Author Topic: Why Sayid is working for Ben  (Read 10116 times)

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Why Sayid is working for Ben
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 11:04:16 AM »
I'd like a peek at that rule book.

Yeah. When Ben said "he changed the rules" first I thought he meant the island or Jacob, by not letting the bullit bounce off the head of Alex. Ben immediately went into his secret room and released Smokey. So I think that was against the rules too.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 11:14:16 AM »
Well, the thing that got me was how Ben said all of that right before she got shot, almost as if, if you say it and believe it, it will happen. That's why I think that Widmore said to Ben that he killed his daughter, because Ben didn't believe that he didn't care about Alex.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 11:16:55 AM »
Well, the thing that got me was how Ben said all of that right before she got shot, almost as if, if you say it and believe it, it will happen. That's why I think that Widmore said to Ben that he killed his daughter, because Ben didn't believe that he didn't care about Alex.

Yeah, it struck my like he was trying to convince himself and 'roid army dude, mantra like....
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline blueeyed2200

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 11:17:07 AM »
I think Ben's grin as he was walking away from Sayid was merely just satisfaction with himself for being able to recruit Sayid to help him.  He was not being inconspicuous in any way following that guy.  And knowing Sayid and his personality, he had to have known that Sayid would be watching Ben from the moment he saw him in Iraq.  So naturally Ben had to have known that if he was able to lead him to Nadia's killer, that Sayid would be willing to work with him to take down Widmore and his men.  I honestly don't think he would have been behind Nadia's death, but with this show, you never know.

Offline qgardens

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 11:57:24 AM »
That is setting us up for a nice show down with Desmond and Ben over Penny.

If Desmonds survives.

...which is what I hope is coming.  Frankly, I've become satisfied with or lost most interest in the direction of many of the storylines, but this season has piqued my interest in the Desmond-Penny story.  "The Constant" wasn't about Des being Miles' constant, it was about Pen being Des', but even more about love being a true, if not always solid, constant in the world.  I think the love between Des & Pen is the most true and honest represented on the show.  Everyone else has some form of awful little secret s/he is (or feels) forced to hide, and then there's Ben, the master of secrets and manipulation.  A showdown 'twixt Ben and Des over Pen would really be a battle of unconditional love against (choose your evil force).   

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 01:26:04 PM »
To me it seemed as if Sayid knew he was being followed, but that he said some little thing like, "You!" when he uncovered and saw that it was actually Ben. I found that a little odd.

Also, I don't find Ben's answer as to how he got off the island all that weird. (It's not true, but it's believable.) After all, Des didn't get it to work because he didn't know the bearings to follow. But Ben does. He had Michael follow them, and that worked (which Sayid would already know). The helicopter pilot knows the coordinates to follow too.

So, the issue is whether or not you can steer the vessel properly and determinedly enough to get through whatever hassles there are in getting there.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 01:33:35 PM »
To me it seemed as if Sayid knew he was being followed, but that he said some little thing like, "You!" when he uncovered and saw that it was actually Ben. I found that a little odd.

Also, I don't find Ben's answer as to how he got off the island all that weird. (It's not true, but it's believable.) After all, Des didn't get it to work because he didn't know the bearings to follow. But Ben does. He had Michael follow them, and that worked (which Sayid would already know). The helicopter pilot knows the coordinates to follow too.

So, the issue is whether or not you can steer the vessel properly and determinedly enough to get through whatever hassles there are in getting there.

Yeah, that was set up prior when Ben saw him on TV being hounded Paris Hilton style by the press. So Sayid just thought he was another paparazzi.

His "travel story" did sound plausible, but did he do a Bunny Trick? hehehehe Cause, unless he was hijacked by Capt. Jack Sparrow and dumped in the Sahara, we know that's bull.

F. Bacon

Offline Petey

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 02:35:50 PM »
it almost makes me wonder if ben could have been behind nadia's death.  just to get sayid's help.

Ding, ding, ding. That's what I think.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 02:41:18 PM »
it almost makes me wonder if ben could have been behind nadia's death.  just to get sayid's help.

Ding, ding, ding. That's what I think.

Too "big picture" for me. I think it was Widmore that did it, and Ben just knows how to manipulate people and situations to suit him.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 02:52:09 PM »
Ben's an evil weevil, but Widdy is behind this one, till the prosecution puts forth more evidence....

'course Widdy might just say, "...but Sayid, you killed her not me..."

F. Bacon

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 04:01:36 PM »
Put nadia on the same list as the fake plane crash.  Widmore? Ben?  We could debate this until next year and we won't have the answer until it's given to us.

Didn't someone have a fence party going on around here somewhere?  I'm climbing right up on this one myself.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 04:11:43 PM »
welcome welcome,

no points of view are dismissed, yet gentle ribbing is allowed, keep it friendly like and you need not take a stand for either should you not feel like it...we are the witnesses, collecting intel to better make sound judgments....and we're drinkin' so bring an ID, there's some dr pepper here too...

F. Bacon

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 04:14:03 PM »
welcome welcome,

no points of view are dismissed, yet gentle ribbing is allowed, keep it friendly like and you need not take a stand for either should you not feel like it...we are the witnesses, collecting intel to better make sound judgments....and we're drinkin' so bring an ID, there's some dr pepper here too...
None are dismissed, although some are heartily laughed at. ;)

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 04:21:05 PM »
Put nadia on the same list as the fake plane crash.  Widmore? Ben?  We could debate this until next year and we won't have the answer until it's given to us.

Didn't someone have a fence party going on around here somewhere?  I'm climbing right up on this one myself.
Maybe neither of them are responsible for Nadia's death.  Ben saw Sayid on tv trying to bury his wife in peace... maybe he just decided to use this as an opportunity to recruit Sayid.  What evidence is there that the picture was taken as close to where Nadia died (in location as well as time) as what Ben stated?  Sayid was seeking vengeance and Ben knew that he wasn't going to require much, if any, evidence of who was responsible.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 04:32:08 PM »

Maybe neither of them are responsible for Nadia's death.  Ben saw Sayid on tv trying to bury his wife in peace... maybe he just decided to use this as an opportunity to recruit Sayid.  What evidence is there that the picture was taken as close to where Nadia died (in location as well as time) as what Ben stated?  Sayid was seeking vengeance and Ben knew that he wasn't going to require much, if any, evidence of who was responsible.

Wasn't the info at on the picture that Ben showed Sayid??