Author Topic: Ben's Hurt Arm in Halliwax's Coat in tunisia  (Read 5703 times)

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Ben's Hurt Arm in Halliwax's Coat in tunisia
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 02:06:28 AM »
Remember how he asked what the day and year was when he was at the counter.  Maybe he didnt know when he would really arrive there, so in case he showed up during the winter time, he had a nice big coat on.  Deserts are the hottest and coldest places on earth.  I here Ant Arctica is a desert.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 02:58:49 AM »
Admittedly there are extreme temperatures in the desert, but I am holding securely to the Vile Vortices theory.  Ben can't just tap his heels together 3 times & end up where ever he wishes. lol  I believe he launched from a polar location.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 03:12:08 AM »
Admittedly there are extreme temperatures in the desert, but I am holding securely to the Vile Vortices theory.  Ben can't just tap his heels together 3 times & end up where ever he wishes. lol  I believe he launched from a polar location.

Or it's some type of cold fusion reactor he has to walk into....

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 11:03:56 AM »
I would suggest the big coat is worn for a drop in temperature BEFORE he lands in the desert.
Rewatching the part where Ben comes to in the desert he is shivering and ice vapour is seen coming off him - so I would suggest that it was extremley cold wherever Ben came from rather than he was expecting it to be cold wherever he landed.

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 11:55:08 AM »
p.s. As for his arm being hurt...

I don't think it was just teleportation, but time travel too. Why else would Ben ask which year it is?

I believe that Sayid injured Ben in the future, in a futile attempt to stop him travelling back to October 2005, believing that he'd never become Ben's recruit if he did so.

If it is time travel (which his question to the hotel clerk seems to hint towards), why did his wound come through with him? (If he got hurt just as he was leaving the teleportation station.)

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 02:10:01 PM »
Vicky, I don't think people here are thinkin' about Desmond type consciousness time travel. They're thinkin' his body moved through time.

Offline KateReallyLovesJack

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 09:37:03 PM »
This isn't about the jacket exactly, but where in the world did those two men in the desert come from? Ben stood up and scanned the horizon, I didn't see any city in the distance or anything... something tells me it's pretty unlikely that you would just happen to stumble upon somebody in the middle of the Sahara, especially someone who just teleported there... if that's what happened...

Were they expecting him? They didn't seem very surprised to happen upon a man in the middle of the desert wearing a winter coat... you know, they rounded the corner almost as if they were looking for him.  ???

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2008, 09:44:44 PM »
Vicky, I don't think people here are thinkin' about Desmond type consciousness time travel. They're thinkin' his body moved through time.

I'm thinking Ben moved through space, not time.  And if to teleport (ala the cones seen on Dan's chalkboard: http://lost.cubit.net/archives/2008/02/4x05-dans-chalkboard.php ) one must pass through a region of space that's frigid, then that'd be a plausible explanation for the cold vapor coming off of Ben as he awakens.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 05:36:31 PM »
This isn't about the jacket exactly, but where in the world did those two men in the desert come from? Ben stood up and scanned the horizon, I didn't see any city in the distance or anything... something tells me it's pretty unlikely that you would just happen to stumble upon somebody in the middle of the Sahara, especially someone who just teleported there... if that's what happened...

Were they expecting him? They didn't seem very surprised to happen upon a man in the middle of the desert wearing a winter coat... you know, they rounded the corner almost as if they were looking for him.  ???

Yeah, it was mighty convenient of them to show up and donate their horses.  ;)

Offline moyboy

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 09:49:15 PM »
perhaps the coat was due to going to a different (and COLD) location first... like Antartica (or wherever) where the two men were monitoring that equipment for Penny back when Des turned the fail safe and they got a blip on their screen and contacted her. why would they be in that specific cold location, wherever it is... they probably could monitor / look for the island from anywhere with the equipment they had. perhaps there is more happening than we know at whatever location that was and thats where Ben went to first, perhaps looking for Penny, thus wearing the cold weather parka? Ben could have had a scuffle in the cold environment resulting in his getting injured with a tear in the jacket and then he was off to tunisia...

but what i don't know, in regards to this possible scenario and any off island travel in general... how does he get back? whatever he is using on the island to leave (black box, secret room, sex with smokey, etc)... whatever he is using wouldn't be in tunisia or anywhere else he might go to for him to use to return. so that makes me think that his method of travel is something that he inherently can bring on by his own accord?

also, Ben is certainly a bad ass when he's got that collapsible baton. we haven't seen that on the island yet, i don'[t believe, there's definitely been occasions where he might have used it if he did. he's received alot of ass kickings. any speculation as to where he got the collapsible baton? do we know, is something like that police or military issue i wonder?

Offline Point Place WI

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 12:04:34 AM »
I think the reason Ben was wearing haliwax's coat was more of a fashion statement.  I've seen stupid broads wear those fury boots and skirts to bars.  One of those Paris Hilton fashion statments that get trendy. 

On a realistic note I think it was a Polar Bear.  I also don't like this new form of time travel.  Hmm let me think maybe Ben has an Unconcious time travel going on.  It's Ben's alter Ego...Charles Widmore.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 12:16:31 AM »
also, Ben is certainly a bad ass when he's got that collapsible baton. we haven't seen that on the island yet, i don'[t believe, there's definitely been occasions where he might have used it if he did. he's received alot of ass kickings. any speculation as to where he got the collapsible baton? do we know, is something like that police or military issue i wonder?
He used it when he layed the smack down on Sawyer in the cages.  I know it's used in law enforcement (right Cowboy Up?), but I'm not sure about military. 

btw- LOL @ sex with Smokey.  ;D

I think the reason Ben was wearing haliwax's coat was more of a fashion statement.  I've seen stupid broads wear those fury boots and skirts to bars.  One of those Paris Hilton fashion statments that get trendy.  I can see Ben singing this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV05cbBY4VQ

On a realistic note I think it was a Polar Bear.  I also don't like this new form of time travel.  Hmm let me think maybe Ben has an Unconcious time travel going on.  It's Ben's alter Ego...Charles Widmore.
Best idea so far.

Offline ontwoopie

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 09:18:51 AM »
I have a few things that bother me....When we first see Ben lying there in the desert, is there steam or white smoke around him, like you get when you open the fridge door?  Also, the desk clerk stated the date as October ? 2005. Didn't Desmond contact Penny from the boat at Christmas 2005 - a few months later in relative time? If the doctor is on the boat and dead on the island, what is the difference in time between the two?

Offline Survivor815

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 10:19:29 AM »
I have a few things that bother me....When we first see Ben lying there in the desert, is there steam or white smoke around him, like you get when you open the fridge door?  Also, the desk clerk stated the date as October ? 2005. Didn't Desmond contact Penny from the boat at Christmas 2005 - a few months later in relative time? If the doctor is on the boat and dead on the island, what is the difference in time between the two?

No, when Desmond contacted Penny it was on Christmas 2004.

Offline nejsitsol

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2008, 03:57:39 PM »

I don't think it was just teleportation, but time travel too. Why else would Ben ask which year it is?

I think Ben asked the date because he was hoping for some sort of clue or code word.....maybe just maybe!