Author Topic: Teleportation?  (Read 12155 times)

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Teleportation?
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2008, 02:34:56 PM »
I wasn't entirely sure the desk clerk looked scared when she found out he was a preferred guest. I thought it could have easily also been a little confusion. After all, he looked pretty ragged and ratty to be a preferred guest.

The clerk may not have had a reaction to the fact that he is a preferred guest, but it may have been a reaction to the name he used. Moriarti.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2008, 02:42:37 PM »
I wasn't entirely sure the desk clerk looked scared when she found out he was a preferred guest. I thought it could have easily also been a little confusion. After all, he looked pretty ragged and ratty to be a preferred guest.

The clerk may not have had a reaction to the fact that he is a preferred guest, but it may have been a reaction to the name he used. Moriarti.

Perhaps there were special instructions or something next to the name in the book. I know that if I were to be responsible for a "preferred guest" that would make me a little nervous as well.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2008, 03:42:48 PM »
I don't think she was scared as much as, 'He is a special guest and gets special treatment.I need to put on my A game for him"

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2008, 03:44:31 PM »
I don't think she was scared as much as, 'He is a special guest and gets special treatment.I need to put on my A game for him"

Yeah, like Jason Borne!

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2008, 03:48:15 PM »
I would like to point out that there is absolutely NO reason that Ben would teleport to the future in the middle of the episode. Maybe if he only went to Widmore, that might make sense, but he didn't. He transported to a random location ready to take pictures and surveillance.

There is no reason to think he jumped from 2004 to 2005.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2008, 03:52:47 PM »
You can call it what you want, but he moved from one time line to another- physically- yes, physically.

The rest is just posturing and parsing, but he time traveled.  They may not call it time travel in the sense of Marty McFly or some dumb analogy like that, but Ben went from 2004 to 2005. End of story.

Aaaaaargh!  Where during those scenes did anyone say anything about Ben having come from 2004?  We don't know where he was prior to his arriving in the desert.  All we know is that he was wearing a parka supposedly from the Orchid station, he was shivering and injured.  None of these things suggests he had just been on the island in 2004 moments ago.  My GUESS (and I'll admit it is a guess, not state it as fact and declare the subject closed) is that just as in the Orchid video, they don't quite have the bugs worked out yet.  The polar bear in the desert (or the ones on the island for that matter) may have been a result of testing the teleportation and just like the old fashioned ways of travel, there may be some time distortion when leaving from or arriving on the island, which would explain why Ben needed to double check the date and year.  Could he have come from 2004?  Sure, but the case is not closed by far.  And IMHO, he definitely did not come from his secret room during the time of the rest of the episode.  Again, IMHO.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2008, 03:54:46 PM »
I am assuming he did this on OCtober 24th 2005. He was just checking to see if something went wrong. IMHO

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2008, 03:57:28 PM »
I am assuming he did this on OCtober 24th 2005. He was just checking to see if something went wrong. IMHO
I'm assuming this as well. I'm also assuming the parka was in case something went wrong.

However, who's to say it isn't from 2006 or later? If you think about it, he has to have time to get pictures of Nadia's killer, so most likely it has to be after that.

A better theory would be to say he went back in time when he figured out he couldn't kill Penny on his own, but needs Sayid's help. Not that I agree with it. I still say no intentional time-jumping.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2008, 04:10:08 PM »
I would like to point out that there is absolutely NO reason that Ben would teleport to the future in the middle of the episode. Maybe if he only went to Widmore, that might make sense, but he didn't. He transported to a random location ready to take pictures and surveillance.

THANK YOU!!

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2008, 04:13:12 PM »

THANK YOU!!
You're quite welcome.

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2008, 07:39:06 PM »
Another reason to think that Ben didn't hastily leave during the middle of the 2004-island scenes is that his clothes in the desert are all different from the ones he's wearing while holed up in the house. Different pants, shirt(s), etc.

If he were in any sort of "getaway" mode in the island scenes, he might have grabbed a jacket and coat, but probably wouldn't have changed his shirt and pants ... for similar shirt and pants. Except if he really hated being dirty. :)

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2008, 09:15:58 PM »
I agree with Juggy and JB. No reason to think time travel, at least not intentionally. And he certainly didn't leave in the middle of the firefight to go to Tunisia, if that's what some people are suggesting.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2008, 09:28:06 PM »
I agree, asking what year it was pretty much takes away the idea of a drug coma.

It has to be teleportation of some type, just like the orchid film.

But it does not look like it is vey easy trip.
ok...I know everyone has said no time travel...but this looks like time travel...he didnt know the date...and it gave the feel as if he went forward in time, or at least thats how it felt to me...so, this begs the question also...was it a flashback or flashforward...its obvious its 2005, in the future...BUT...did he teleport into 2005 from 2004 making a flashback...I hope this is making sense...lol...

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2008, 09:33:25 PM »
It was time travel, but he didn't leave at the point when he went into his closet.

I think the timing was intentional, as otherwise it was a bit of a coincidence to arrive just before Nadia's funeral.

I think the date he jumped from was at least a month after Alex's death: long enough for his facial injuries to heal.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2008, 10:00:51 PM »
OK, gotcha, that makes better sense!