Author Topic: Ji Yeon - switched at birth?  (Read 4098 times)

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Ji Yeon - switched at birth?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 04:09:22 PM »
Don't you think *someone* might be interested in studying a child whose father died before she was naturally conceived?  (Which is still a possibility, since we don't know Jin's fate and the whole time thing.)
you know, i hadn't thought about this.  how would sun explain this?  since jin died in the crash (supposedly) how would she explain getting pregnant on the island?

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 04:11:26 PM »
Maybe it was justs to heighten the tension of the scene. If her regular doc was there he might say, "now, now, Sun, you know Jin is dead." Instead she's scared, confused, thinks she sees Jin, she's dealing with strangers... She doesn't know whats going on, we don't know whats going on... Everything had to be going wrong for her for dramatic purposes.

Yes, thank you for this, it was driving me crazy why they bothered with a strange doctor.  It is still possible that the babies were switched, but I don't think so.  Most of this episode did nothing to advance the story other than to tell us that Jin is thought to be dead in the future (he still may not be) and Michael is on the boat.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 04:18:32 PM »
Don't you think *someone* might be interested in studying a child whose father died before she was naturally conceived?  (Which is still a possibility, since we don't know Jin's fate and the whole time thing.)
you know, i hadn't thought about this.  how would sun explain this?  since jin died in the crash (supposedly) how would she explain getting pregnant on the island?
Someone brought this up last night.  The conundrum is the DOC is after the date on the grave marker.  Surely someone would question that.  I'm fine with Jin still being alive on the Island or working off the Island as one of Ben's assassins or the story that he may have been one of the 2 that died after the crash, but they haven't left themselves room for these stories now. :-\

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 04:20:21 PM »
Someone brought this up last night.  The conundrum is the DOC is after the date on the grave marker.  Surely someone would question that.  I'm fine with Jin still being alive on the Island or working off the Island as one of Ben's assassins or the story that he may have been one of the 2 that died after the crash, but they haven't left themselves room for these stories now. :-\
i can't remember, was sun's doc immediately (with a few days) of the crash?  or was it later?  if it was soon after the crash she can tell people that she was pg when the crash occured (even if only by a day or 2). 

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 04:31:21 PM »
i can't remember, was sun's doc immediately (with a few days) of the crash?  or was it later?  if it was soon after the crash she can tell people that she was pg when the crash occured (even if only by a day or 2). 

Plus, I was under the impression that the baby came early (she thought there was something wrong, not just contractions) so the DOC could be fudge quite a bit.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 04:33:58 PM »
From the Lostpedia timeline...

Day 35 - Tuesday, October 26, 2004
According to Juliet, Sun becomes pregnant on roughly this date.

Which is interesting seeing as....

Day 33 - Sunday, October 24, 2004
"...In Translation"

Jin is blamed for burning the raft. Sun defends him in English. Jin leaves Sun and moves to the beach camp.

Hmmmmmmm...I need to go watch s1 now to find out when those 2 did the deed. lol

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 04:37:46 PM »

"...In Translation"

Jin is blamed for burning the raft. Sun defends him in English. Jin leaves Sun and moves to the beach camp.

i think that was when they reconcilled on the beach.  thanks for the timeline.  lostpedia is blocked here.  driving me nuts.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 04:38:32 PM »

Plus, I was under the impression that the baby came early (she thought there was something wrong, not just contractions) so the DOC could be fudge quite a bit.
The baby appeared to be a healthy full-term infant.  The baby was showing signs of distress, yet they still allowed her to deliver naturally.  If she had conceived before the crash AND the baby was early, that certainly would not have been the case.

I think the "something is wrong" element was added for the drama.  Weren't we all expecting a little green baby like on "V?" lol

Offline anavrin

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2008, 04:38:54 PM »
The only thing that struck me as odd from the labor & delivery scenes was the Dr. telling the nurse to give her the pain meds.  Usually pain meds are given @ patient request, but I guess it's possible that she had a birth plan outlining her desire for a pain-free delivery.

It was odd to me that he didn't specify a medication and a dose and just said, "something for the pain."  (Or whatever.)  Maybe it's a cultural thing or maybe I've been watching ER for too long.

Offline General Zod

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 04:40:55 PM »
For some reason I was thinking that the baby's father was going to be the other dude Sun slept with because of the "time effect" on the island.  Anyone else have any thoughts?  I have done no research on this...just throwing it out there.  I could be wayyyyyyyyyyyy off.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 04:43:20 PM »

"...In Translation"

i think that was when they reconcilled on the beach.  thanks for the timeline.  lostpedia is blocked here.  driving me nuts.
ok.  That fight seemed to last longer. lol

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 04:47:13 PM »
okay so by my calculations (thanks to pl) if DOC is 10/26/2004, then her due date would be 8/1/05.  Todays date on island is 12/25-26/04 (isn't it?) so she is well into her 1st trimester.  using 10/26/04 as the DOC her 3rd trimester would start on 4/29/05.  so they get off the island somewhere between now and then.  with a doc of 10/26/04 it would be really hard to fool an ultrasound, or even a doctor with saying you got pg before the crash.  

Offline anavrin

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 04:58:06 PM »
okay so by my calculations (thanks to pl) if DOC is 10/26/2004, then her due date would be 8/1/05.  Todays date on island is 12/25-26/04 (isn't it?) so she is well into her 1st trimester.  using 10/26/04 as the DOC her 3rd trimester would start on 4/29/05.  so they get off the island somewhere between now and then.  with a doc of 10/26/04 it would be really hard to fool an ultrasound, or even a doctor with saying you got pg before the crash.  

If DOC is 10/26/04, assuming she ovulated on day 14 of her cycle so that her LMP started 10/12/04, her due date would be 7/19/05.  But still, again assuming a 28 day cycle and ovulation on day 14, the next earlier DOC would be 9/28/04.  Still after the crash.  So, the DOC would have to be on her PREVIOUS cycle, roughly at the beginning of September, giving a due date the first day of May and now we're 2.5 months off schedule -- something a doctor seriously would notice.

However, don't we have some indication that time on the island moves more slowly than the outside world?  So if her first trimester is roughly 3 months... and that equates to 5 or 6 months on the outside (I'm making that up)... aren't we even further skewed?  She gets rescued mid-2nd trimester (say 4.5 mos), but that's really 9 months on the outside that she's been gone, then how do they explain the paternity of the baby?

Maybe that's part of the "controversy" and has to do with Hurley's reaction?  Maybe under that circumstance, Hurley stepped up and said he was the baby's father.  Eek!

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 05:01:47 PM »
LOL @ Hurley & Sun.  Great calculations, LB & anavrin.

I had wondered the same thing...if the "time moves differently on the Island" thing is a factor here.  They have some 'splainin' to do. :-\

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 05:05:48 PM »
i won't buy into the time moved differently thing until they slap me upside the head with it. 

If DOC is 10/26/04, assuming she ovulated on day 14 of her cycle so that her LMP started 10/12/04, her due date would be 7/19/05.  But still, again assuming a 28 day cycle and ovulation on day 14, the next earlier DOC would be 9/28/04.  Still after the crash.  So, the DOC would have to be on her PREVIOUS cycle, roughly at the beginning of September, giving a due date the first day of May and now we're 2.5 months off schedule -- something a doctor seriously would notice.

However, don't we have some indication that time on the island moves more slowly than the outside world?  So if her first trimester is roughly 3 months... and that equates to 5 or 6 months on the outside (I'm making that up)... aren't we even further skewed?  She gets rescued mid-2nd trimester (say 4.5 mos), but that's really 9 months on the outside that she's been gone, then how do they explain the paternity of the baby?

Maybe that's part of the "controversy" and has to do with Hurley's reaction?  Maybe under that circumstance, Hurley stepped up and said he was the baby's father.  Eek!
thank you!  i forgot about going from LMP.  okay.  wow.  see though what you said further supports what i was coming up with.  there is no way she could fool a dr into thinking she got preggers off island.  so here's my next question (it's okay you can shoot me after it) could the baby really be michael's?  i know we've seen crazy speculation, could it be true?  or could she pass it off as such?