Poll

Do you believe that, at the time Sun gives birth Jin is truly dead?

Claimed to be dead but on the island
35 (41.2%)
Really dead
38 (44.7%)
Assumed dead by Sun but not really dead
12 (14.1%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Author Topic: Poll: Is Jin dead?  (Read 18370 times)

Offline kfunk01

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: Is Jin dead?
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2008, 01:27:24 PM »
From what I saw I think Jin is dead no matter how much speculation there is that he is still alive.  I think he is dead and died on the island. We know the scene with the panda was a flashback - Jin said he was married for only 2 years - And when you watch the scene at the end you see that she is at his grave site - Why would she go to his grave with the baby and cry like that their - It leads to me thinking he is obviously gone - More question arise for me as to why Hurley is there what drove him to get on another plane.  And was this before or after he went nuts at the big house.... ?? Anyone?

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2008, 03:08:34 PM »
We have seen a faked death on lost before, but I don't know if that means we should find it easy to believe they would do that again OR if it would be too soap opera-ish. :-\ 

Offline redcrow1973

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2008, 03:27:34 PM »
I'm with the "Jin is really dead" crowd.  I can't believe Sun and Hugo would make such a ceremony out of it just to "keep appearances".  The grave marker would suffice for that.  Jin's totally a goner.

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2008, 04:05:23 PM »
More question arise for me as to why Hurley is there what drove him to get on another plane.  And was this before or after he went nuts at the big house.... ?? Anyone?
Definitely before he lost it... he made no mention to Sun of wanting to go back to the island... or about the island at all.  He was pretty together in the scene.  When he was in the psych ward, he was all about the island and his belief that they shouldn't have left.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2008, 06:15:55 PM »
I agree with Shakey!

Offline surfmadpig

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2008, 08:06:12 PM »
I'm with the "Jin is really dead" crowd.  I can't believe Sun and Hugo would make such a ceremony out of it just to "keep appearances".  The grave marker would suffice for that.  Jin's totally a goner.

I don't believe they'd do it for appearances either. But they never SAID he died, Sun said she misses him, and is desperate. And a fake monument to your husband is as good a place to go to to mourn that he's not with you any more as any other. She went there because she has no means of contacting him (he's still on the island) and ... you know, really misses him.

Then there's the possibility that Sun believes Jin is dead, but he isn't (but can't contact her to tell her so).

Offline therealsawyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2008, 10:39:27 PM »
From what I saw I think Jin is dead no matter how much speculation there is that he is still alive.  I think he is dead and died on the island. We know the scene with the panda was a flashback - Jin said he was married for only 2 years - And when you watch the scene at the end you see that she is at his grave site - Why would she go to his grave with the baby and cry like that their - It leads to me thinking he is obviously gone - More question arise for me as to why Hurley is there what drove him to get on another plane.  And was this before or after he went nuts at the big house.... ?? Anyone?

In the flashback Jin said he had only been married for two months. 

At first I was upset at the flashback - I thought it was pointless other than as a plot device and I was on to it pretty early, when Jin lost his temper (If you don't blow up when you find out your wife was cheating on you, I wouldn't think you'd lose it over a lost stuffed Panda) - but I think there had to be a deeper meaning i.e. he was doing something similar to what he had been forced to do for Jin's hand.

As for the headstone - I believe that the Oceanic 6 have done nothing but lie since returning.  Sayid lied to his girl, Jack to everyone, Kate about Aaron, Hurley lied to Big Mike.  I think this is the theme of Season 4.  Lies and the consequences that go along with them.  This season everyone is lying to everyone else.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2008, 03:52:07 PM »

I don't believe they'd do it for appearances either. But they never SAID he died, Sun said she misses him, and is desperate. And a fake monument to your husband is as good a place to go to to mourn that he's not with you any more as any other. She went there because she has no means of contacting him (he's still on the island) and ... you know, really misses him.

Then there's the possibility that Sun believes Jin is dead, but he isn't (but can't contact her to tell her so).

The fake monument concept is so totally repugnant to me that I can't wrap my head around it.  Who allows a marker to be put up for a loved one WHEN THEY ARE STILL ALIVE!  I'm sorry, but if Hurley and Sun knew Jin was still alive I believe that the writers would have had them have a conversation about how difficult it is to keep lying about what happened - and make it more parallel with Jack and Kate's conversation.  Why go to a tombstone that's been falsely constructed?  I have never heard of such an idea.  What woman or mother would tolerate such a thing?

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2008, 03:58:48 PM »

The fake monument concept is so totally repugnant to me that I can't wrap my head around it.  Who allows a marker to be put up for a loved one WHEN THEY ARE STILL ALIVE!  I'm sorry, but if Hurley and Sun knew Jin was still alive I believe that the writers would have had them have a conversation about how difficult it is to keep lying about what happened - and make it more parallel with Jack and Kate's conversation.  Why go to a tombstone that's been falsely constructed?  I have never heard of such an idea.  What woman or mother would tolerate such a thing?

although i agree with you, to answer this question "What woman or mother would tolerate such a thing?"

a woman who was told that is she doesnt tolerate it, and doesnt keep her mouth shut, that her and her baby will DIE lol

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2008, 04:01:14 PM »

although i agree with you, to answer this question "What woman or mother would tolerate such a thing?"

a woman who was told that is she doesnt tolerate it, and doesnt keep her mouth shut, that her and her baby will DIE lol

Point taken.  So have a conversation with Hurley about how difficult the lie is.  Don't go to an unfilled grave and talk as though the person is there.  Totally phoney to me.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2008, 04:03:42 PM »

Point taken.  So have a conversation with Hurley about how difficult the lie is.  Don't go to an unfilled grave and talk as though the person is there.  Totally phoney to me.

ditto, i now have a moot point above lol

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2008, 04:06:21 PM »
Don't let me moot you!  It's just that if Jin isn't dead, that graveside scene was the most manipulative piece of tv shat I've ever seen.  Nothing in me said that was true when I was watching it.  Instead, that gorgeous scene was a genuinely moving elegy to Jin.

Time to cry, people.  He's dead.

Offline relient k

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2008, 04:37:41 PM »
We know Jin wasn't on the island, so that rules out number 1.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2008, 04:40:19 PM »
We know Jin wasn't on the island, so that rules out number 1.

can you elaborate?? how do we know that?

Offline relient k

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2008, 04:42:16 PM »
Because, we saw him running all over the place looking for a stupid panda, obviously off the island.