Author Topic: the Purge, take 2...  (Read 11039 times)

Offline solost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: the Purge, take 2...
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 05:27:46 PM »
WAIT!
First of.... Ben didn't use the Tempest to "PURGE" the island the first time. Ben drives off with his dad and stops along the volanoe ridge at that point Ben and dad are talking about it being his mothers birthday and at that point Ben pulls a gas granade from his workers suit and slaps a gas mask on and pulls the pin. His dad dies instantly and it seems to be o.k. for Ben to breathe the air afterwards. Flash back to OTHERSVILLE and we find that anyone not with the PURGE has died and is lying scattered across the village. I would think that if the Tempest was used the first time Ben wouldn't have had to gas his dad.
I don't agree, when Ben killed his father I think there was a sick  joy that Ben got by seeing is father die. If you remember the scene after the purge when Ben goes back to otherville, there are no canisters anywhere, not one. I think they did you the Tempest. All the others had gasmasks so they were not killed.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 05:34:34 PM »
WAIT!
First of.... Ben didn't use the Tempest to "PURGE" the island the first time. Ben drives off with his dad and stops along the volanoe ridge at that point Ben and dad are talking about it being his mothers birthday and at that point Ben pulls a gas granade from his workers suit and slaps a gas mask on and pulls the pin. His dad dies instantly and it seems to be o.k. for Ben to breathe the air afterwards. Flash back to OTHERSVILLE and we find that anyone not with the PURGE has died and is lying scattered across the village. I would think that if the Tempest was used the first time Ben wouldn't have had to gas his dad.
I don't agree, when Ben killed his father I think there was a sick  joy that Ben got by seeing is father die. If you remember the scene after the purge when Ben goes back to otherville, there are no canisters anywhere, not one. I think they did you the Tempest. All the others had gasmasks so they were not killed.

see my previous post

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 05:35:47 PM »
"IF" the tempest is and was used as some suspect as the origin of the PURGE then there would have to be a huge tunnel system and ducts running all over the island.
Time for the PURGE, hit the button, false flowers and trees bend and out pops a gas gun to deploy the Tempest gas compound.

I'm finding that hard to come by, but the idea of gas cans and wind theory is better.
If the Tempest does release the gas it would expose the entire island and not just OTHERSVILLE.

Oh wait a minute oh no I didn't, Is this why Kelven walks around the island in a gas suit?

Offline gjohnson

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 05:36:08 PM »
Gas canisters were used in Otherville as well as the Dharma bus during the purge. It seemed to have nothing to do with the Tempest.

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 05:39:02 PM »
Binge --> Purge
Binge --> Purge
Binge --> Purge
Binge --> Purge
Binge --> Purge
Binge --> Purge
Binge --> Purge
Binge --> Purge

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 05:46:59 PM »
WAIT!
I think that Ben gassed his dad with the canister for that personal touch that his dad so very much deserved.. to show him that he's the one taking his life.  I think the Tempest was used before to gas the Dharma folks since it would have taken quite a few grenades to gas them all out in the open air like that.  I would think the area affected by the gas would be subject to wind conditions and using individual grenades wouldn't have been as effective as a widespread gassing.  The folks seemed to have died right where they were... personally, if I see grenades being tossed in my direction, I'm hauling ass.

actually, based off of my experience in the military its quite the opposite, if they used the tempest (which i dont think is right next to othersville) not only would wind have to be blowing right, but these gases would eventually be above their head/eye level, the gas would rise slightly, so it would not have an effect

however, using gas canisters like Ben did with his dad would be more effective, and spread more easily from close distances then that of the tempest

That's why I wonder, were the Other Others, Richard et. al. running around with canisters?

Can't rewatch right now, but if someone remembers? Was there a mention of how the first purge happened, what was used?

Obv. gas, hence the masks...but are we just supposed to suspend belief with what you mention about the gas rising, etc.  the average joe schoe might not know of that...
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline firemanandlostfan

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 05:47:23 PM »
"IF" the tempest is and was used as some suspect as the origin of the PURGE then there would have to be a huge tunnel system and ducts running all over the island.
Time for the PURGE, hit the button, false flowers and trees bend and out pops a gas gun to deploy the Tempest gas compound.

I'm finding that hard to come by, but the idea of gas cans and wind theory is better.
If the Tempest does release the gas it would expose the entire island and not just OTHERSVILLE.

Oh wait a minute oh no I didn't, Is this why Kelven walks around the island in a gas suit?

Hi Lost-in-detroit another Michigander here.  I have to agree with you on the tunnels theory, I have always thought that they had tunnels to get around the island, look at the comment Ben made to Ethan and Goodwin about making it to the crash sites on foot in a short period of time.  Plus the way people disappear around there like the lady last night they must duck into underground tunnels which would make sense as a good way to dispense the gas to do another purge.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 05:48:45 PM »
nah, no tunnels, Ben says to Goody-win, you can make it there on foot in an hour if you run...

F. Bacon

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 05:50:36 PM »
nah, no tunnels, Ben says to Goody-win, you can make it there on foot in an hour if you run...

no sh*t!!!! i run 3miles a day, 22-23 mins it takes me, if i run 5miles, i average 9min miles

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 05:51:05 PM »
There are def. tunnel systems running around the island. If someone has a screne cap of the OTHERSVILLE map it shows tunnel systems. Notes besides these tunnels read as ," DHIG tunnel blocked. Most of the notes to tunnels read this.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 05:53:12 PM »
no denying there are tunnels, just do nt think they were used to get places like the beach and for what's her face to appear and disappear with Juliet and Jack...that was Smoky...the whispers etc.

F. Bacon

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 05:56:29 PM »
Anybody have thoughts on HOW Ben seems to keep sending and receiving intel?

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2008, 05:59:14 PM »
I really don't think that Harper meeting Juliet was Smokey. Smokey has only made his presence in the form of dead people. I don't think that Harper is dead seeing that we were shown Harper when Oceanic 815 splits apart in midair. I have recalled Smokey only appearing as dead people or animals.

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2008, 06:00:30 PM »
Anybody have thoughts on HOW Ben seems to keep sending and receiving intel?

Carrier pigeon?  ???

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008, 06:03:07 PM »
I really don't think that Harper meeting Juliet was Smokey. Smokey has only made his presence in the form of dead people. I don't think that Harper is dead seeing that we were shown Harper when Oceanic 815 splits apart in midair. I have recalled Smokey only appearing as dead people or animals.

She wasn't in the original scene for that episode nor did Juliet seem so dumbfuzzled (reshoot?).  I think she was spliced like Nikki was to create the backstory.