Author Topic: The Smoke Monster And Ben (Possibly Stupid Question)  (Read 9718 times)

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: The Smoke Monster And Ben (Possibly Stupid Question)
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 01:08:40 AM »
I have a slightly different take...

Ben only "released" Smokey after he said that Keamy broke the rules. I have a feeling Ben didn't release Smokey on them because it would be against the rules.

I agree, It feels like Windmore and Ben are having a gentalmans fued with clearly defined rules on how to keep/ take the island. Once Alex died contract was Null and Void-Game on Bitches!

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 01:14:58 AM »
I think the rules involved no murdering of family members... that's why Ben is going after Penny.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 03:37:33 AM »

Ben only "released" Smokey after he said that Keamy broke the rules. I have a feeling Ben didn't release Smokey on them because it would be against the rules.

I agree, It feels like Windmore and Ben are having a gentalmans fued with clearly defined rules on how to keep/ take the island. Once Alex died contract was Null and Void-Game on Bitches!

LoL! I agree with this as well. Whatever the "rules" are, Ben felt they had been broken/changed, so he said "f*ck it, then" and released Smokie on 'em.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 07:07:28 AM »
I totally agree !!

I think if he released smokie earlier it would of just killed ALex with the rest of them.
He didn't know they had Alex, till Miles comes.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008, 08:45:32 AM »

I think if he released smokie earlier it would of just killed ALex with the rest of them.
He didn't know they had Alex, till Miles comes.

That's a good point. So, why not just activate the Smoke Monster in the first place?

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2008, 09:04:19 AM »
And how did he know it would kill the frieghters? After all it didnt kill Locke, in fact Locke had a moment with Smokey which he described as being beautiful and also Eko got let off a beating the first time he met Smokey.
I think Ben was reluctant to release Smokey inside the comune, that caused his hesitation, but Smokey couldnt get inside the comune when it chased Juliet and Kate due to his 'fear' on the security fence so there must be either several exit points ar several Smokeys. Also it is interesting why Smokey wont go onto the beach, maybe his 'chain' dosent reach that far or he stays near to (or is grounded by) his exit holes.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008, 09:28:30 AM »
Releasing Smokey caused an earthquake like when Ben was young and Annie said the hostiles came.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 10:16:49 AM »
Interesting thought, Opge, perhaps the security system was under better control back in those days....

I don't think it's under much control now. Ben releases it as a last resort 'cause he doesn't know exactly what it will do. And then they run away 'cause, well, he doesn't know exactly what it'll do.

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008, 01:20:14 PM »
Ben was reluctant to release Smokey - so how, in the past when we have seen Smokey running amock, does Ben or anyone else, contain Smokey again?

Offline gods_child

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2008, 02:06:24 PM »
no ben says, the rules have changed, i think that means there r certain things u just dont do unless the other does sumting bad first. like war laws that restrict certain actions. just want 2 say that the pic of smokey looks like the face is a polar bear?

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2008, 03:53:43 PM »

LoL! I agree with this as well. Whatever the "rules" are, Ben felt they had been broken/changed, so he said "f*ck it, then" and released Smokie on 'em.
LOL & I agree. :)

Ben didn't summon Smokey, but he unleashed him somehow.  The Others have limited control over Smokey, but his 1st allegiance is to the Island.  Smokey is a last resort because of the likely higher percentage of collateral damage.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008, 04:02:59 PM »
I think the rules involved no murdering of family members... that's why Ben is going after Penny.

If the rules do concern no going after family members, then Widmore has a point, as Ben did proclaim out loud that Alex wasn't his daughter, that he stole her from a crazy woman, and that she meant nothing to him.  Merely a pawn.  So, arguably, shooting her would not break some no-family rule, and therefore Ben does bear responsibility for Alex's death.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2008, 07:08:09 PM »
I believe that Smokey was near the beach the night they crashed on the island. . .
I believe I'd just read that it was the boars going thru the wreckage the first night, it struck a chord with me 'cos I hadn't known that before. Sorry I can't remember "where" I'd read it tho'  :(

I didn't say it was on the beach, I said it was near the beach and about 20.30 into the pilot you see the palm trees falling down, and that sound that Smokey makes.  So I don't believe it was boars taking down the tall trees and the gang was all near the fuselage with fires going.  I remember this scene as it reminded me of a the movie forbidden planet and the "invisible" security system on that planet went after the team that landed there.

the boars did go through the fuselage at night and scared people and that is when they made the decision to burn it I believe that was episode 2. 

Oh and after playing back both the pilot scene and this last episode smokey was making the same sounds he did in the pilot, though on a much higher playing field.

This security system, my pal smokey, is intuitative to figure out who is good and who is bad.  As for Ben's involvment in convincing, asking what ever term we want to use here, was because if they didn't get out of that house they would all be dead.  At this point I believe that Ben was thinking what tricks to I have up my sleeve.

It was very interesting that instead of bringing everyone though his secret passage, he put them back outside.

Now what we all have missed in the entire thread, unless my glasses are failing me, is Locke said to Ben you lied to me you said you didn't know what the smoke monster was.  Ben replies to him and tell him he can ask Jacob when he sees him.

So all our speculation on who makes the monster tick may just lay with the man behind the curtain!  The "wizard" himself Jacob!

Offline joshzam

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2008, 10:02:36 PM »
We know it did not get them all since Keamy (wrong spelling) is seen in the preview.

Dude, that was NOT cool! Many of us choose not to watch the previews because they're widely considered to be SPOILERS! Please don't write about future episodes. I did NOT want to know that.

Offline joshzam

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2008, 10:08:28 PM »
Did we ever find out what the electrical fence around Otherville was really intended for?

I know that someone said something about it keeping Smokie out, but were they telling the truth? We've seen Smokie fly high through the air. Why not just fly over the fence?

Was it meant to keep people out? It looked pretty easy to just knock a tree down and climb over the thing.