Author Topic: Why is the black box on the boat?  (Read 8466 times)

Offline sillysab

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Why is the black box on the boat?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2008, 07:18:38 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Captain said it was from the Sunda Trench. But even if it's the real one and Widmore somehow acquired it. Why would he send it along on the boat?

I was under the impression that the Captain had just  recently acquired it from the salvage vessel and had not yet given it to Widmore.

Bingo.  It "belongs" to Widmore because the salvage operation is his, but it's on this freighter because it was in conjunction with the salvage operation.  So is the implication right now Ben = cover-up crash, Widmore = salvage?
Can someone tell me whether or not we know that Widmore owns Oceanic???

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2008, 10:11:53 PM »
If Widmore has the resources to stage a plane crash in an oceanic trench 5 miles deep, he has the resources to fabricate multiple copies of a flight data recorder that bolster whatever coverup story he's chosen.  No reason that the recorder the capt'n shows Sayid/Des is the 'original fake' recorder.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2008, 10:14:37 PM »
I put a masking tape X on my window.

We'll have answers soon.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2008, 07:01:54 PM »
why is the black box being on the boat make for a problem

follow me here

salvage mission - this is out at sea
frieghter          - this is out at sea

salvage mission obtains blackbox, frieghter gets blackbox from salvage mission, frieghter has yet to get back to widmore, thus black box is on freighter

call me crazy but i'm going to assume that the freighter was to retrieve said box from salvage mission and return it to widmore

keep in mind, that the freighter was probably out to sea while/or before the salvage mission started, so why not cruise over to the sundra trench and get it

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2008, 07:16:31 PM »

follow me here

salvage mission obtains blackbox, frieghter gets blackbox from salvage mission, frieghter has yet to get back to widmore, thus black box is on freighter

call me crazy but i'm going to assume that the freighter was to retrieve said box from salvage mission and return it to widmore

keep in mind, that the freighter was probably out to sea while/or before the salvage mission started, so why not cruise over to the sundra trench and get it

Clearly you do not live where "Logic and Proportion have fallen sloppy dead..." ;)
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2008, 07:42:35 PM »
Possible, I guess, but consider... The black box was found in the Sunda Trench. The freighter is thousands of miles from there. Widmore expends a considerable amount of his resources then leaves the fruits floating around in the South Pacific?

OK, like Lou said, I'm probably making too much of this. Showing the box was probably just for dramatic effect. But it just doesn't sit well.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2008, 03:00:20 PM »

follow me here

Clearly you do not live where "Logic and Proportion have fallen sloppy dead..." ;)

LOL

Offline hackgrid

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2008, 06:08:25 PM »
Is anyone else bothered by the fake 815's black box being on the boat?

If the captain is to be believed then it cost Widmore a pretty penny to acquire. Why would he then turn it over to the Boaties and risk losing it? What possible use is it to them?

He traded his daugther for the box?  :o

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2008, 06:28:12 PM »
See! All the more reason not to turn it over.  ;D

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2008, 06:57:41 PM »

follow me here

I'm with you, CBW.  I've never been on a freighter, but how many miles can we assume this one has covered?  We should not assume that it hasn't been to the salvage sight.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2008, 07:43:17 PM »
Well, again possible, but I make it about 4000 miles from one to the other. So it's like we see a guy in a pickup truck dig up a very valuable four toed statue in, oh I don't know Portland, and we next see the statue in, let's say Tallahassee. And then we explain it by saying, well, heck it all happened within the continental US, so no mystery there. They probably both just stopped for coffee in a diner in Iowa.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2008, 02:28:14 PM »
Well, again possible, but I make it about 4000 miles from one to the other.

its actually less then 2000 miles, but what do i know?

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
Well, 2K is enough to make my point, so I won't quibble.

I was measuring Bali to Fiji, btw.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2008, 02:59:48 PM »
Well, 2K is enough to make my point, so I won't quibble.

I was measuring Bali to Fiji, btw.

have you ever been on a ship?? its not much ground to cover, (this is soley based on my experience on a LHD-3, the USS Kearsarge)

we made it from the coast of north carolina to the eastern coast of africa in 4days

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2008, 03:09:02 PM »
Yup, I've been at sea.

It's not the distance by itself that's the problem. The two pickup trucks could make it to Iowa and back in a few days too.

The point is, if I'm Widmore, and I've just expended considerable resources to obtain this black box, then I want experts scrutinizing it. The last thing I want is to leave it wandering about over thousands of miles in the South Pacific.