Poll

Do you believe that, at the time Sun gives birth Jin is truly dead?

Claimed to be dead but on the island
35 (41.2%)
Really dead
38 (44.7%)
Assumed dead by Sun but not really dead
12 (14.1%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Author Topic: Poll: Is Jin dead?  (Read 20402 times)

Offline Shoeless

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: Is Jin dead?
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2008, 02:48:27 AM »
I chose assumed dead by Sun but not really dead.  I think her memory has been tampered with to protect her and the baby.   Also to protect Jin if he's working for Ben.  I don't know that he is, but it's possible.  Michael and Sayid are working for Ben, so why not Jin as well?
good theory!!!  The doctor told Sun that the drugs they gave her would cause her to have a difficult birth (islands effects or Daddy's hired gun/doc). And in Hurley's ff that guy (can't remember his name) asked if the others (Oceanic 6) were still alive - maybe Hurley ratted Sun off (and Jin is covering for her safety) ... Jin said on the island that "I'll do anything to protect you and the baby."

*still sitting on the fence with this one tho*
:-\

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2008, 04:32:17 AM »
Memory tampering? I think you all just make up things just to fit your beliefs. Have we seen any evidence of memory tampering? I haven't, and Karl was being brainwashed.

But we do know that Christian is alive.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2008, 05:49:49 AM »
Memory tampering? I think you all just make up things just to fit your beliefs. Have we seen any evidence of memory tampering? I haven't, and Karl was being brainwashed.

But we do know that Christian is alive.
If you go to Lostpedia and search "memory" you'll come up with many examples of memory loss among the survivors. 
Claire had amnesia about all post-crash events after Ethan injected her with something at the Staff. 
Sun was treated by a doctor she didn't know and he had her injected with an unspecified "something for the pain" when she had her baby.  Maybe the chemical caused some amnesia.

As for "making things up to fit your beliefs" I like to think of it as speculation and theorizing.  We do a lot of that here.  Nobody knows for sure what is really going on except a few show insiders, and they aren't giving anything away. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 07:42:00 AM by Sweet Old Lady »

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2008, 06:58:27 AM »
If Jin flashes too 1996, he has no constant.
He has not met Sun, doesn't know his mother,
doesn't care about his father.
He will die. It's the Karmathing they were talking about.

Offline Shoeless

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2008, 07:58:32 AM »
... Sun was treated by a doctor she didn't know and he had her injected with an unspecified "something for the pain" when she had her baby.  Maybe the chemical caused some amnesia.

I wondered if Sun had been "treated" for possible side-effects due to pregnancy on island which may have brought on early labor and loss of memory (as well as difficult labor)?
A different angle:  the memory tampering was possibly for "an other's" benefit - Ji Yeon is "special" too?

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2008, 10:12:32 AM »
Shoeless, I wondered the same thing. Juliet once said she thought the problems happened at conception, but now it looks like the problems happen in the second trimester. It may be that as long you're off the island during that period you're OK. Claire came to the Island well after, Sun apparently leaves the Island before.

I s'pose memory manipulation is a possibility but I don't think we have much evidence for it. Claire was drugged the whole time she was kidnapped, so of course she had trouble remembering. Sun was in great distress in the hospital and under medication so she gets disoriented. Could there be more? Sure. Need there be more? Nope. At least not based on what we've seen so far.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2008, 05:05:03 PM »
Shoeless, I wondered the same thing. Juliet once said she thought the problems happened at conception, but now it looks like the problems happen in the second trimester. It may be that as long you're off the island during that period you're OK. Claire came to the Island well after, Sun apparently leaves the Island before.

I s'pose memory manipulation is a possibility but I don't think we have much evidence for it. Claire was drugged the whole time she was kidnapped, so of course she had trouble remembering. Sun was in great distress in the hospital and under medication so she gets disoriented. Could there be more? Sure. Need there be more? Nope. At least not based on what we've seen so far.

Thank you!

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2008, 05:45:37 PM »
I think he is "dead" on the island...but, Sun was so convincing at the graveside! Of course, if she feels like she will never see him again, he may as well be dead, and she would be just as convincing with her wish that she could see him again. I think he stayed behind so she could get off the island.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2008, 07:22:56 PM »
I think he is "dead" on the island...but, Sun was so convincing at the graveside! Of course, if she feels like she will never see him again, he may as well be dead, and she would be just as convincing with her wish that she could see him again. I think he stayed behind so she could get off the island.

I think he dies getting her off the island.

Offline elise

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2008, 03:43:46 PM »
I say alive on the island and I still don't count Aaron as a survivor of the crash.

Jack, Syaid, Kate, Hurley and Sun...  Jin and Claire would be the 2 that survived but died (and of course its a cover as they are still on the island)

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2008, 06:55:58 PM »
I say alive on the island and I still don't count Aaron as a survivor of the crash.

Jack, Syaid, Kate, Hurley and Sun...  Jin and Claire would be the 2 that survived but died (and of course its a cover as they are still on the island)

Not Claire, then they would know Aaron is not Kate's biological child.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2008, 08:34:06 PM »
In the cover story, Jin died the day of the crash as that's the date on his tombstone. So he's not one of the two.

I'm not convinced that Kate is passing Aaron off as her biological child, but if she is the rest of the 6 and probably several other folks have to be supporting her story. So I don't see why Claire couldn't be one of the 2 in this scenario. Am I missing something?

Offline Ralphie

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2008, 09:01:27 PM »
I think Sun BELIEVES Jin is dead, but he really isn't. I think he had to fake a death to be able to come back and not be pursued by Sun's father. He probably would even keep Sun in the dark (for a time) to ensure that people believed he died.

The person who dies (as teased in the promo) has to be Claire.  How else would Kate end up with Aaron? I also believe Jack ends up feeling that he is partly to blame for her death which is why he can't bring himself to see the baby as much as he wants to see Kate in the flashforward.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2008, 09:37:19 PM »
Welcome, Ralphie!

I agree Jack feels guilty about leaving people behind. Certainly that guilt would be exacerbated if Claire dies. And you're not alone in thinking that's how Kate ends up with Aaron.

I don't see any real reason to believe your Jin-Sun conjecture though. It's a cool idea, but is there anything that supports it?

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2008, 09:43:25 PM »
I think Sun BELIEVES Jin is dead, but he really isn't. I think he had to fake a death to be able to come back and not be pursued by Sun's father. He probably would even keep Sun in the dark (for a time) to ensure that people believed he died.

The person who dies (as teased in the promo) has to be Claire.  How else would Kate end up with Aaron? I also believe Jack ends up feeling that he is partly to blame for her death which is why he can't bring himself to see the baby as much as he wants to see Kate in the flashforward.

I know a lot of people think that Jack won't go see Aaron because of guilt over Claire's death, or leaving her behind, but that just doesn't "feel right" to me...there might be some other reason. Some bigger reason. Perhaps!