Author Topic: Thoughts on the Doctor?  (Read 15245 times)

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the Doctor?
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2008, 05:13:57 PM »
Agree on the morse code being sent at "speed of light", compared to the choper or boat coming through the 'dome". I also see the dome as not being perfectly smooth, but to have a "wrinkle" of sorts or not uniformed.
Do we know exactly when the last time was when we saw the doc? This is a question to his body washing up on shore. If the beleif now is that you can leap forward or backward in time will someone be going back in time to save some of our 815ers. Maybe saving Charlie? I do see where the doc could be alive and dead at the same time, similar to seeing wabbit 15 twice.
Another thought, didn't they try to get the two wabbit 15s away from one another thinking something bad would happen?
Did doc1 meet doc2 and have a throat cutting party?

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2008, 05:21:34 PM »
The reason Morse code/the sat. signal aren't noticeably delayed is because they travel at the speed of light, so the distortion of the bubble is negligible compared to the subsonic rocket and the even slower chopper.

actually it's the speed of sound, which is much slower than the speed of light

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2008, 07:06:56 PM »
Thought du jour on the doctor- Jack makes it onto the freighter to have the appendectomy by the very doctor that had washed up on the shore the day before.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2008, 07:17:03 PM »
Thought du jour on the doctor- Jack makes it onto the freighter to have the appendectomy by the very doctor that had washed up on the shore the day before.

That would be funny.... but I think the freighters are also lying.  Or maybe they don't know the doc is gone.  Or maybe they have been told to keep their mouths shut.    Remember if we can believe Miles, he was told that Keamy and his entourage were there as security.  So Keamy and his band of mercenaries wouldn't tell the truth if their lives depended on it.  Other than killing Alex. 

So, perhaps that is what is going on or....how about there is another boat in the area carrying Penny and she had a doctor on the boat and he is fine?  Okay I had to step out of the comfort zone.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2008, 08:15:13 PM »
After furthor investigation I am going to have to start joing the camp that the Doc may still me alive on the boat. Don't like it and don't understand it. Saw a film clip interview on ew.com and they were hinting at this. Told us to listen carfully to what Daniel said. To me it would be a paradox that they say they are avoiding. How can you be dead and alive at the same time??

How about this:
  Conveyance          Speed         Time to cross Island's Bubble
  -----------       -----------       ---------------------------
  Rocket            few 100s mph     30+ minutes (Daniel's experiment)
  Helicopter               60  mph      half a day (Sayid)
  Drifting body             10 mph     72 hrs

The logic, however, does not support a scenario in which the doctor washes up on shore while still living. Just the opposite, that he shouldn't wash up for at least three days after getting dumped overboard.
When does logic have anything to do with anything on Lost....lol

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2008, 08:34:02 PM »
After furthor investigation I am going to have to start joing the camp that the Doc may still me alive on the boat. Don't like it and don't understand it. Saw a film clip interview on ew.com and they were hinting at this. Told us to listen carfully to what Daniel said. To me it would be a paradox that they say they are avoiding. How can you be dead and alive at the same time??

How about this:

The logic, however, does not support a scenario in which the doctor washes up on shore while still living. Just the opposite, that he shouldn't wash up for at least three days after getting dumped overboard.

I don't think the Doctor was suppose to wash up on that side of the island, according to my calculations, he was moving 11.4 mph and with the current and the winds on the day he was pushed over he should have hit fiji in a week.

Sorry not trying to be fresh, but ........CowboyUp I have to LOL too ;D

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2008, 08:46:55 PM »
The reason Morse code/the sat. signal aren't noticeably delayed is because they travel at the speed of light, so the distortion of the bubble is negligible compared to the subsonic rocket and the even slower chopper.

actually it's the speed of sound, which is much slower than the speed of light

Actually, the sat phone uses electromagnetic signals, not sound, to communicate.  Ergo, the speed of light. Whether these phone are ship-to-shore, or are routed through a satellite in orbit, is a whole 'nother matter that would confuse the distance portion of any calculations.  And who knows if the island is protected by an unbroken dome of electromagnetism, or a curtain offshore that only reaches up to a certain point in the atmosphere, with perhaps gaps in this curtain (i.e. at 325 degrees).  FURTHER, how does the signal 'punch' its way through the bubble? If the freighter is outside the bubble, within its folds, or inside it, how does that affect communication?

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2008, 08:47:45 PM »

I prefer having Juliet rip it out with her teeth, then Kate wrestles her for it.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2008, 08:48:33 PM »

I'm ever hopeful.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2008, 08:50:18 PM »

How about this:

I don't think the Doctor was suppose to wash up on that side of the island, according to my calculations, he was moving 11.4 mph and with the current and the winds on the day he was pushed over he should have hit fiji in a week.

You do calculations and dont have an accurate distance of the freighter, size of the island(map of the island for that matter) and current flow charts...sounds fresh to me ;D

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2008, 08:52:29 PM »

I prefer having Juliet rip it out with her teeth, then Kate wrestles her for it.
That scene would be priceless...showing Jack laying there in pain...just hearing Juliets voice...then pan up and her mouth is covered in blood, with his appendix in hand...oh, I scared myself...lol...

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2008, 08:55:57 PM »

Do we even know which side of the island the Losties' beach is on? I can't recall anything definitively verifying this.  As for the currents, from the following map...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc/Ocean_surface_currents.jpg

...drawing a line from Sydney towards L.A., the island is someplace south of the South Equatorial current, where it peels off and heads south then east around the S. Pacific gyre.  Since we don't know exactly where in this patch of ocean Seth crashed the plane (the tool), the prevailing current could be from the east, the north, or the west.  Throw in season changes, which I'm no expert on, and we have another muddle.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2008, 09:01:07 PM »

Killjoy. ;)  I was saving that one for tomorrow. :P

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2008, 09:02:07 PM »

for the other thread??? crackpot theories? LOL

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2008, 09:05:07 PM »

for the other thread??? crackpot theories? LOL
I hate sitting on that uncomfortable fence.  You know....throw enough stuff @ the wall...something's bound to stick? ;D