Author Topic: Theory on Jacob *SPOILERS 'CAUSE I THINK I'M ACTUALLY RIGHT!*  (Read 12171 times)

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Theory on Jacob *SPOILERS 'CAUSE I THINK I'M ACTUALLY RIGHT!*
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2008, 11:49:31 AM »
i agree with you curt, but i want to add that even our Christian God can get angry.  He is not a passive God. 

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2008, 11:58:59 AM »
I have several ideas on this (as does everyone else I'm sure). Here's a few:

1. Ever see forbidden planet? Jacob is the Island, but he is not always "awake". When he sleeps, smokie is his subconscious.

2. There once was an advanced civilization on the island. A spacecraft crashed and they imprisoned the alien presence on the island. Some cataclysm caused their civilization to be destroyed. Smokie is the security system left behind with the few indigenous peoples on the island.... leaving Jacob still trapped.

3. Following 2 above. Jacob was the leader of the island civilization (not an alien) and had special powers (like Walt only more well-developed). The island is actually a nexus where several time-lines intersect. A cataclysm caused the destruction of their civilization, but their souls were trapped (hence the voices). Jacob is still able to manifest himself physically on occasion. His greatest asses is the ability to read the minds of those living humans on the island (some of them are indigenous inhabitants who survived the cataclysm) and to project into those minds in order to communicate in terms they can understand (which explains why he uses images of Yemi, Christian, etc.). Smokie is the island's security system which was not destroyed by the cataclysm. Dharma did not make smokie, simply discovered it when they discovered the island and then built the sonic fence to protect themselves.

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2008, 12:08:40 PM »
Taking your third point, Maybe jacob is able to 'project' himself anywhere on the Island in any form (Yemi, Christian, Horse etc) whereas Walt is only able to project himself as Walt.
Maybe Walt hasn't yet got the power to appear as someone else yet?

This is probably why the Others think Walt is special amongst other reasons.

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2008, 12:42:15 PM »
i agree with you curt, but i want to add that even our Christian God can get angry.  He is not a passive God. 

well there you have it, I just flaunted my ignorance in front of god and everyone!

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2008, 12:43:35 PM »
Taking your third point, Maybe jacob is able to 'project' himself anywhere on the Island in any form (Yemi, Christian, Horse etc) whereas Walt is only able to project himself as Walt.
Maybe Walt hasn't yet got the power to appear as someone else yet?

This is probably why the Others think Walt is special amongst other reasons.

But special in a scary in a get-him-off-the-island way!

Offline dragonflyk

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2008, 01:00:40 PM »

1. Ever see forbidden planet? Jacob is the Island, but he is not always "awake". When he sleeps, smokie is his subconscious.

2. There once was an advanced civilization on the island. A spacecraft crashed and they imprisoned the alien presence on the island. Some cataclysm caused their civilization to be destroyed. Smokie is the security system left behind with the few indigenous peoples on the island.... leaving Jacob still trapped.

3. Following 2 above. Jacob was the leader of the island civilization (not an alien) and had special powers (like Walt only more well-developed). The island is actually a nexus where several time-lines intersect. A cataclysm caused the destruction of their civilization, but their souls were trapped (hence the voices). Jacob is still able to manifest himself physically on occasion. His greatest asses is the ability to read the minds of those living humans on the island (some of them are indigenous inhabitants who survived the cataclysm) and to project into those minds in order to communicate in terms they can understand (which explains why he uses images of Yemi, Christian, etc.). Smokie is the island's security system which was not destroyed by the cataclysm. Dharma did not make smokie, simply discovered it when they discovered the island and then built the sonic fence to protect themselves.

But where do the "original others" fit in to this? Were they part of the advanced civilization as well, or were they something else?

(hello to all, by the way)

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2008, 01:03:22 PM »

well there you have it, I just flaunted my ignorance in front of god and everyone!
but it further supports your statement.

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2008, 01:14:41 PM »

But where do the "original others" fit in to this? Were they part of the advanced civilization as well, or were they something else?

(hello to all, by the way)

I've been operating under the assumption that the original others (Richard, et al.) are the remnants of the original island occupants... possibly the same folks that built the temple, four-toed statue, etc.

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2008, 01:50:37 PM »
I've been operating under the assumption that the original others (Richard, et al.) are the remnants of the original island occupants... possibly the same folks that built the temple, four-toed statue, etc.

I agree with that - only questionable thing is that Richard spoke English to Ben, very good English at that - so somewhere along the line I think the original Others (temple building types) may have been civilized.
Also add to the mix any survivors of the Black Rock.

Maybe the original Others where schooled by Dharma back in the day, they could have mingled with the scientists but at the same time stayed living out in the jungle keeping their distance untill some of them (Richard included) decided to go along with Bens purge of the Dharma lot - I still think there are original Others living on the Island who didnt go along with the kull, maybe living underground and this could be where the 'whispers' and maybe even the Smoke originate from.

Offline Alvarandthechipmunks

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2008, 12:16:39 PM »
Not to burst the bubbles of those who like to hang on to the spritual/apparition theory, but I feel either some or all of the Jacob/Smokey/Walt/Yemi/Boone/Christian deal is going to be revealed as technical. Something is different on the Island than in the rest of the world, we all know that. I just have this feeling that it is how the "Big Shots" interact with the isolated bubble the island is - like a transmission, or hologram, but not quite. I could give examples of Easter Egg hints that have been dropped throughout the whole LOST experience to try to prove my point, but I don't have time, I'm on my lunch break at work. Hmmm.....maybe I could use a portable time bubble.....

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2008, 12:48:40 PM »
Not to burst the bubbles of those who like to hang on to the spritual/apparition theory, but I feel either some or all of the Jacob/Smokey/Walt/Yemi/Boone/Christian deal is going to be revealed as technical. Something is different on the Island than in the rest of the world, we all know that. I just have this feeling that it is how the "Big Shots" interact with the isolated bubble the island is - like a transmission, or hologram, but not quite. I could give examples of Easter Egg hints that have been dropped throughout the whole LOST experience to try to prove my point, but I don't have time, I'm on my lunch break at work. Hmmm.....maybe I could use a portable time bubble.....

I don't mind this - and I'm a big proponent of the spiritual/apparition theory.  To me it's more about the effect on people - and that is spiritual/moral.  The visions may be scientifically based, but their effect is more than that.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2008, 05:33:25 PM »
I've always thought we'd get a science fictiony explanation as opposed to anything spiritual or supernatural, but I have to admit that the apparent reality of ghosts off the island has shaken that theory. I s'pose there could be some sf explanation for ghosts, but....

Offline Sawyers_Gotta_Gun

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2008, 03:08:47 PM »
I agree there is a coincidence between smokey and jacob but youre evidence isnt good enough, the answer to smokey will be revealed in the last season and jacob this season

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2009, 01:32:28 PM »
Funny now that we have seen Jacob most believe he has a "God" like status and we have MN2 and we have smokey!

So did anyone really get this right?