Author Topic: The Secret room within the secret room and was smokey hiding in the closet?  (Read 11580 times)

Offline patrixmith

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Dirty, Sooty, muddy whatever condition he came back into the room we can agree Ben affected Smokey to do it's work.

Agreed (Also, If you've ever been near a large black smoke burning fire, you'll be covered in a similar black residue. Ben was definitely with Smokey in the cave).

In regards to whether Ben affected Smokey, even our Losties knew Ben had a hand in setting Smokey loose. This is easily confirmed; when Smokey starts kicking some booty and the Losties run outside, Locke yells to Ben, "What did you do?" and Hurley says to Ben right after he returned from the cave, "Dude, did you just call that thing?" And then after Smokey leaves Locke says to Ben, "I'm sorry about your daughter, but that being said, you lied to me. You told me you didn't know what the smoke monster was." There's no question about it; they all know Ben set it loose.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
I think it's less likely that where Ben went to, to do whatever he did to summon/direct Smokey, wasn't the actual tunnel that Smokey moves about it in.  Rather, like those service tunnels that are bored out parallel to underground train tunnels, Ben went to a separate tunnel/cave to access the controls, where it nonetheless is berry, berry durrrty.

Or, maybe Ben speaks Parsel Tongue, like Harry Potter, and coiled up with Smokey in his snake pit. But that'd make Ben a snake, and not a swine.  What disgusting creature best represents Ben? Reminds me of the infamous Snake vs. Rat speech from the first season of Survivor:
   http://youtube.com/watch?v=aBSMBfoMVHk
Classic.

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Im starting to think more and more that there is a little box on the island that can bring you anything you want.  Just like Ben told Locke.

Anyone else think this.

I said the exact thing to my husband after the episode ended. Ben was being literal about the box!
This was my original assumption, and I was ridiculed for it.

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
I think it's less likely that where Ben went to, to do whatever he did to summon/direct Smokey, wasn't the actual tunnel that Smokey moves about it in.  Rather, like those service tunnels that are bored out parallel to underground train tunnels, Ben went to a separate tunnel/cave to access the controls, where it nonetheless is berry, berry durrrty.

GIGGLESNORT.. I actually heard you say that in my head...!!

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Interesting--- i did read some stuff about the doors and what they represent.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Did anybody see the translation of the hieroglyphs? Something about it meaning "to summon protection" but can be changed to mean several other things...still close tho...

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Did anybody see the translation of the hieroglyphs? Something about it meaning "to summon protection" but can be changed to mean several other things...still close tho...

I thought they were more about healing ....it was limited but interesting enough to get one thinking. 

I look forward to the full translation.  If you come across it let me know.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
"Time to summon strength"

"To summon time protection" or "To summon time power"

"Time summons the power of life"

Source:Docazrt

more of the possible meanings of the symbols...

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Some of the marks on the door are heiroglyphs (Egyptian)! Much like the symbols on thw timer from the Swan....by Jorge's face from left to right:

the figure before the crook and reed and water symbol could be the glyph for "force" the glyphs spell - S-I-N however above the water glyph appears to be a circle which is the symbol for time or sun...not exactly sure how that all translates - just recognize a few symbols from trying to learn to read heiroglyphs...  :-\

the figure below the glyphs is holding a cross before the fish....interesting mix of symbology....

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
found another pic of the door....

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: The Secret room within the secret room and was smokey hiding in the closet?
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2008, 03:27:14 PM »
I just rewatched this  episode, and something occurred to me. The barracks were built by Dharma, before Ben was on the island. So does that mean that someone in Dharma built the secret room, and the secret secret room, back then?

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2008, 04:25:34 PM »
found another pic of the door....

any decipering?  I could never find larger pictures of that either.

I just rewatched this  episode, and something occurred to me. The barracks were built by Dharma, before Ben was on the island. So does that mean that someone in Dharma built the secret room, and the secret secret room, back then?

Well, yes it would make sense they were "hiding" them.  Remember Ben blew a hole in the transporter pod so he could get to the wheel.  So Dharma knew what was there and their tests were perhaps in line with what was in those areas.  We found that out with the Swan.

But what were they attempting to "control"   :'(

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2008, 02:07:13 PM »
I agree with that!

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2008, 01:58:56 PM »

Otherville was constructed atop the ancient ruins of another culture, one that possible created Smokey. The secret door led to a chamber where rituals were made to the gods of that culture. Smokey is an "extension" of those gods made manifest over many years. The culture thereby gave the island "life" inadvertantly. DHARMA scientists stumbled upon this chamber and decided it was best to keep it hidden from unauthorized eyes, so they hid Smokey's chamber under the barracks of the DHARMA leader. Unfortunately, they did not forsee being wiped out. Ben found the door, translated the symbols and found a way of "resurecting" the ancient power, so to speak. In this light, Jacob is but an extension of another force on the island. So you have one for seemingly good, one for seemingly bad. Light and dark - both raised by the ancient rituals on the island.

The "donkey wheel" is another part of the ancient complex. Again, DHARMA scientists found the site and "buried" it under their own, tapping into the power source of the wheel which they used to temporal experiments. Ben, after completing his coup over DHARMA, read about the ancient "temple" in DHARMA documents and learned what the scientists knew of the "time wheel".

Of course this is just a theory  ;D

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2008, 12:58:37 PM »
I pretty much agree with the broad outlines of this theory, Otter. Whether the ancient culture is a human one and the supernatural is involved, or whether it's alien and we're talking science fiction (or some variation) I think is still up for grabs.

Also, are you arguing for Dharma as the seemingly good and Ben as the seemingly evil? If so, I agree with the Dharma part. I don't think there's anything seemingly about Ben at present though there's always the chance he's not beyond some form of redemption.

And how does Jacob fit in again?  ;)