Author Topic: Thoughts on the Doctor?  (Read 11075 times)

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the Doctor?
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2008, 09:06:03 PM »
You do calculations and dont have an accurate distance of the freighter, size of the island(map of the island for that matter) and current flow charts...sounds fresh to me ;D

I'll agree with you totally as far as a body floating on the wavy blue seas goes.  Likely more complicated than an oceanographer telling Lenny on L&O where the body was dumped on the East River and when.  The rocket, tho, isn't dependent upon currents, n-s-e-w headings, etc., but flies from pt A to pt B. Maybe. In a world without a protective electromagnetic bubble.  The Economist seemed to provide enough data (speed, time) to calculate distance, I think somewhere around 40 miles if I recall correctly, from where the rocket nearly hit the chopper.  But now the freighter is reportedly 85-90 miles offshore.  Then again, it's been a couple/few/several days, and the freighter is without engines, drifting.   So, who the frac knows where that damnable freighter is, or whether we might someday be able to purchase a LOST Physics 101 textbook.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2008, 09:15:36 PM »
You do calculations and dont have an accurate distance of the freighter, size of the island(map of the island for that matter) and current flow charts...sounds fresh to me ;D

I'll agree with you totally as far as a body floating on the wavy blue seas goes.  Likely more complicated than an oceanographer telling Lenny on L&O where the body was dumped on the East River and when.  The rocket, tho, isn't dependent upon currents, n-s-e-w headings, etc., but flies from pt A to pt B. Maybe. In a world without a protective electromagnetic bubble.  The Economist seemed to provide enough data (speed, time) to calculate distance, I think somewhere around 40 miles if I recall correctly, from where the rocket nearly hit the chopper.  But now the freighter is reportedly 85-90 miles offshore.  Then again, it's been a couple/few/several days, and the freighter is without engines, drifting.   So, who the frac knows where that damnable freighter is, or whether we might someday be able to purchase a LOST Physics 101 textbook.
....and when you purchase that book, you just crossed over...into...the Twighlight Zone...dun dun daaaa dun dun dun da.....

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2008, 09:43:31 PM »
More like, I get a nifty new pocket protector.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2008, 09:53:37 PM »
Ummmm I didn't know that I had to show all my calculations on paper. I do it in my head.  My teacher asked me the same thing, but I always had the right answer. :-[

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2008, 09:56:30 PM »
Ummmm I didn't know that I had to show all my calculations on paper. I do it in my head.  My teacher asked me the same thing, but I always had the right answer. :-[
LOL, I don't doubt your calculations...its where you got your variables...lol

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2008, 02:11:58 PM »
I think the simplest explanation is still the best. I believe that Juggy said it first, but maybe the freighters are lying.
  That would be a cheap cop-out by the writers and totally be counterintuitive to showing him dead and having the freighties say he's alive in the first place.  What would be the payoff here, that they lied?  How big of a revelation is that?

The reasons for showing us these things is to give us the hints that something weird is happening, and then pay that off in a big reveal later in another episdoe.

I do agree with you on that, but another aspect of the show is the deceptive nature of people, so for them to lie about him being dead may actually have a much bigger pay off then we think. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that is actually what happened, but it is deffinitely a possibility.
Certainly is a possibility, but I maintain that the reveal would have to be a big one, and then still it would have to be relative to the Doc "dying" in the first place.  There has to be a good reason that they would be lying, not just because they are dishonest or bad people, but because it has some relevance to the 'time being relative' aspect of what Daniel was hinting at that made the scene so mind blowing to begin with.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2008, 04:09:58 PM »
Thought du jour on the doctor- Jack makes it onto the freighter to have the appendectomy by the very doctor that had washed up on the shore the day before.

I prefer having Juliet rip it out with her teeth, then Kate wrestles her for it.

Christ!! where'd you go psycho??

Offline solost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2008, 04:44:58 PM »
I didn't read this entire post but it looks to me like old doc Ray has not been in the water much more then a day. His skin is still in good shape and the tissue in the wound is still pink. But what the hell do I know......I'm SOLOST!!!!

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2008, 03:49:33 AM »
Thought du jour on the doctor- Jack makes it onto the freighter to have the appendectomy by the very doctor that had washed up on the shore the day before.

I prefer having Juliet rip it out with her teeth, then Kate wrestles her for it.

They're making fun of ME going all psycho.   ::) :P :D

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2008, 09:35:34 AM »

They're making fun of ME going all psycho.   ::) :P :D

At this point, not anymore.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2008, 10:33:42 PM »

They're making fun of ME going all psycho.   ::) :P :D

At this point, not anymore.
I usually start grasping @ straws on Wednesday afternoons, jonesing for a new show to discuss!

Offline newyorktower

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2008, 08:49:01 AM »
I'm going with the theory that the freighter folk are lying because if they said he was dead, there's a whole new heap of questions needed to be asked.  How about the mercs just brought him with them on the whirlybird, he got on their nerves and they slit his throat and tossed him off, nearer the island.  80 miles and a body could have gone in any direction.  Time travel stuff hurts my brain.  Too many Back to the Future stuff is happening.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2008, 03:06:17 PM »
Welcome, New York! I'm with you.