loose it's dangerous to everyone. Hence only used in desperate situations. Just my best guess.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 10:46:24 PM »
I don't think Ben can really control Smokie. Once it's loose it's dangerous to everyone. Hence only used in desperate situations. Just my best guess.

So, it was a last resort?

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 10:48:47 PM »
Yup. And the reason they had to run in the opposite direction as fast as they could.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 10:53:46 PM »
Ben clearly spiked Smokey's kool-aid and let him loose, depending upon his knowledge of Smokey's programming, which likely can identify the most serious threat to the island, in this case posed by the group of mercenaries who were on the island less than a day and, literally or metaphorically, smelled of off-islanders, i.e. a threat.  My guess is that Smokey's rampage in the woods the night of the plane crash was because it smelled a large group of new people, which indicated a threat to the island.  However, he might be unable to approach within a certain distance of the ocean/beach, which is supported by the fact that we've never seem Smokey near/on the beach.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 10:57:02 PM »
No Ben didn't control it. Perhaps he has to say a few works like Okay Smoke boy you hungry and want to whoop some mercenaries?  Go and get em.....

When he was in Tunisia it was the future, but did anyone remember the whoosh for flash forward?  I thought that designated a flash forward.

I dont' think the questions are stupid, but I do believe they have been asked an answered in other threads.

I hope we helped you

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 10:57:12 PM »
I think if he released smokie earlier it would of just killed ALex with the rest of them.
We know it did not get them all since Keamy (wrong spelling) is seen in the preview. BUt I digress.

He had to be clear of it before he summoned smokie.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 10:59:47 PM »
Ben clearly spiked Smokey's kool-aid and let him loose, depending upon his knowledge of Smokey's programming, which likely can identify the most serious threat to the island, in this case posed by the group of mercenaries who were on the island less than a day and, literally or metaphorically, smelled of off-islanders, i.e. a threat.  My guess is that Smokey's rampage in the woods the night of the plane crash was because it smelled a large group of new people, which indicated a threat to the island.  However, he might be unable to approach within a certain distance of the ocean/beach, which is supported by the fact that we've never seem Smokey near/on the beach.

I believe that Smokey was near the beach the night they crashed on the island.  The same monster sound came from him and he was knocking down the trees just like last night.  We just may not have noticed the smoke because it was dark and they wanted us guessing.    Yeah to bad he missed the one mercenary I wanted to see flung bag and forth a few times.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 11:01:49 PM »
I think if he released smokie earlier it would of just killed ALex with the rest of them.

That makes the most sense. I can live with that.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 12:11:39 AM »

I believe that Smokey was near the beach the night they crashed on the island.  The same monster sound came from him and he was knocking down the trees just like last night. 

Yes. He was near the beach, but never got closer than 1/4 mile from it.  And the Losties have never been attacked by Smokey in their camp in the trees along the beach.  That tells me that either Smokey can't get within a 1/4 mile of the Ocean, or that he's limited in his range, perhaps by the system of tunnels he's always crashing out of.  AHAH! Maybe what Ben was doing down in his cave was opening some big greasy valve in the tunnel system to provide Smokey an egress right smack dab in Othertown where the Mercenaries were crouched down.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 12:18:30 AM »
I have a slightly different take...

Ben only "released" Smokey after he said that Keamy broke the rules. I have a feeling Ben didn't release Smokey on them because it would be against the rules.

Offline Shoeless

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 12:19:19 AM »
I believe that Smokey was near the beach the night they crashed on the island. . .
I believe I'd just read that it was the boars going thru the wreckage the first night, it struck a chord with me 'cos I hadn't known that before. Sorry I can't remember "where" I'd read it tho'  :(

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 12:38:43 AM »
I believe that Smokey was near the beach the night they crashed on the island. . .
I believe I'd just read that it was the boars going thru the wreckage the first night, it struck a chord with me 'cos I hadn't known that before. Sorry I can't remember "where" I'd read it tho'  :(
No, Smokey was there. The trees moved and Charlie said, "Guys, where are we?"