Author Topic: Ben's Achilles Heel  (Read 3791 times)

Offline fieldy32

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Ben's Achilles Heel
« on: March 09, 2008, 03:05:38 PM »
I don't understand why people disliked this episode so much, even more so than Eggtown.  C'mon, Eggtown blew compared to this epidsode.  Anyway, about the Achilles Heel thing.  Juliette is Ben's weak spot, and this episode proved it.  I think this episode is one that we're going to end up coming back to later on in the series.  Trust me, this whole Ben/Juliette thing is going to be important. If Ben goes down at some point in the series, it'll be because of this crazy psycho love he has for Juliette.  I thought, overall, this was a good episode.  Wasn't the greatest, but by no means did it deserve the craptastic ratings it got.  WE FINALLY GOT TO SEE BEN LOSE CONTROL PEOPLE!!!! DOESN'T THAT COUNT FOR ANYTHING!!!!  Ok, I'm done now... you may commence on destroying this post.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Ben's Achilles Heel
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 04:50:32 PM »
I liked it too....

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 06:40:22 PM »
Yeah, I just commented the ratings saying I liked this episode and that it was definitely better than Eggtown.  It had a nice mix of character developing and mystery revealing.

Offline Gmonkey

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 08:24:31 PM »
too right, i think there is a common feeling on the forums that juliet will be dead this season, and although i dont like her, i think she could be used to bring down Ben

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 08:37:27 PM »
Gmonkey, if you're curious how many people think Juliet will die, you could start a poll. Actually there's already one around here somewhere that asks who we think will die this season. I think Jin or Sun might be leading that one.

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 09:26:07 PM »
I like Juliet. She's vulnerable, but gutsy. You never know what she's going to do! I don't think she'll die. She definitely will feature in Ben's future plot line.

Offline stinger456

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 11:11:50 PM »
I too think juliet will die soon, maybe this is what drives ben to start picking people off, if he hasn't already been doing so.

Offline DizzyIzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 11:15:26 PM »
I think people either like the sci-fi/ time travel part of Lost or they like the character/story.  And then there are silly people like me who really enjoy the original plane crashed characters over the others... I really dislike the Ben character, he's got all the personality traits I try to avoid in life.  Juliet is too freaking complex for my simple mind... I just don't care about her.

I think Ben's Achilles Heel is his ego.  He's make it without Juliet, but he'll never survive without being king.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 12:20:30 AM »
This is a terrific thread - it really gets to the heart of the matter.  Ben has a chink in his armor.  Locke isn't destroying Ben, but Juliet possibly could.  And Jack is in worse trouble than I suspected.

Thanks, Fieldy2

Offline Bostonlost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 01:06:50 AM »
From a odyssey stand point I always thought Locke was Achilles

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 03:57:07 AM »
Good thread. :)

Ben is emotionally invested in Alex & Juliet, but I agree with DizzyI that he is a slave to his own ego.

Offline Walkabout

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 08:50:10 AM »
 IMO Ben's true Achilles heel is because he is always the smartest man in the room in his eyes.This was evident in the way he handled his surgery. He assumed he had Jack figured out and was manipulating him through Kate. How did that work for him? I think Juliet is a distraction to him and that causes dilemmas.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 11:22:40 AM »
The Shadow which devours him is cast by himself.

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 12:41:24 PM »
Has anyone ever given any more thought to how Ben woke up during surgery?

When Jack was operating on his tumour he miraculously woke up and started talking,

I wonder how/if that will ever play in future episodes?

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 02:42:20 PM »
The Shadow which devours him is cast by himself.
oooooooooooohhhhh....good stuff.  Asmodean original?