Author Topic: Question from penguinwalk  (Read 2519 times)

Offline penguinwalk

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Question from penguinwalk
« on: October 21, 2005, 09:51:28 AM »
On two different occations,Desmond tells Jack,"see ya in the next life",or something to that effect. What is he referring too?

Offline sledgeweb

• HIM
  • In the Loop
    • View Profile
RE:
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 10:57:28 AM »
It's just an expression people say when they are parting, and don't anticipate seeing each other any time soon. There's actually an internet acronym for this phrase, CUIAL (See You In Another Life). The phrase also appears in a Lenny Kravitz song ("Another Life"). The phrase is used in the 2001 movie, Vanilla Sky. The basic gist of the phrase is something like, "odds are, I won't see you again in this life. But, perhaps I'll see you in another life". That is, perhaps I'll see you in Heaven, or some other form of life after this.

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Question from penguinwalk
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 01:23:46 PM »
Just wanted to add that since this question was first asked and answered (Oct '05), this phrase appears to have taken on new significance to the story, and is repeated by many characters.

In "Solitary," Nadia writes a similar phrase on the back of Sayid's photo, "You'll find me in the next life if not in this one."

In "Dave," Dave tells Hurley, "See you in another life" shortly before jumping off a cliff.