Author Topic: Charlotte Lewis ... how does she know???  (Read 11757 times)

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte Lewis ... how does she know???
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 07:00:28 PM »
I don't know if Widmore is (was?) Dharma, but I think he knows about it.

We know from her flashback that Charlotte is something of a student of Dharma. She looked for that polar bear's collar. So Charlotte might well know about the purge. And Widmore hired her in part because of that knowledge.

Offline Point Place WI

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 07:05:05 PM »
Well if some are wondering a connection between Hanso/Widmore & Dharma the video of Penny's dad could have easily just explained it.  One of Hanso's original dharma islanders (the blindfolded mystery man) could have gotten off the island and Penny's dad beat the answer of how to get to the island or on it based on some coordinate "305" but in all actuality it was suppose to be "315" and eventually Widmore and company figured it out. 

Offline JF

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 07:06:20 PM »
Don't forget that Charlotte is CS Lewis. Her name has intentional meaning. Given this Chronicles of Narnia reference, I think it makes a lot more sense that she has been on the island before. Witness:  A) her recognition of the Dharma polar bear, B) her "I'm back home at last" look when she first fell into the water and splashed around a bit. She would be like the Pevensies, who return to Narnia at any old time, and I'm thinking especially of the beginning of Prince Caspian, where they return for the first time. Charlotte may very well know about the Purge because she was ON the island (in some unknown capacity, at some unknown age).

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 07:52:46 PM »
Ben said that it was one of his people...(not that his word means much...)
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 12:01:16 AM »
Don't forget that Charlotte is CS Lewis. Her name has intentional meaning. Given this Chronicles of Narnia reference, I think it makes a lot more sense that she has been on the island before. Witness:  A) her recognition of the Dharma polar bear, B) her "I'm back home at last" look when she first fell into the water and splashed around a bit. She would be like the Pevensies, who return to Narnia at any old time, and I'm thinking especially of the beginning of Prince Caspian, where they return for the first time. Charlotte may very well know about the Purge because she was ON the island (in some unknown capacity, at some unknown age).

this is interesting

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 07:41:44 AM »
Yeah, but there are a gazillion literary references on Lost. So far we've no reason to take this one any more seriously than, say, Of Mice and Men.

Offline Sark99

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 08:52:21 AM »
Don't we have to go back to when Desmond turned the key in the hatch, all that magnetic stuff went down, and that's when the island became visible for a second or two to those guys monitoring from the Arctic?  Weren't those guys working for Widmore, or at least Penny W.?

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 09:21:06 AM »
Welcome, Sark!

Sorry, not following how your questions fit in to this thread?

Offline gjohnson

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 10:01:06 AM »
Don't forget that Charlotte is CS Lewis. Her name has intentional meaning. Given this Chronicles of Narnia reference, I think it makes a lot more sense that she has been on the island before. Witness:  A) her recognition of the Dharma polar bear, B) her "I'm back home at last" look when she first fell into the water and splashed around a bit. She would be like the Pevensies, who return to Narnia at any old time, and I'm thinking especially of the beginning of Prince Caspian, where they return for the first time. Charlotte may very well know about the Purge because she was ON the island (in some unknown capacity, at some unknown age).

Yes, I had the same suspicion when she saw the Polar Bear.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 02:48:20 PM »
Welcome, Sark!

Sorry, not following how your questions fit in to this thread?

People were trying to figure out how Daddy Widmore knew where the island was.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 06:02:38 PM »

Charlotte couldn't be Annie's daughter, could she?  (It's hard to guess her age...)  Got the whole story from her mom?  I know we suspect that Annie is dead, but are we totally sure of that?

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 07:55:30 PM »
Well, Ben seems to be 40ish. Jack said so, and it fits with the car models we saw when Ben was born. Annie seemed to be about the same age. The actress who plays Charlotte is about 25. So, do you reckon early 20's is the youngest the character could be? If so, yeah it's possible she could be Annie's daughter.

I would bet money (well, a small amount) that she lost some loved one in the purge, so could be Annie.

In answer to another question, it doesn't appear that Annie died in the purge. If she had I think we would have seen Ben take a moment over her body, so as far as we know she's alive somewhere.

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 09:04:26 PM »
I think Charlotte has to be late-20's since she has her PhD, so probably not likely she's Annie's daughter.  Though it's not impossible, of course.

I love the idea that Charlotte been to the Island before - seems like all the clues are pointing to it.  Great post, JF!

Offline Hurley rocks dudes

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008, 09:11:22 PM »
so are we assuming that annie got off the island before the purge?

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2008, 10:35:27 PM »
Never know.  Maybe Ben had her on assignment somewhere.