Author Topic: All the anti- time travel theorists heads are spinning today  (Read 11335 times)

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: All the anti- time travel theorists heads are spinning today
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 12:52:18 PM »
i think the teleportation thing probably rattles you a bit.  maybe he was just making sure it was the same day and not a different one.  i don't teleport and sometimes i have problems remembering what day it is.  and year.  right now i'm working on 2009, so i cought myself writing a check for april 23, 2009 the other day. 

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 12:55:20 PM »
Where are you people getting the idea that he time traveled or teleported.  It looked to me like any other flash forward.  I saw no evidence of time travel in this episode.  The only thing we don't know is how he got in the middle of the desert but we don't have any evidence of time travel yet.  You all just seem so sure that this episode proved time travel but I didn't see that proven.  I'm not trying to start a debate and I'm not anti time travel either, I'm just wondering what is suddenly making everyone so sure.  It just looked like a flash forward.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 12:57:17 PM »
Where are you people getting the idea that he time traveled or teleported.  It looked to me like any other flash forward.  I saw no evidence of time travel in this episode.  The only thing we don't know is how he got in the middle of the desert but we don't have any evidence of time travel yet.  You all just seem so sure that this episode proved time travel but I didn't see that proven.  I'm not trying to start a debate and I'm not anti time travel either, I'm just wondering what is suddenly making everyone so sure.  It just looked like a flash forward.
i like this idea even better. 

Offline Fallybear

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 01:15:28 PM »

Why would Ben ask what YEAR it was if there was not time  travel. I"m pretty sure that is  what the writers are indicating by that statement.

I think he asked her "2005?" when she told him the date.  To me, this means he did not know what year he had teleported to.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 01:18:27 PM by Fallybear »

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 01:18:14 PM »
Why would Ben ask what YEAR it was if there was not time  travel. I"m pretty sure that is  what the writers are indicating by that statement.
Wasn't there also the absence of footprints around Ben in the desert?

Offline hackgrid

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 01:21:53 PM »
I think he asked her "2005?" when she told him the date.  To me, this means he did not know what year he had teleported to.

Sounds for me he wasn't to sure if something went wrong and he traveled space AND time.

Offline IFP

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 01:31:36 PM »

Ben opened his eyes, teeth chattering, gasped for air, lying in the middle of the desert in an arctic coat, sat up, disoriented, and puked. I think that's what suggests teleportation. Then the fact the he asked what year it was suggests time travel. It COULD all be a clever illusion though.

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 01:32:05 PM »
Not time travel but teleportation. There is a big difference. He used the orchid station to do it. He is not going to the future and coming back and changing events. There is zero evidence of that happening.
This is just semantics.  He traveled from one location to another.  It can't be at the exact same time, or there would be 2 of him (a twin or duplicate), so if it's one second later or 15 minutes, earlier, he's time traveling.
The doctor is dead and the boat people lied about it.
This is pure speculation by you, and just as you say there is "zero evidence" for my theory, there is indeed zero evidence for yours as well.  You say trust the simplest theory, the simplest was one that was shown to us, i.e., the doctor is not dead on the boat, but he's dead on the beach.

Ben went to the cave to get smokie not to travel to the desert. Even Sayid asked him when he got off the island.  Sayid knows he left him on the island, sometime in early 2005
I didn't say Ben went to "the cave" to travel.  But certainly he is using some way to get on and off, whether it's inside the special room or from some other bunker or station.  Interesting that Ben didn't know what "time" he had ended up in at Tunisia, so if he didn't know, then he obviously doesn't have as much control over it as you would think. 

Jumping many logic steps to push a theory you believe in. Most times the simple answer is the best answer.
You have assumed several steps also my friend, it seems to me that you allow yourself to do this to push your own theory, but don't allow others the same freedom.

It may be semantics, but it is not time traveling to the future or past and back.
As you wish.

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 01:35:27 PM »
OMG.  Are you serious? :o

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 01:39:39 PM »
Good question there.

I think it has to do with the problem with time and leaving the island. It was the time frame he thought it was. So he was not "lost in time". But there is time issues with leaving the island but it does not land you in the future, just like the helicopter leaving the island
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  Could you explain?

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 02:07:16 PM »

Ben opened his eyes, teeth chattering, gasped for air, lying in the middle of the desert in an arctic coat, sat up, disoriented, and puked. I think that's what suggests teleportation. Then the fact the he asked what year it was suggests time travel. It COULD all be a clever illusion though.
It was December, 2004 on the island when we were watching our episode.  It was October 2005 when Ben was shown in Tunisia at the hotel counter.  Either it was a clever ruse to disguise forward time travel, or they conveniently left out and entire year and just moved the storyline to 2005.  This is very confusing to average viewers IMO.  They seem to be tapdancing around the idea of time travel.

We are nibbling around the edges, and I want to take a big bite out of it.

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 02:13:20 PM »
No one would ask what year it is -- especially to a stranger -- unless they were unsure themselves. And to say the writers did it "for our benefit" makes no sense. If they wanted us to know what year it was, the worst thing to do on THIS show is to have a character ASK what year it is.

In shows and movies, to tell JUST THE VIEWERS what date it is, they often just put a crawl/subtitle on the screen: "Tunisia, October 2005."

Having Ben ask what date and then year it is was supposed to be significant. It was SUPPOSED to give us INFORMATION about SOME aspect of the show. If it's not time-travel of some variety, why else would he ask?

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 02:17:48 PM »
It was December 2004 on the island when we were watching our episode.  It was October 2005 when Ben was shown in Tunisia at the hotel counter.  Either it was a clever ruse to disguise forward time travel, or they conveniently left out and entire year and just moved the storyline to 2005.  This is very confusing to average viewers IMO.

This is what Lost does for 4 years now. Flashes back/flashes forward. We see events on the island in 2004 and suddenly we go 20 years in the past or 2 years in the future. Were they all timetravels?

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 02:19:54 PM »
There is something in why he asked the year. Time travel, teleportation, what ever. I am going to retrospectively falsify any previous statements I may have made for or against the ideas, and just say that this opened a side chapter on the story.

To outright just say "no" is a bit close minded, though they that be the writers said no time travel, they did say they weren't averse to time "bending"...that implies what it says.
There is no "Heroes" time travel, but there is something more than mere Star Trekian teleportation...circumstantial evidence has been presented to assert such.

Come on, join me on the fence for this one, I've got some iced Dos Equis, hostess cherry pies, a pit going with some Cabrito slow roasting and homemade corn tortillas, just bring yer own change of underthings, we'll ride this one out... ;D
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 02:24:34 PM »
Come on, join me on the fence for this one, I've got some iced Dos Equis, hostess cherry pies, a pit going with some Cabrito slow roasting and homemade corn tortillas, just bring yer own change of underthings, we'll ride this one out... ;D
i'll bring the salsa!