Author Topic: Why is the black box on the boat?  (Read 8574 times)

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Why is the black box on the boat?
« on: March 15, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »
Is anyone else bothered by the fake 815's black box being on the boat?

If the captain is to be believed then it cost Widmore a pretty penny to acquire. Why would he then turn it over to the Boaties and risk losing it? What possible use is it to them?

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Why is the black box on the boat?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 12:11:30 PM »
Why do you say it is the fake 815's black box? I guess I assumed it was the real one.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 01:05:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Captain said it was from the Sunda Trench. But even if it's the real one and Widmore somehow acquired it. Why would he send it along on the boat?

Offline Fallybear

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 01:58:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Captain said it was from the Sunda Trench. But even if it's the real one and Widmore somehow acquired it. Why would he send it along on the boat?

I was under the impression that the Captain had just  recently acquired it from the salvage vessel and had not yet given it to Widmore.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 02:19:06 PM »

I was under the impression that the Captain had just  recently acquired it from the salvage vessel and had not yet given it to Widmore.

Bingo.  It "belongs" to Widmore because the salvage operation is his, but it's on this freighter because it was in conjunction with the salvage operation.  So is the implication right now Ben = cover-up crash, Widmore = salvage?

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 02:42:39 PM »
So did Ben and his minions some how find / make a fake plane, and then maneuver it into the trench with their Sub?

Have this funny image in my mind of the Sub nudging this hulking plane deep in the ocean, Ben yelling at the driver "NO NO I said a little more to the left!!!, My Left you idiot!! You wanna good gassin' don't Ya? No? Well then....just, just get up and let me do it!!!! Cheese and Crackers, you want something done right...."
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 03:05:59 PM »
So did Ben and his minions some how find / make a fake plane, and then maneuver it into the trench with their Sub?

Have this funny image in my mind of the Sub nudging this hulking plane deep in the ocean, Ben yelling at the driver "NO NO I said a little more to the left!!!, My Left you idiot!! You wanna good gassin' don't Ya? No? Well then....just, just get up and let me do it!!!! Cheese and Crackers, you want something done right...."

Lost: The Parody  :D

Offline TheGoodPeople

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 03:07:53 PM »
DONT TRUST THE CAPTAIN

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 03:23:16 PM »
DONT TRUST THE CAPTAIN

Trust Michael, he only killed two people and delivered his friends to the others.

Offline TheGoodPeople

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 03:24:32 PM »
they're both sketchy if you ask me.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 05:04:54 PM »
I just rewatched this section. The Captain says that the box was recovered next to the wreckage and the 324 bodies. It came from the fake crash site.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 05:14:43 PM »
I just rewatched this section. The Captain says that the box was recovered next to the wreckage and the 324 bodies. It came from the fake crash site.

So we should assume that this freighter was involved with the salvage vessel.  Both owned by Widmore, right?

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 05:59:37 PM »
We're definitely supposed to think Widmore is behind the freighter. And we do have quite a bit of evidence to that effect. It's just that if Ben says it, I tend automatically not to believe it.

Not sure about the salvage vessel. Do we know Widmore was behind that? If so, then he would have had easy access to the black box, right? Unless the Captain was referring to the cost of the salvage operation itself.

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »
But, I thought the captain said Widmore went through a lot to get the black box...and that it was from the "fake" plane salvage. Why would the captain have it on the boat?

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 09:27:10 PM »
I'm so glad you started this thread.  I couldn't figure out why he had it on the ship either.

For a prop, it's a great rendition as one of the 2 "black boxes" found on aircraft (I used to investigate crashes).

1 box will be a Digital Flight Data Recorder (DFDR).  This box reads instruments and changes in the aspects of flight (engines, hydraulics, etc.)
The other box is the Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR).  When the flight crew uses their interphone systems (headsets) it will record at certain intervalls.

You can't just plug these boxes into a laptop and get a fancy report that will absolutely tell you why an acft goes down.  The reports will be fancy and the recordings will be audible, but it takes special equipment to read them.  I wouldn't think they'd be on the freighter.

(TX correct me if I'm wrong...cuz I only worked heavies)