Author Topic: A Beautiful Episode  (Read 7155 times)

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
A Beautiful Episode
« on: March 15, 2008, 02:12:11 PM »
Sorry, I'm starting this thread because I'm not interested in investigating this episode yet.  I only want to utter praise and amazement for one of the most emotionally beautiful episodes of television I have ever watched.  I'm probably jumping the gun because there isn't a poll yet that I see.  But Ji Yeon has a 10 from me.

Here are all the reasons I loved it.  I mean in my soul loved it.

1)  The fly in daytime and nightime shots of the freighter.  Those are cinematic movie shots.  I don't watch tv because I don't get enough of that kind of filming.  Lost brings it. 

2)  The production value of every single shot.  I'm sorry but I don't watch a scene and see a puzzle - I watch a scene and see a work of art.  They don't miss a beat.  They showed us perfectly executed interiors and exteriors of Seoul, the island, the freighter, a store, and a house.  In one episode. 

3)  Special kudos to the graveside scene.  Yet another Lost tree appears.  And we had Giacchino's perfect music and his "weeping" theme.  It worked.  I wept.

4)  Yunjin Kim.  Almost inarguably the finest working actor on the show next to Emerson and O'Quinn.  Her face is a diamond of nuance and expression.  I believe every word she says: her determination to save her baby, her distrust of Juliet, her horror at being revealed as an adulteress, her relief at reconciliation with Jin, her distress in labor and delivery, her elegant grief at Jin's tombstone. 

5)  Daniel Dae Kim.  They've got him doing comedy as well as Hurley, past moral flimsiness (as Doc Jensen so well called it), and present moral fortitude -- and he's ace-ing it.

6) The flashback/flashforward combo.  Brilliant.  You know what I love about it?  The person themself is the important thing.  Does it matter when Jin dies?  No.  But his death colors everything for all of us from now on.  Just like the death of our own loved ones should color our responses and expectations of them.  In other words, forgive, love, connect, enjoy - because death is impending.  On Lost we don't have to listen to silly platitudes about "When I think about you dying, I realize how much you mean." The SHOW us this concept.

7) The return of Michael.  People have benn complaining that we KNEW he was coming.  That shouldn't be a big deal to us.  We never know anything that is going to happen on this show.  It was okay to know that.  Harold Perrineau can't be blamed for WAAAAAAAAAAALLLT!  That was an iconic moment for the show.  He is an excellent actor.  Was he drugged?  Was he pleading "Don't reveal me?"  Did he know Sayid or Desmond?  Does he know he was ever called Michael Dawson?  Perrineau had less than two minutes of screen time to establish those questions AND HE NAILED IT.

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: A Beautiful Episode
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 04:47:36 PM »
You know, I admit I didn't view this episode with the eye that you did but now I wish I had.  Your post gave me chills.  Thank you and well done.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 04:52:02 PM »
Thank you.  I want this show ever week to hit the ball out of the park in production, direction, writing and acting.  This episode was nearly perfect.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 05:00:04 PM »
Twas a beautiful post, Lakkie!

Offline Gar O Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 05:06:28 PM »
Wonderful, this is how one really has to look at LOST as art.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 05:12:17 PM »
It's my preference.  They get better and better.  I mean it.  Most tv shows show how they're progressing in the production level by making everything glitzier and glamourier  ::).  But since they've pinned themselves to the wall with having to jump all over time and time periods for numerous charactes, they can't do the usual tv things.  So instead, the art element is rising.  It started out at the top with the airplane on the beach.  But now they have to move all over the island in a given episode.  The freighter is frieking brilliant.  IT'S A TV SHOW SET!  It looks like a documentary.

And the acting...dear heaven.  They have set the bar so high FOR EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER.  Is there another show that can keep up with it?  The other two I've watched 24 and Heroes says no.  I'd seriously love to know what other shows have that quality of acting for main and supporting characters...

Offline Gar O Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »
None that I know of.

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 05:41:29 PM »
I totally agree, thank you for your post! I wept at the graveside scene...my husband (not a lostie) thought I was losing it  ;)

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 07:19:54 PM »
I totally agree, thank you for your post! I wept at the graveside scene...my husband (not a lostie) thought I was losing it  ;)

I'm so glad to hear this.  I'm not a big crier (except for the end of Matrix in which I bawled like a baby).  I was so genuinely moved by every aspect of the scene. Sun's poise and dignity was heart-wrenching.  I did not read it as though she is aware he's alive in some other aspect.  Only grief looks like that.

Offline General Zod

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 07:52:02 PM »
Great post!  It's great that you could break it down like that.  I plan on watching it again with a different view.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 07:56:13 PM »
Nice job, you should of made that an article.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 09:15:56 PM »
YOU are a brilliant writer.  You should be getting paid for your eloquence.
That was an out of the park gland slam Peaches!

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 10:34:17 PM »
6) The flashback/flashforward combo.  Brilliant.  You know what I love about it?  The person themself is the important thing.  Does it matter when Jin dies?  No.  But his death colors everything for all of us from now on.  Just like the death of our own loved ones should color our responses and expectations of them.  In other words, forgive, love, connect, enjoy - because death is impending.  On Lost we don't have to listen to silly platitudes about "When I think about you dying, I realize how much you mean." The SHOW us this concept.

I agree with this completely. I've read some people saying they hated the FF/FB in the same episode, but I LOVED it. Brilliant way of telling us Jin will not survive (or at least will not make it off the island). I love "big reveals" and especially love it when the writers do so by leading us in one direction when in reality we're heading in the exact opposite direction...only we won't know it until we reach our destination. It wasn't "cheap" or "mean" to do it the way they did it...it was good plot structure for an hour-long tv show. Little by little we're learning about what happens to these characters, who makes it off the island, who stays behind, who lives, who dies. And they're showing us these issues in some clever ways.

Offline jumbotron

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 11:59:50 PM »
Thank you Laklost for a beautiful post.  I agree 100%!  I loved this episode on both a mythalogical level and an emotional level.  I've given up on the whole Jack, Kate Sawyer triangle, I never bought the Claire Charlie thing and I thought the Ben Juliette thing was just plain stupid.  Sun and Jin is a classic love story, much like Des and Penny.

Over the last 7 episodes  I've started paying attention to who writes each episode and Kitsis and Horowitz have shown that they are excellent comedic and romantic writers.  Just think, If Darlton and Kitsowitz were the only writers on Lost, we would never have to watch another Stranger in a Strange Land or Eggtown ever again!

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 12:18:43 AM »
Nice job, you should of made that an article.
YOU are a brilliant writer.  You should be getting paid for your eloquence.
That was an out of the park gland slam Peaches!
Great post!  It's great that you could break it down like that.  I plan on watching it again with a different view.
I agree, I agree!!  (((LORIE))) Thank you for reminding me why we love the show!  Your writing is magical as always!