Author Topic: "The Island won't let you"  (Read 14659 times)

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
"The Island won't let you"
« on: March 21, 2008, 10:07:26 PM »
As I suspected, The Island (personified) can alter events/possibilities/outcomes and has a will.

That, or Tom switched the gun/bullets.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: "The Island won't let you"
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 10:13:17 PM »
Gotta go with the latter.  ;)

If the Island can reach half way round the world and make bullets bounce off skulls, you gotta figure it doesn't need protection from one little freighter.

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 10:19:16 PM »
I agree with you Creflo.  The island has more power than we think, and it CAN reach off the island.  But it doesn't have total power.  It has its limits.

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 10:20:58 PM »
It has its limits.
It must if it is concerned with the freighter.

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 10:24:47 PM »
Well, in my opinion "it" isn't concerned with the freighter.  Ben is concerned with the freighter.  I think Ben has the island/jacob hostage and has figured out how to tap into its power.  Just a thought though.

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 10:27:27 PM »
Well, in my opinion "it" isn't concerned with the freighter.  Ben is concerned with the freighter.  I think Ben has the island/jacob hostage and has figured out how to tap into its power.  Just a thought though.
Certainly a possibility.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 10:33:44 PM »
If Ben is tapping into the Island's "power" and if that power includes manipulating matter against physical laws at great distance, then why would Ben fear the freighter? Or anything else for that matter?

Sorry, I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but if the Powers are really going to give the Island this kind of ability then I don't see how it can help but open up huge plot holes in just about everything we've seen so far.

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 10:37:58 PM »
If Ben is tapping into the Island's "power" and if that power includes manipulating matter against physical laws at great distance, then why would Ben fear the freighter? Or anything else for that matter?

Sorry, I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but if the Powers are really going to give the Island this kind of ability then I don't see how it can help but open up huge plot holes in just about everything we've seen so far.
I don't know if the freighter poses a threat to the ISLAND so much as it poses a threat to BEN. I think that the "island under fire" thing that Ben has going is a smokescreen to save himself. I don't think that Ben is "tapping into the island's power".

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 03:49:45 AM »
The Island NOT letting Mike kill himself (denghit) is as much the activity of the Island as Charlie's appearance to Hurley, IMO.

Offline norville

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 04:06:14 AM »
The island is not concerned with petty details about manipulating matter against matter.  The island is concerned with life and death: who lives, how they live, who dies, and (maybe) who kills them.  Like AstroJones and Gutterball94, I think it's just Ben who cares about the freighter. The island operates by its own rules, Ben just manipulates them the way he manipulates people. Ben also knows that someone else with sufficient resources, motivation, and the favor of the Island could stage a coup to gain control/manipulation of the island's power the same way he did when he catapulted himself into the leadership of the Hostiles by killing his father & the facilitating the Purge.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 08:55:38 AM »
Interesting thoughts and as noted the island is not fearful of the freighter.  Well (sorry not being fresh) but the island is dealing with the intruders.  They are either making them time travel, Mankowski, or his friend went a bit nutty.  Either way the island as Danielle, may she rest in peace, said in S1 Exodus part 1, when asked what the invisible "force" was and she said it was the island security system and it was doing it's job like any other security system.

Perhaps the island can only "effect" people who have been on the island.  Like Michael, or perhaps it wants Michael back for taking the lives of innocent people.  It provides a living hell....perhaps Regina had something in her past that haunted her.  Speculation all the way here with Regina, but we know that she, Mankowski and Brandon could kill themselves as they didn't step foot on the island.

I guess in the end we will find out some more.

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 06:58:13 PM »
O.k. there's a lot here to get straight in my head.
Some people are thinking that Ben has these "powers", but "powers" he only uses when?
Eerrr......
So I am to think that Ben is like Superman, and can only use his "powers" when off the island?

Now the island having some kind of "powers" is what leads me this way due to the statement by Hurley, "It wants' US back." That statement could get me to beleive that everything on the island has been caused by the island. Even Des not pushing the button.

If there was no Ben and Widmore it would be utopia.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 08:48:21 PM »
It's a total mind discombobulation...because if you start to think of it like that, then when Tom was shot...was the island just finished with him?

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 09:32:32 PM »
O.k. there's a lot here to get straight in my head.
Some people are thinking that Ben has these "powers", but "powers" he only uses when?
Eerrr......
So I am to think that Ben is like Superman, and can only use his "powers" when off the island?

Now the island having some kind of "powers" is what leads me this way due to the statement by Hurley, "It wants' US back." That statement could get me to believe that everything on the island has been caused by the island. Even Des not pushing the button.

If there was no Ben and Widmore it would be utopia.

Yes and now you opened up a can of Lima Beans, because greed is always destroying Utopia.  So you just hit a nail on the head.  Ben was living in Utopia, but he didn't like the way they were running it and he was also pulled in from the island's "natives" Richard Alpert to destroy the Dharma's because they didn't get along with the island's "others".

I don't believe Ben has "superhuman" powers and but he has knowledge of what can be used/influenced by others. No pun intended but he may be all "smoke" and snake oil!  "ignore the man behind the curtain"  Like the wizard in OZ, he had not real powers, but he had knowledge and was able to "influence" the inhabitants of the Emerald City.

But as usual I digress, the point here is the island has a far reaching ability or at least the island wants us to believe it.

As for Tom well, it was Ben who used him for his bidding, Tom I believe understood what the island could do.

Offline fieldy32

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 01:09:37 PM »
It's a total mind discombobulation...because if you start to think of it like that, then when Tom was shot...was the island just finished with him?
Tom was on island when he was shot wasn't he? Plus, he didn't shoot himself. I think the whole "island won't let you" was pertaining to killing yourself OFF-island.  I'm sure Michael could've died off-island if someone decided to murder him with out Michael telling them to, because if he told somebody to kill him, that'd be a form of suicide.  Now, this also has me wondering if it's possible to kill yourself ON the island... wait, didn't the guy that was with Kelvin in the hatch before Desmond got there kill himself?  If he did, then this is nothing, but if he didn't... maybe that's why Desmond didn't die when he turned that failsafe key... he was essentially commiting suicide and the island didn't let him.