Author Topic: Ben vs Widmore  (Read 13861 times)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Ben vs Widmore
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2008, 03:10:36 PM »
When Widmore stated that the island was 'always' his, I got chills.  I have always thought it will come down to science vs. faith, but now I think Widmore may even pre-date Dharma.  This may be a basic good vs. evil situation with science caught in the middle.  If my 'Revelation' ideas pan out (again, it's only a theory, I'm not claiming to have the answers!) Widmore may have been using man's science to solve the Valenzetti equation and prevent the end of days, thereby ensuring that the world continues in its' evil ways with him in control of the island.  Ben could be protecting the island from science in order to preserve the Valenzetti prediction, thereby enabling the prophesy of Revelation to 'purge' the world of all its' evil and be reborn into a reign of peace.  Some have said there is no way that Ben could be one of the good guys, but my theory is that he is, after all, only human and has failed in many ways to live up to Jacob's wishes, which could be why Jacob has reached out to Locke and now Hurley.  I'm picturing Jacob will be revealed when he is freed from his prison and his rightful paradise returned to him in the final episode of the series.  Paradise Found!

Or not........what on Craphole Island do I know?

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2009, 10:04:25 PM »
I just rewatched this episode, along with all the others ::), and really loved it (again!).  I love the Widmore/Ben relationship, the fact that imo the Island wont let them die and that Widmore not just predates dharma, but Ben as well (BOY!). 

I saw some mention in the thread about Widmore being one of the natives, and another saying he ran Dharma.  One way I could see either one working is: Ben told Hurley that he was ordered or doing someone's bidding when he killed all the dharma people...so Richard? Jacob? Was this incident what led Widmore to losing the island?  Did he lose in the capacity of CEO or was he banished, lost power, etc?

Someone humor me :)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2009, 10:23:20 PM »
I would think the purge had something to do with losing control of the island. Maybe they moved the island after the purge and so now Widmore can not find it.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2009, 10:28:22 PM »
Maybe Widmore was one of the Dharma leaders that were lucky enough to get out just in time to not be killed in the purge.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2009, 10:30:29 PM »
But he would still be able to find the island. Something happened that now Widmore can not find the island. So either it was moved or to find it you need to know the beacon code.

Ben did tell Locke that since the hatch blew up, they can not find their way back to the island. The sub would of been a one way trip

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2009, 07:01:10 AM »
see now I'm confused... I thought the number punching HID the island... now you're saying it did the opposite?

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2009, 09:36:48 AM »
I just rewatched this episode, along with all the others ::), and really loved it (again!).  I love the Widmore/Ben relationship, the fact that imo the Island wont let them die and that Widmore not just predates dharma, but Ben as well (BOY!). 

I saw some mention in the thread about Widmore being one of the natives, and another saying he ran Dharma.  One way I could see either one working is: Ben told Hurley that he was ordered or doing someone's bidding when he killed all the dharma people...so Richard? Jacob? Was this incident what led Widmore to losing the island?  Did he lose in the capacity of CEO or was he banished, lost power, etc?

Someone humor me :)

I never thought of Widmore as having been one of the natives, but it's possible.  Could he have been in charge at the time Ben came to the island as a boy?  Maybe after the purge, he had to move the island so that Dharma couldn't send people to re-take it.  Ben said once he moved the island, he wouldn't be able to go back himself, so maybe Widmore had planned for someone to come get him after he moved the island, but then Ben decided to keep it hidden from him so that he could stay in charge instead.

Of course it's always possible that Widmore is just a powerful businessman looking to take control of the power of the island, but I feel they are definitely leaning toward him being more 'supernatural' somehow, maybe along the lines of Richard the ageless.