Poll

Do you believe that, at the time Sun gives birth Jin is truly dead?

Claimed to be dead but on the island
35 (41.2%)
Really dead
38 (44.7%)
Assumed dead by Sun but not really dead
12 (14.1%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Author Topic: Poll: Is Jin dead?  (Read 18470 times)

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: Is Jin dead?
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2008, 09:56:48 PM »
You're probably right!

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2008, 10:54:40 PM »
The fact that Hurley shares the belief that Jin is dead undermines the theory that Sun suffered some memory loss due to the pregnancy, treatment for the pregnancy, etc.  That increases the likelihood that Jin is truly dead.

Another question: why didn't any of the other Oceanic 6 join in at the graveside?  In the flashforward timeline, this is the period after the rescue, but before Hurley & Jack lose their marbles.  Must be less than 9 months, if Sun had just given birth.  Obviously Kate was forbidden by the terms of her probation (assuming the wheels of justice had moved quickly).  Sayid was likely busy whacking those on Ben's new list.  Aaron (yes, he's an Oceanic 6) is a tad young to fly without 'Mommy'. That leaves Jack, who still had it together at this point.  Was he too busy playing big shot surgeon at Saint Sebastian to get away for a Lostie reunion?

Offline Sawyers_Gotta_Gun

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2008, 11:36:15 PM »
Maybe Jin faked his death and remarried

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2008, 04:05:26 AM »
The fact that Hurley shares the belief that Jin is dead undermines the theory that Sun suffered some memory loss due to the pregnancy, treatment for the pregnancy, etc. 
What evidence do you have to support your theory that Hurley shares her belief?  Just because he showed up?  He's giving emotional support to a grieving friend.  That doesn't mean he shares her belief.  It just means he cares about her feelings and is a shoulder to cry on.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2008, 06:37:13 AM »
He sais she looks like Jin.
"I guess we should like go see him."
And the next shot is on the cemetary.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2008, 06:51:19 AM »
I'm not convinced that Kate is passing Aaron off as her biological child, but if she is the rest of the 6 and probably several other folks have to be supporting her story.

I remember her doing a pregnancytest when she was married with the police officer. It was negative, but the timing could be right to give birth on the island.
But than they would know she was pregnant when captured by Mars.
And there is something wrong with Aaron's age.
I think they are hiding Aaron from the world. That's why Kate wouldn't him to be mentioned in the trial and she doesn't want her mother to see him.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2008, 01:08:54 PM »
Hi guys!  I missed the date on the grave, but after seeing that it was the day of the crash...well.... now I know I said Jin was going to die, but since we haven't SEEN that, it could very possibly be that he is alive but had to remain on the island.  Sun could know that, which was why she was calling out his name and all that.  So I voted alive and on the island.  Cover up. 

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2008, 01:45:16 PM »
Welcome back Maggie and LoA! Been a little while, seems like longer!

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2008, 06:34:04 PM »
Here's why I think Jin is really dead:

Sun's poise and dignity was heart-wrenching.  I did not read it as though she is aware he's alive in some other aspect.  Only grief looks like that.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2008, 07:24:42 PM »
I agree the emotional argument is the strongest.

Most Lost viewers wouldn't have noticed the date. So they're with E.S.B. and Lakkie, already grieving. They're gonna feel cheated if Jin survives.

I'm still leaning towards his being alive on the Island, but that may just be 'cause I want him to live!

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2008, 09:23:02 PM »
Of the main characters who have died so far, which of them died without us seeing their deaths?  The only one I can think of is Christian, and there's a bit of debate about that one.  We saw how all the others died.  We didn't see how Jin died.

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2008, 11:24:35 PM »
Well I still hope he survives, and wouldn't feel cheated if he does!  But I think he dies, unfortunately.  As Laklost pointed out in her eloquent post, they were playing the "grieving" music when Sun was at Jin's grave - the same song that was playing when Charlie died.

The wife and I re-watched tonight and she's still adamant that he's alive on the Island.  So there's always hope!  In fact, she claims the last image of Sun's face shows a glimmer of hope in her eyes.  I mean, we have to believe there are some people still alive on the Island, though presumed dead - otherwise, why would Jack want so badly to go back?!

Offline therealsawyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2008, 11:29:27 PM »
Alive.  Off Island.  Working for Ben.  Assassin like Sayid.  Made a deal to keep Sun and Ji safe.  Left the island and fell back into his "old habits" except he serves Ben instaed of Mr. Paik. 

Sayid is an assasin, Hurley is in a mental institute, Jack is trying to save everyone, Kate is lying and Sun is alone.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2008, 05:00:06 AM »
Alive.  Off Island.  Working for Ben.  Assassin like Sayid.  Made a deal to keep Sun and Ji safe.  Left the island and fell back into his "old habits" except he serves Ben instaed of Mr. Paik. 

Sayid is an assasin, Hurley is in a mental institute, Jack is trying to save everyone, Kate is lying and Sun is alone.
Agreed.  Sayid said that he'd never be on the same side as Ben, Jack said he'd never want back on the Island, Kate said that she couldn't be a mom, & Jin said he'd never leave Sun, but this season has taken us through the looking glass.  Everyone seems to be exactly where they weren't "supposed to be."  I think Sun actually believes that Jin is dead for her (& Ji Yeon's) protection.

I've been on the fence about this one for a few days, but hyperform & others have won me over! lol

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2008, 08:36:37 AM »

Agreed.  Sayid said that he'd never be on the same side as Ben, Jack said he'd never want back on the Island, Kate said that she couldn't be a mom, & Jin said he'd never leave Sun, but this season has taken us through the looking glass.  Everyone seems to be exactly where they weren't "supposed to be."  I think Sun actually believes that Jin is dead for her (& Ji Yeon's) protection.

I've been on the fence about this one for a few days, but hyperform & others have won me over! lol
Damn.. I voted that Jin was dead, I've posted that I believe Jin is dead.  Now, I've climbed up onto the fence because of this... damn. ???  It would be exactly what the Lost folks would do.. playing with the whole fate/destiny thing.