Author Topic: Thoughts on the Doctor?  (Read 11642 times)

Offline Shoeless

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the Doctor?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 03:22:46 PM »
Could the mercs have dropped the doc's body en route to the island? (not sure where the doc was when they left?)  :-\

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 03:54:42 PM »
He is dead and the boat people lied to Daniel

Why would the boat people lie about the doctor being ok if Daniel is telling them that he found the doctor's dead, throat-slit body? (or did Daniel not tell them that he found the body?)

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 04:07:35 PM »
I have to agree with Juggy
I want to agree with Juggy on this. And for now, I do.

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 04:09:52 PM »

Why would the boat people lie about the doctor being ok if Daniel is telling them that he found the doctor's dead, throat-slit body? (or did Daniel not tell them that he found the body?)
I believe he just asked what happened to the doctor.  I don't think he said anything about the body washing up on shore.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 04:13:49 PM »

I believe he just asked what happened to the doctor.  I don't think he said anything about the body washing up on shore.

Ah, ok...

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 04:17:44 PM »
Have to agree with Juggy. Plus keep in mind that Bernard knows Morse code, so if Daniel lied about what he said to them, Bernard would have called him out on it. I'm glad that this topic actually came up, because now the losties have an opportunity to start asking questions about everything (in Morse Code) and get some real answers without anyone knowing who is asking.

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 05:00:11 PM »
Have to agree with Juggy. Plus keep in mind that Bernard knows Morse code, so if Daniel lied about what he said to them, Bernard would have called him out on it. I'm glad that this topic actually came up, because now the losties have an opportunity to start asking questions about everything (in Morse Code) and get some real answers without anyone knowing who is asking.

I agree,

Bernard was quick to call out daniel on the lie of the return message, as I remember Daniel was saying what he was (morsing?) as he dotted and dashed so if any of those dots or dashes didnt match what he was saying out loud Bernard would have been right on that also.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 08:42:07 PM »
Coming late to this. Yeah, it's the real Doc and yeah he's dead. I don't think there's backwards time travel at work here. Interesting thought by Shoeless: if the Doc was with the mercs and they ticked him off....

I don't think we can assume the ship is still 80-90 miles away, so the body drifting ashore might not be as unlikely as it sounds even if he were killed on the boat. But we definitely need to get back to the freighter and find out more.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008, 04:56:35 PM »
The one on the ship has a healed cut on his face, the dead one has stitches.
I'm still looking for a reliable screencap on this, but it reminds me of Candle/ Wickmund/ Hallowax's sometimes prosthetic arm.

Someone slits the Doc's throat and throws him overboard.  He washes up on shore, but since his body didn't follow the right heading it arrives in the past.  In other words, the Doc is alive on board, but someone is going to kill him in the future.  Does this make sense?
It makes sense except that there should have been a delay instead.  They have already shown us that when Regina launched the rocket, it arrived AFTER Daniel thought it should have.

& then there's always this idea. ;)

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2008, 07:24:11 PM »
Coming late to this. Yeah, it's the real Doc and yeah he's dead. I don't think there's backwards time travel at work here. Interesting thought by Shoeless: if the Doc was with the mercs and they ticked him off....

I don't think we can assume the ship is still 80-90 miles away, so the body drifting ashore might not be as unlikely as it sounds even if he were killed on the boat. But we definitely need to get back to the freighter and find out more.

It's become clear, yes, with the rocket and the apparent 'delay' from the perspective of Jack/Kate on the island of the time it took for the helicopter to reach the freighter, that somehow either the rate of the flow of time lags on the island, or flows at the same rate but is permanently behind that of the world beyond the island's bubble.  This may come into play with how/when the freighter's doc gets killed.  Or, yeah, perhaps the freighter drifted in closer to the island after Michael sabotaged the engines.  Or maybe the wind & currents brought the body in - it would take overly long to go even up to 80miles.

Conclusion: inconclusive, without more data.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2008, 08:27:09 PM »
It is very likely, if not confirmed yet, that time is the same on and off the Island with distortion/dilation going to and fro. It can't be that the Island is a fixed time behind the outside world 'cause what would that differece be? The rocket was just a couple of hours late in arriving, but the heli was more than a day late.....

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008, 08:48:40 PM »
Ultimately, I do prefer a time dilation explanation.  Explains why the heli trip might take longer than the much faster rocket.  But we have the added variable of the swan hatch implosion.  Perhaps that has recently changed the island's time situation, either the rate of flow of time island vis-a-vis the real world, or the island's position in time.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2008, 09:50:04 PM »
Im thinking he went on the chopper and got killed by them.  He is dead and there is only one body of him not two or three.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2008, 10:03:55 PM »
Didn't we see the doctor on the freighter after it was explained to Des/Sayid that Frank was just off on an errand?  It would seem an odd addition to a chopper filled with merc's to include the doctor, who would have no need to be on such a mission.  I think it points to further violence on the boat, where everyone seems to either have gone nuts, or are close to it.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2008, 10:05:28 PM »
I dont remember when we last saw the doctor, before or after the chopper left.  But if it was before then maybe they need the doctor just in case something happens to Ben.  Remember  they want him alive.