Author Topic: Thoughts on the Doctor?  (Read 14330 times)

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the Doctor?
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2008, 10:57:14 AM »
After furthor investigation I am going to have to start joing the camp that the Doc may still me alive on the boat. Don't like it and don't understand it. Saw a film clip interview on ew.com and they were hinting at this. Told us to listen carfully to what Daniel said. To me it would be a paradox that they say they are avoiding. How can you be dead and alive at the same time??

How about this:
  Conveyance          Speed         Time to cross Island's Bubble
  -----------       -----------       ---------------------------
  Rocket            few 100s mph     30+ minutes (Daniel's experiment)
  Helicopter               60  mph      half a day (Sayid)
  Drifting body             10 mph     72 hrs

The logic, however, does not support a scenario in which the doctor washes up on shore while still living. Just the opposite, that he shouldn't wash up for at least three days after getting dumped overboard.

Right, again someone said what I wanted to say in a better way!!

I lacks total logic even for a tv show like LOST.

OK then can you tell me what speed the morse code message takes to get from island the boat and back again coz it sure looked pretty instant to me... why didnt they think of that before?

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2008, 11:13:16 AM »
It might be a much broader explanation than specific time intervals. Remember when Daniel said, "You can't change the future"?? Well, perhaps, because the island time is so distorted, the Doctor is suppossed to be dead at this point, but because Des and Sayid went to the boat, something changed in what was happening on the frieghter, and although the doctor is alive on the boat, once the two time lines converge, the Doctor will just be dead. Makes about as much sense as anything else I've read so far.
HA!!

Offline jphimself

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »
It might be a much broader explanation than specific time intervals. Remember when Daniel said, "You can't change the future"?? Well, perhaps, because the island time is so distorted, the Doctor is suppossed to be dead at this point, but because Des and Sayid went to the boat, something changed in what was happening on the frieghter, and although the doctor is alive on the boat, once the two time lines converge, the Doctor will just be dead. Makes about as much sense as anything else I've read so far.
HA!!

Yes, yes, yes.  I think Bob has got it nailed.  It is the only answer based on the current speculations of physicists and the statements of Faraday and Mrs. Hawking (Hawking for God's sake) that can explain this apparent conundrum.  To try to explain it as errors of movie making continuity is to deny the whole history of this show, in which specifics matter.  It is especially unbelievable that such a mistake would occur on an actor's face.  Makeup is the central thing on the screen and routinely the thing most photographed at the end of each scene to assure matches with future scenes.

Offline tonysee200x

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2008, 12:36:07 PM »
I wonder if there were get any clues on this in the Morse code? Has anyone seen a translation of the morse code anyplace?

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2008, 01:18:10 PM »
What bothers me more is how did the doc get through this "bubble" around the island, If Des couldn't get through it on his sail boat because he didn't have the correct coordinates ?

Also, I remember hearing Something about depending on how fast you go through it "the bubble"  effects you in different ways and changes the time frame.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2008, 01:38:12 PM »
What bothers me more is how did the doc get through this "bubble" around the island, If Des couldn't get through it on his sail boat because he didn't have the correct coordinates ?

Also, I remember hearing Something about depending on how fast you go through it "the bubble"  effects you in different ways and changes the time frame.
People/ objects can be (involuntarily) drawn through the "bubble."  Think Elizabeth, the beechcraft, even 815.

I wonder if there were get any clues on this in the Morse code? Has anyone seen a translation of the morse code anyplace?

Bernard didn't call Daniel on what he sent, so I assume it would be the following:

Dan- "What happened to the doctor?"
reply- "What are you talking about? The doctor is fine."

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2008, 01:39:08 PM »
The OTHERS buried their dead so that this wouldn't happen. The Doc's body is a replication from an experiment just as bunnies 15.
Patchy never dies because this happened to him also.  ;D  That's just weird man.......

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2008, 02:47:46 PM »
BObx- good explanation, best I have heard so far. I even sort of understand the thinking in it.

Patchy is dead.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2008, 10:13:23 PM »
The reason Morse code/the sat. signal aren't noticeably delayed is because they travel at the speed of light, so the distortion of the bubble is negligible compared to the subsonic rocket and the even slower chopper.

However, I think we have been assuming that the bubble around the island is uniform, smooth & constant. That may be incorrect.  What if the bubble, except on that bearing of 325, shimmers back & forth like the aurora borealis/australis, creates little eddies, reverses polarity, or whatever metaphor strikes you as viable?  Perhaps the Doctor gets killed three days hence, but his floating corpse gets caught in a time distortion eddy, which, as Daniel keeps mumbling, has something to do with our/The Losties' (mis-)perception of time.  The fact that his corpse washes onto shore before it 'should' doesn't truly harm/change the timeline, for a bloated corpse can't create a Grandfather Paradox, for example. 

We're gonna need such illogical hoops if they claim that the doctor was truly alive when Daniel beeped in.  Ergo, I hope it's just a case of the Freighties lying!

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2008, 10:26:30 PM »
We will allow for the creative freedom
I am not sure I care for this direction, but it does pose a different look at the entire situation

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2008, 09:30:52 AM »
I think the simplest explanation is still the best. I believe that Juggy said it first, but maybe the freighters are lying. The only thing that seems weird to me about it is that they instantly tried to cover it up and say he was fine instead of asking something along the lines of "How do you know something happened to the doctor?". I think this one is going to just have to play out. I hope they don't do what they did with the 4 toed statue though and don't mention it for a while.

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2008, 07:08:17 AM »
i insist everyone removes their socks now for a island wide toe count....!!

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2008, 03:28:22 PM »
I think the simplest explanation is still the best. I believe that Juggy said it first, but maybe the freighters are lying.
  That would be a cheap cop-out by the writers and totally be counterintuitive to showing him dead and having the freighties say he's alive in the first place.  What would be the payoff here, that they lied?  How big of a revelation is that?

The reasons for showing us these things is to give us the hints that something weird is happening, and then pay that off in a big reveal later in another episdoe.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2008, 04:14:17 PM »
I think the simplest explanation is still the best. I believe that Juggy said it first, but maybe the freighters are lying.
  That would be a cheap cop-out by the writers and totally be counterintuitive to showing him dead and having the freighties say he's alive in the first place.  What would be the payoff here, that they lied?  How big of a revelation is that?

The reasons for showing us these things is to give us the hints that something weird is happening, and then pay that off in a big reveal later in another episdoe.
I agree, especially with lines like Dan's "'When' is kind of a relative term."

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2008, 04:56:18 PM »

I do agree with you on that, but another aspect of the show is the deceptive nature of people, so for them to lie about him being dead may actually have a much bigger pay off then we think. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that is actually what happened, but it is deffinitely a possibility.